Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 02:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Nothing done. They didn't address issues like nowadays. Those in authority mostly pretended they didn't hear or see anything.
Maybe it was different for you wherever you were, but where I went to school bullying was very rare and not tolerated in the least. When reported or discovered, the offender was sent to the principal's office, parents were called in and the kid was beaten when they got back home. I didn't bully, but got into a bit of different trouble now and then, and had a sore behind often from my father's belt or paddle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 07:38 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
[quote=LeaveWI;50410343]Exactly! I wonder why that is[/quote

jimj IS correct about the pack mentality and the viciousness of kids. Especially teens, and social media doesn't help. Like I said in an earlier post that jimj was replying to with the quote above, you can't fight that with your fists. I think this social media pack up stuff boils down to ....a slight negligence in upbringing. Parents need to watch what their kids are doing on social media and if the kids are pulling this smear, gang up crap it's a trip to the wood shed. Would have been for my son but thankfully he wouldn't have done such things. He didn't play FB games when he was in school. Course he had cattle and horses to tend to with me and other better things to do like hunting and fishing Kids who cyber bully I think have to much time on their hands for sure.

To many parents aren't actually raising their kids. Just watching them get bigger and older on the sidelines. If you obligated to actually raise them, or it used to be that way. When my son was born my "me" time pretty much ended for 18 years till he graduated and went off to tech school. I was on top of him growing up, but fairly early on he proved that he was wired for common decency. One scuffle he had I had to leave an out of town jobsite to go to the school because the police were called. He thrashed a playground bully who was shoving a weaker kid around. The teacher on yard duty saw the whole thing go down. My question is why didn't she intervene sooner?

The bully kid was a serious problem child and had an extensive record as such. It actually got funny when the cop finished his questioning. He was a big Somoan guy and when he walked in with my son and I all he said was "Well, took care of business huh" "Good job little bro." More kids with decent raising need to gang up back when this rat pack stuff is happening. Thing is kids with good upbringing are getting rare. It's really a shame.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:42 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,119,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Were there campaigns to end bullying? Were kids told to just deal with it and "man up?" I'm asking in light the whole Keaton controversy, but that's another topic.
I was told to defend myself. Bullying is different now, with social media, it's 24/7 in some cases. Some of these kids are committing suicide because of the torment they receive. Others get guns and shoot up schools. It's not the same as when I went to school.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:17 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
I had a rough start in junior high because of I just didn't like to fight, then I joined the football team. It ended.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:34 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,315 times
Schools need to reinstate corporal punishment and livestream it on Facebook

Old 10-01-2018, 09:04 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
A bigger, older kid was bullying my friends and I on the playground back in grade school (1970s). I finally took him on proceeded to get the crap kicked out of me. Got a couple of good shots in but I was overmatched.

Teacher's Aid came over to break it up and held the big kid back. I took that opportunity to send my foot flying into his ribs and then gave him another kick in the groin. POS deserved it.

It was not a fair fight to begin with so why should I have fought fair?

Epilogue:

I received periodic glares from the goon over the years but he never messed with me again. You can lose the fight but still send a powerful message that a price will be paid.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:27 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Schools need to reinstate corporal punishment and livestream it on Facebook
That will go over well.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:27 AM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I was told to defend myself. Bullying is different now, with social media, it's 24/7 in some cases. Some of these kids are committing suicide because of the torment they receive. Others get guns and shoot up schools. It's not the same as when I went to school.
Exactly true. I'm not sure we Boomers can even offer effective advice in this new environment.

But for sure, one thing schools can do better is offer better justice, such as the simple question of "Who started this first?" and base consequences on that factor rather than treating instigator and victim the same.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:29 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
That will go over well.
Or just live stream all the classes on Facebook. The parents don't believe their kids are being bad? School can send them the FB video of it.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:03 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Were there campaigns to end bullying? Were kids told to just deal with it and "man up?" I'm asking in light the whole Keaton controversy, but that's another topic.

Victims didn't readily commit suicide like they do today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies