Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 11:46 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
So who EXACTLY told you to call them a certain something you did not want to call them? When? Where exactly? How did you respond? C'mon, tell us - it sounds like it was very traumatic for you since you get triggered every time these topics come up here.

By your logic, if someone told you his name was Steve and you'd didn't want to be "forced" to call him Steve - you'd call him Tom because that made you feel more comfortable. How dare Steve tell me what to say! I'll decide what his name is!

Decency and respect - its not that hard.
If you see a guy you are going to use the words "he" and "him" and "sir".
That is decency and respect.

Why should they be punished if they had no idea that HE wants to be a SHE in his mind ?

Example: First grader got in trouble for "misgendering" because a boy classmate became a girl in his mind over the summer and changed his name to a girl's name. She called him by the name she knew him and got in trouble.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:48 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
How do you determine what makes anyone masculine or feminine? Is there a check list? How often do you get to flip?

A girl with a masculine side is still a girl. A boy with a feminine side is still a boy. How is this a problem?
Reading this will give you a good start.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/m...nder-identity/

then this.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0107082133.htm

and this.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...ing-it-up.html

Old 01-08-2018, 12:07 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
How do you determine what makes anyone masculine or feminine? Is there a check list? How often do you get to flip?

A girl with a masculine side is still a girl. A boy with a feminine side is still a boy. How is this a problem?
Exactly.

We used to say that's a woman who has a hobby. Or likes to wear boots. Or likes a natural look of no makeup. But she was always a woman who just liked what she liked.

AND NO ONE HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT.

Now she's some sort of gender fluid gobbeldy mess who needs a separate bathroom and a law to protect her feelings if someone calls her HE instead of SHE. And she needs to make sure all 5 yr olds are trained from that age on that boys can have vaginas and girls can have penises, because girls can be boys and boys can be girls.

It's ridiculous.

Leave them alone. Leave people ALONE.

Let them be who they want to be without all the flipping labels and classifications and check boxes and separate bathrooms. It's amazing how much the liberal contingent, which portrays itself as all inclusive, wants to label and classify humans to death. So that they can all demand different treatment and services. Talk about trying to divide and conquer. Because equality and diversity and tolerance and stuff.

It's ABSURD.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:07 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
So who EXACTLY told you to call them a certain something you did not want to call them? When? Where exactly? How did you respond? C'mon, tell us - it sounds like it was very traumatic for you since you get triggered every time these topics come up here.

By your logic, if someone told you his name was Steve and you'd didn't want to be "forced" to call him Steve - you'd call him Tom because that made you feel more comfortable. How dare Steve tell me what to say! I'll decide what his name is!

Decency and respect - its not that hard.
I actually almost included this as an example earlier. I was going to say that people like to compare it to names, and they'll say it's disrespectful to not call someone the name they prefer to be called, so why refer to them with pronouns they don't want to be called?

On a purely practical level, if my name is Tom and I want to be addressed as Steve, that's not a big deal. If I keep changing my name based on how I feel that day, that's going to create some problems. I think that's part of the concern.

On the legal side, if you're punished by law (which we've seen in other countries, and we aren't magically immune to) for not addressing me the way I like, that's an even bigger issue. Even if you argue it's rude, being rude isn't a crime. I assume you'd agree on that.

I mean...If I want you to call me Daddy, you may not feel comfortable with that. Should you have to call me Daddy? What if my feelings are hurt if you don't? I think it's a two-way street. Both sides need to agree on what to call each other instead of one side forcing compliance from the other.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:10 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Fair enough.

More that there's crazier things that we accommodate.... like the concept that a human being is the son of some creature that that single-handedly created the universe.
Hey man you never know. When I start to think about how and why we were created, how and what created what was created before we came to exist my mind starts to hurt.How does all of this just exist from nothing? The universe within the universe within the universe and so on and so forth.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post

Example: First grader got in trouble for "misgendering" because a boy classmate became a girl in his mind over the summer and changed his name to a girl's name. She called him by the name she knew him and got in trouble.
Now that is messed up to do to a kid! Did that really happen to your child? When was that?

Old 01-08-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I actually almost included this as an example earlier. I was going to say that people like to compare it to names, and they'll say it's disrespectful to not call someone the name they prefer to be called, so why refer to them with pronouns they don't want to be called?

On a purely practical level, if my name is Tom and I want to be addressed as Steve, that's not a big deal. If I keep changing my name based on how I feel that day, that's going to create some problems. I think that's part of the concern.

On the legal side, if you're punished by law (which we've seen in other countries, and we aren't magically immune to) for not addressing me the way I like, that's an even bigger issue. Even if you argue it's rude, being rude isn't a crime. I assume you'd agree on that.

I mean...If I want you to call me Daddy, you may not feel comfortable with that. Should you have to call me Daddy? What if my feelings are hurt if you don't? I think it's a two-way street. Both sides need to agree on what to call each other instead of one side forcing compliance from the other.
Well, if someone keeps changing names over and over that is confusing to everyone. But do you have a specific example of that happening or is this hypothetical?

And where are people being punished by law for getting someone's gender wrong? Where in the world is it against the law? Have never seen that anywhere.

And finally, the thing about identity is that its something each person chooses for themselves. Others are not entitled to decide what someone's identity it. They are always entitles to an opinion, but not to decide their identity. Its the ultimate libertarian issue - the freedom to choose your own identity and not have it dictated by anyone else.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:29 PM

And also, people who are somewhere between the two main genders is nothing new and they have been known and accepted in many societies around the world. In Mexico, Hawaii, India, Egypt, Indonesia, South America, and in Native American tribes they are called "Two Spirit" and are seen to have a special spiritual role.

So, this is nothing new and chances are you know one or are related to one.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:32 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,074,803 times
Quote:
Now that is messed up to do to a kid! Did that really happen to your child? When was that?
Not my kid. Happened in California last year..Rocklin Academy. You can google it.
In CA, gender is a protected class.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:35 PM

19,643 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Well, if someone keeps changing names over and over that is confusing to everyone. But do you have a specific example of that happening or is this hypothetical?

And where are people being punished by law for getting someone's gender wrong? Where in the world is it against the law? Have never seen that anywhere.

And finally, the thing about identity is that its something each person chooses for themselves. Others are not entitled to decide what someone's identity it. They are always entitles to an opinion, but not to decide their identity. Its the ultimate libertarian issue - the freedom to choose your own identity and not have it dictated by anyone else.
That kind of bunk is why rational people stop being libertarian before they are twenty years old. Society needs some kind of social structure, people just go nuts without it.

No you don't get to choose "identity". You have a legal name, a social security number and a sex on your birth certificate. That sex is your gender, that name and number is your identity. I suppose you want to leave the sex blank on the birth certificate until the baby decides, and make sure it is in pencil if zhe changes zhe's mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies