Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 01:46 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
The constant changing of names/genders hasn't happened that I'm aware of, but the reasoning is that you should be able to decide your identity, and only you, which logically means that someone could switch it at any time and as many times as they want.

I highly recommend watching videos on the Jordan Peterson situation in Canada with bill C16. If you watch his videos specifically, he explains why he won't go along with it, and how it's more dangerous than they're leading people to believe...the law may not directly say you'll be punished for using the wrong pronouns, but in practice it will be carried out that way. In the formal debate he had at the University of Toronto, they got into an argument over that. It was pretty good.

It's been awhile since I watched, but I remember him talking about identity being a conversation, not something you dictate to others. I'll have to go back and find it because it was very convincing for me.
Well, if you cannot be the one to decide your own identity, then you're not really free.

And so much of this thread is about people being angry that they can't be the ones to decide other people's identities...while also saying they are being oppressed if they can't do that.

In the end, if people would just live and let live - we'd all be much better off.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:50 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
The freedom to be yourself is - its at the very heart of libertarianism...at least it used to be before they started supporting the goosesteppers.
I'm a very purist libertarian, and the heart of libertarianism is the non-aggression principle and respect for property rights. I agree you're free to be yourself, as long as you don't impose things on others when they haven't done anything wrong.

In the case of pronouns, it's only a libertarian issue when force is involved. A libertarian would be against forced speech. If it's just a matter of "should you call someone he if they want to be called she?" then that's outside of the purpose of libertarianism.

It's like all free speech. The libertarian philosophy is that you shouldn't be punished for giving your opinion, since you haven't harmed anyone. You can then debate whether it's rude and offensive to promote Adolf Hitler's ideas, but that's unrelated to libertarianism.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:52 PM

29 posts, read 27,705 times
ehhhh

Old 01-08-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Well, if you cannot be the one to decide your own identity, then you're not really free.

And so much of this thread is about people being angry that they can't be the ones to decide other people's identities...while also saying they are being oppressed if they can't do that.

In the end, if people would just live and let live - we'd all be much better off.
I agree on the last part. I also agree that you should be free to identify however you want. What I don't agree with is compelling others to identify you as whatever you decide. That violates their rights, the same way it violates the gender-fluid person's rights to force them to identify as whatever they (the non-gender-fluid person) decide. Neither should force it on each other.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:55 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
The constant changing of names/genders hasn't happened that I'm aware of, but the reasoning is that you should be able to decide your identity, and only you, which logically means that someone could switch it at any time and as many times as they want.

I highly recommend watching videos on the Jordan Peterson situation in Canada with bill C16. If you watch his videos specifically, he explains why he won't go along with it, and how it's more dangerous than they're leading people to believe...the law may not directly say you'll be punished for using the wrong pronouns, but in practice it will be carried out that way. In the formal debate he had at the University of Toronto, they got into an argument over that. It was pretty good.

It's been awhile since I watched, but I remember him talking about identity being a conversation, not something you dictate to others. I'll have to go back and find it because it was very convincing for me.
He is wonderful, so intelligent, and is a clinical psychiatrist and college professor. There are tons of his videos available for viewing, too.

He is 100% against the law, but when asked how he would address a transgender, he said: It depends. People are different and have different needs, and he'd have to talk to that particular person. He also said he got mail from a number of transgenders who AGREED with him. Logical, critical thinker and explains it all really well.

He has been on Joe Rogan alone, and alongside Bret Weinstein, and the intellect deficiency between the two is stunning, even though Bret is smarter than the average bear.

The law is open for any interpretation by the gov't. They could use it for almost anything.

People are so brainwashed that they do not understand what is BEHIND all this. They just think yay for diversity/trendy not understanding in the least that it is a SET UP. The very people who support the law will eventually be stung by it and then say BUT I DIDN'T KNOW!!

And we'll say, we tried to warn you ... told you to look it up and educate yourself .. but you knew best and trusted the gov't to tell you it was all Okey dokey.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:58 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Quote:
I agree on the last part. I also agree that you should be free to identify however you want. What I don't agree with is compelling others to identify you as whatever you decide. That violates their rights, the same way it violates the gender-fluid person's rights to force them to identify as whatever they (the non-gender-fluid person) decide.
Exactly.

By telling me what I can / cannot say, you are violating MY RIGHTS.

Funny how this is never recognized.

Which is why I revert to name only, pick your name, I will gladly call you by it. Every time. No pronoun ridiculousness. Not playing that game. Yet you've effectively banned words. Censorship.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:01 PM

31,027 posts, read 22,059,932 times
Gender Identity is a popularity contest. Looking back at the history of man kind we typically adapt to what ever is the Society Norm. Men/Men, Woman/Woman, Anything/Anything. All combinations were common in one society or another. Human being will adapt to all sorts things that we consider odd.

Americas
Among Indigenous peoples of the Americas prior to European colonization, a number of nations had respected roles for "Two-Spirited" people often believed to practice homosexual acts

Asia
In East Asia, same-sex love has been referred to since the earliest recorded history.

Europe
The earliest Western documents (in the form of literary works, art objects, and mythographic materials) concerning same-sex relationships are derived from ancient Greece.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_homosexuality

Old 01-08-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
He is wonderful, so intelligent, and is a clinical psychiatrist and college professor. There are tons of his videos available for viewing, too.

He is 100% against the law, but when asked how he would address a transgender, he said: It depends. People are different and have different needs, and he'd have to talk to that particular person. He also said he got mail from a number of transgenders who AGREED with him. Logical, critical thinker and explains it all really well.

He has been on Joe Rogan alone, and alongside Bret Weinstein, and the intellect deficiency between the two is stunning, even though Bret is smarter than the average bear.

The law is open for any interpretation by the gov't. They could use it for almost anything.

People are so brainwashed that they do not understand what is BEHIND all this. They just think yay for diversity/trendy not understanding in the least that it is a SET UP. The very people who support the law will eventually be stung by it and then say BUT I DIDN'T KNOW!!

And we'll say, we tried to warn you ... told you to look it up and educate yourself .. but you knew best and trusted the gov't to tell you it was all Okey dokey.
Yep, agreed. I did watch those, and a lot of others. I even watched his whole personality lecture series. He's great.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:04 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
For the uninitiated:

Gender Fluid | Gender Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

To me it all sounds like a bunch of crap.
It's crap in that it's a euphemism for boredom

Old 01-08-2018, 02:06 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Some men think that they are a cat, some men think that they are a woman. In both cases it's a mental disorder.
absolutely, sums it up pretty well

But in today's climate, if you don't pander and normalize everyone's dysfunction you are labeled with every nasty word in the book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies