Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 01:00 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
For the uninitiated:

Gender Fluid | Gender Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

To me it all sounds like a bunch of crap.
WTH?????

Old 01-08-2018, 01:04 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,815,089 times
All I know is if that if the men’s restroom is filthy or has a long line and the women’s restroom does not, according to liberals I can feel like a man one day and like a woman on another day so if i suddenly feel like I’m a woman and enter the women’s restroom no has the right to tell me otherwise or make me pee or take a dump in the men’s restroom per liberals.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:09 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
I did find this although I know people will call it fake news because of the url.

First grader sent to office for 'misgendering' fellow student | Fox News
OK, so a teacher sent a kid to the office...hardly the giant horrible oppressive threat that people here are making it out to be.

Heck, I just saw a video from Indiana where a kid got taken out of school in cuffs for defending himself...because a teacher called the cops.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:12 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
OK, so a teacher sent a kid to the office...hardly the giant horrible oppressive threat that people here are making it out to be.

Heck, I just saw a video from Indiana where a kid got taken out of school in cuffs for defending himself...because a teacher called the cops.
yeah..like a 6 year old is supposed to know better ?
You just dismissed that incident like it didn't even happen.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:23 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post

I mean...If I want you to call me Daddy, you may not feel comfortable with that. Should you have to call me Daddy? What if my feelings are hurt if you don't? I think it's a two-way street. Both sides need to agree on what to call each other instead of one side forcing compliance from the other.
I think I can agree with this, Daddy-o

Old 01-08-2018, 01:24 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That kind of bunk is why rational people stop being libertarian before they are twenty years old. Society needs some kind of social structure, people just go nuts without it.

No you don't get to choose "identity". You have a legal name, a social security number and a sex on your birth certificate. That sex is your gender, that name and number is your identity. I suppose you want to leave the sex blank on the birth certificate until the baby decides, and make sure it is in pencil if zhe changes zhe's mind.
The pronoun thing isn't libertarian, for the record... And Libertarians do believe in social structure, but limited to the prevention of force/violence, theft, and fraud. No laws punishing people who haven't actually harmed anyone.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:25 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Hey man you never know. When I start to think about how and why we were created, how and what created what was created before we came to exist my mind starts to hurt.How does all of this just exist from nothing? The universe within the universe within the universe and so on and so forth.

Was talking about this with friends on another subforum, I agree; if God came and explained all of this to me, I'm pretty sure my head would explode.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
yeah..like a 6 year old is supposed to know better ?
You just dismissed that incident like it didn't even happen.
No, LOL.....I acknowledged it - in WRITING no less. And once more: A kid got sent to the office. But I also pointed out that its not the giant sky-is-falling scenario that you first made it out to be.

And we agree, how can a kid of that age know better?

Old 01-08-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
The pronoun thing isn't libertarian, for the record... And Libertarians do believe in social structure, but limited to the prevention of force/violence, theft, and fraud. No laws punishing people who haven't actually harmed anyone.

The freedom to be yourself is - its at the very heart of libertarianism...at least it used to be before they started supporting the goosesteppers.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:41 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Well, if someone keeps changing names over and over that is confusing to everyone. But do you have a specific example of that happening or is this hypothetical?

And where are people being punished by law for getting someone's gender wrong? Where in the world is it against the law? Have never seen that anywhere.

And finally, the thing about identity is that its something each person chooses for themselves. Others are not entitled to decide what someone's identity it. They are always entitles to an opinion, but not to decide their identity. Its the ultimate libertarian issue - the freedom to choose your own identity and not have it dictated by anyone else.
The constant changing of names/genders hasn't happened that I'm aware of, but the reasoning is that you should be able to decide your identity, and only you, which logically means that someone could switch it at any time and as many times as they want.

I highly recommend watching videos on the Jordan Peterson situation in Canada with bill C16. If you watch his videos specifically, he explains why he won't go along with it, and how it's more dangerous than they're leading people to believe...the law may not directly say you'll be punished for using the wrong pronouns, but in practice it will be carried out that way. In the formal debate he had at the University of Toronto, they got into an argument over that. It was pretty good.

It's been awhile since I watched, but I remember him talking about identity being a conversation, not something you dictate to others. I'll have to go back and find it because it was very convincing for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies