Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 05:18 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. The problem is... that once here, refugees and illegal immigrants only focus on trying to stay in America, not go back to improve their broken country.

I think that the refugee system is very cruel. Think of the saying "a luxury once sampled becomes a necessity"... we should never take in foreigners in times of crisis. We should only send aid and keep them there. It's cruel to let them sample a taste of life in a First World Country, then send them back. And it's not fair to their children either. BTW I don't want refugees to ever stay in America forever.

I also don't like that immigrants send US money back to their home countries. The money they earn should stay in this country.
People can do what they want with their hard-earned money. It’s a free country. If you don’t like, find yourself in China, North Korea or the like.

As a born American, I send money to my grandmother who lives in my country of descent. Why? Because I come from a home and culture that respects the elderly, especially those in our families. It is my responsibility to care for the elders in my family.

You may not understand such things but that is your problem. Worry about your own money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 05:22 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Any country where people risk their lives to get away from could probably be described as a s**thole.

My own wife, an immigrant, comes from such a country and she even states it is as a s**thole.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Haiti was an abomination centuries before, and running right up to Duvalier.
Well of course. Haiti was paying France what ended up being a total of $21 billion as reparations until 1947. France extorted those monies, threatening to invade and re-enslave Haitians if they didn’t pay them for their loss of slaves. The U.S. and the other European powers with slaves supported France and refused to trade with Haiti. That’s why Haiti was poor prior to the Duvaliers. The colonial powers didn’t want their slaves getting any ideas about become independent.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:30 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,241,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muroa345 View Post
My problem with the criticism of Trump is that it's often misplaced. People SHOULD be outraged that he's a narcissist with no qualifications to be president and had no expectation or interest in even winning! He just wanted to be more famous and build his brand without the rigors of the office. Instead, since we live in such an over the top politically correct culture, people go nuts over the things he said instead of the alarming fact that the man who is POTUS in incompetent and unqualified to do the job.

The comments on Haiti.. was he really wrong? Google pictures of Haiti and you will immediately see slums, the likes of which probably have no equal in the modern world. What is your first reaction when you think of Haiti or Port Au Prince? You might not think "****hole" but I'm sure you won't think of a well developed, modern country either. I'm QUITE sure you won't be planning a trip or a vacation there any time soon, even if it were offered to you all expenses paid!

So they were discussing immigration and Trump asked why they keep taking endless immigrants from the poorest countries with the least to contribute versus other countries. He said it rather inelegantly but he's not really wrong to ask why we keep endlessly taking in the poorest of the poor instead of the best and brightest.

Like it or not, many Americans feel the same way and it's not racism. Trump ran on this issue and it resonated with lots of people and not just Trump supporters or the "deplorables!
The country has limited resources and has the right enforce it's borders as well as choose who comes here and how much they contribute to society. Even Canada has a much stricter immigration system than we do, where it is based on points and merits and what they will contribute versus ours which is based mainly on family sponsorship.

The outrage over this reminds me of his comments about Mexico as well. That they are not sending their best, that many are criminals and rapists. Again.. is this really wrong? He didn't say ALL people from Mexico are rapists and criminals, he's saying a disproportionate amount of the ones who are coming here (many illegally) are. Ask someone who lives in a border town how they feel. Look at the rise of gangs like MS-13.
If you were one of the offended, would you relocate to a town near the Mexico border if you had an opportunity or a compelling reason? Why not? I'll bet you'd be hesitant for reasons of crime, yet you hypocritically condemn Trump for saying this out loud.

This is the problem with our overly politically correct society. It's almost forced group-think. The moment someone goes off script, the group pounces and demands a retraction, an apology or even seeks to destroy the individual who said it. We recently had the Golden Globes and the liberal elite pounced on an actress who simply wore a red dress when the politically correct mandate was to wear black. The irony that they were collectively shaming her for her appearance in an event that was supposed to empower women was apparently lost on them!

I have lots of problems with Trump. I didn't vote for him and never would. He's a narcissist, he's completely unqualified and I believe the stories that say he never even expected to win. That such an unqualified man inhabits the oval office and has such power is far more disturbing to me than anything he says that is off color or not politically correct.
That's the problem with this country and most of the outrage against Trump! More people are offended that he dares to be not politically correct than they are worried that we have a man who is not qualified or capable of executing the duties of the highest office in the land!
One has to accurate identify the problem before it can be solved, thus the problem with political correctness.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:30 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Well of course. Haiti was paying France what ended up being a total of $21 billion as reparations until 1947. France extorted those monies, threatening to invade and re-enslave Haitians if they didn’t pay them for their loss of slaves. The U.S. and the other European powers with slaves supported France and refused to trade with Haiti. That’s why Haiti was poor prior to the Duvaliers. The colonial powers didn’t want their slaves getting any ideas about become independent.
Haiti was poor from their inception, centuries before paying France.

They remain poor as they never developed the types of industries and corps which make first world nations like the US, Germany, etc first rate.

Their economy and their people have always maintained a primitive mindset.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:48 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,229,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If Europeans had stayed where they belonged and tried to better themselves and fix their own countries, America would be a far better place today. The white man's arrival brought nothing but disease (smallpox and syphillis), crime (murder and rape of the Native Americans. and eventually piracy), and deforestation and slaughter of the wildlife (for the profit of a few). The native tribes were repaid for their kindness by being decimated and forced off of their land, and some species such as the passenger pigeon were hunted to extinction.

You're right - maybe they should stay home. We don't need any more immigrants like the last bunch.
That is laughable. The Amerindians were a dying, failed civilization. In contrast to this modern leftist kumbaya interpretation of them as a peaceful people, they were in fact brutally savage, fought amongst themselves, and atrocities of war and justice were routine.

They had 15,000 years of undisturbed solitude and what did they accomplish with it? Not a damn thing. They left nothing except some scratches in the rocks and some pottery. The most advanced managed to pile a bunch of rocks or mud bricks on top of dirt mounds to make some pyramidal temples. Whoop de doo. No STEM to speak of, extreme superstition/religiosity and essentially no understanding of the natural universe (which probably explains why they were chopping the hearts out of virgins and throwing babies off the temples and such stuff).

If the Europeans had never come to the Americas, they would either be in virtually the same condition or extinct.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:52 PM

62,993 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. The problem is... that once here, refugees and illegal immigrants only focus on trying to stay in America, not go back to improve their broken country.

I think that the refugee system is very cruel. Think of the saying "a luxury once sampled becomes a necessity"... we should never take in foreigners in times of crisis. We should only send aid and keep them there. It's cruel to let them sample a taste of life in a First World Country, then send them back. And it's not fair to their children either. BTW I don't want refugees to ever stay in America forever.

I also don't like that immigrants send US money back to their home countries. The money they earn should stay in this country.

The absolute truth. I wonder if those that are so in favor of allowing refugees into our country temporarily as the Haitians have, thought about that?

Old 01-13-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Haiti was poor from their inception, centuries before paying France.

They remain poor as they never developed the types of industries and corps which make first world nations like the US, Germany, etc first rate.

Their economy and their people have always maintained a primitive mindset.
What in the world are you talking about? Those who currently occupy Haiti overwhelmingly descend from Africans brought there as slaves by the French.

So what centuries before paying France are you talking about? Before that, the Haiti as we know it did not exist.

Goodness gracious. Read a book already.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:32 PM

34,068 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
What in the world are you talking about? Those who currently occupy Haiti overwhelmingly descend from Africans brought there as slaves by the French.

Those who currently occupy Haiti should fix Haiti.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:38 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,229,128 times
PC is a tool of communist subversion. Its anti-intellectual, aggressive, oppressive, and just plain STUPID. And only stupid aggressive commies promote it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies