Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 06:01 AM

5 posts, read 3,993 times

Advertisements

My problem with the criticism of Trump is that it's often misplaced. People SHOULD be outraged that he's a narcissist with no qualifications to be president and had no expectation or interest in even winning! He just wanted to be more famous and build his brand without the rigors of the office. Instead, since we live in such an over the top politically correct culture, people go nuts over the things he said instead of the alarming fact that the man who is POTUS in incompetent and unqualified to do the job.

The comments on Haiti.. was he really wrong? Google pictures of Haiti and you will immediately see slums, the likes of which probably have no equal in the modern world. What is your first reaction when you think of Haiti or Port Au Prince? You might not think "****hole" but I'm sure you won't think of a well developed, modern country either. I'm QUITE sure you won't be planning a trip or a vacation there any time soon, even if it were offered to you all expenses paid!

So they were discussing immigration and Trump asked why they keep taking endless immigrants from the poorest countries with the least to contribute versus other countries. He said it rather inelegantly but he's not really wrong to ask why we keep endlessly taking in the poorest of the poor instead of the best and brightest.

Like it or not, many Americans feel the same way and it's not racism. Trump ran on this issue and it resonated with lots of people and not just Trump supporters or the "deplorables!
The country has limited resources and has the right enforce it's borders as well as choose who comes here and how much they contribute to society. Even Canada has a much stricter immigration system than we do, where it is based on points and merits and what they will contribute versus ours which is based mainly on family sponsorship.

The outrage over this reminds me of his comments about Mexico as well. That they are not sending their best, that many are criminals and rapists. Again.. is this really wrong? He didn't say ALL people from Mexico are rapists and criminals, he's saying a disproportionate amount of the ones who are coming here (many illegally) are. Ask someone who lives in a border town how they feel. Look at the rise of gangs like MS-13.
If you were one of the offended, would you relocate to a town near the Mexico border if you had an opportunity or a compelling reason? Why not? I'll bet you'd be hesitant for reasons of crime, yet you hypocritically condemn Trump for saying this out loud.

This is the problem with our overly politically correct society. It's almost forced group-think. The moment someone goes off script, the group pounces and demands a retraction, an apology or even seeks to destroy the individual who said it. We recently had the Golden Globes and the liberal elite pounced on an actress who simply wore a red dress when the politically correct mandate was to wear black. The irony that they were collectively shaming her for her appearance in an event that was supposed to empower women was apparently lost on them!

I have lots of problems with Trump. I didn't vote for him and never would. He's a narcissist, he's completely unqualified and I believe the stories that say he never even expected to win. That such an unqualified man inhabits the oval office and has such power is far more disturbing to me than anything he says that is off color or not politically correct.
That's the problem with this country and most of the outrage against Trump! More people are offended that he dares to be not politically correct than they are worried that we have a man who is not qualified or capable of executing the duties of the highest office in the land!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 06:19 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
IMO, people like Trump, Hillary etc, have never had to struggle for anything or do any sort of work that made them break a sweat. And they will never know so they all assume that people who are fleeing these countries are the worst of the worst that's NOT they want a better life for themselves. And who wouldn't?
Can tell me that you would try to move some place better if you came from one of these place.
And what Trump said was this " He said I ASSUME some are good people." This nation was built BY those who came from other countries.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:33 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Interesting that the “good people on every side” perspective is quickly disposed when it involves certain people. No, Haiti is not well-developed and has a litany of problems. However, it has many amazing, hard-working people and such a rich culture. So no, I would never describe it in the manner that Trump did.

And you are DEAD WRONG because Haiti is definitely on my list of places to visit! It is beautiful! It has many very poor places that may be tough to see but it is beautiful still! I will definitely be visiting the Citadelle, Labadee, Kokoye Beach and going out to dance kompa! If my trip was all expenses paid, I would give my job notice next week.

And Mexico, Americans go there all the time and enjoy the beauty of the country.

Trump doesn’t understand beauty outside of wealth because that is what he knows and chooses to remain ignorant. Many Americans are similar, even when they aren’t wealthy. There is nothing wrong being wealthy or working to build wealth but it is a shame when you cannot see beauty outside of it.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 01-13-2018 at 06:45 AM..

Old 01-13-2018, 06:34 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
I get what you're saying OP. Personally I don't want to vacation in Haiti. In my everyday conversations, I may even use a negative term regarding the condition of countries like Haiti. However, professionally, it's a different story and should be for the president of the United States and all of our political figures that have a job to do on the international stage, so to speak.

My current job is an international job. I deal with countries across the globe. In my professional work, I would never refer to one of our international partners in that derogatory term. Yeah, yeah, I guess you could call it "political correctness" or PC. I don't think so. There was a time in our history that we were not PC, yet world leaders did not use names and insulting terms to describe countries that we have diplomacy with. Being president is about being a leader, being inclusive, and working to constantly improve the balance of relations across the globe. He's not doing that with remarks like that.

In lesser terms, how would you feel if you belonged to a rotating book club. Everyone has to host the book club once and there is a committee to determine the schedule. You live in a cat-infested, dog-hair laden home and there are people in your book club that have allergies. When deciding the schedule, everyone on the committee is aware of your home's issues and some members feel that they can't attend the book club the month that it's at your house. The leader of the book club can address this two ways:

1. We can't schedule the book club at Jane's house because it's an animal infested SxxThole and some people are afraid they'll have an asthma attack, plus you know how those cats climb on counters. I don't want to eat her nasty crab dip.

2. We can't schedule the book club at Jane's house because she has several pets that some of our members are allergic to. It's not an ideal situation for all members.

Now, we all know that between various friends, people are saying #2 all the time; however, in a group setting, the leader should always say Option #2.

Trump says #1 and that's damaging. If you were Jane, you'd probably be mortified when you heard #1 was said about you. Yes, it's the truth, but normal people don't behave so cruelly and insulting to others. It certainly doesn't help ANY situation to speak that way to or about others. The most it does is provide cruel entertainment to those who enjoy that sort of thing.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:47 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muroa345 View Post
My problem with the criticism of Trump is that it's often misplaced. People SHOULD be outraged that he's a narcissist with no qualifications to be president and had no expectation or interest in even winning! He just wanted to be more famous and build his brand without the rigors of the office. Instead, since we live in such an over the top politically correct culture, people go nuts over the things he said instead of the alarming fact that the man who is POTUS in incompetent and unqualified to do the job.
Just a thought. If you really want to start a discussion don't start off with a declarative statement professing liberal opinion as fact. Of course Trump thought he could win, don't be silly, he stated so many times in interviews. And Trump was far more qualified than Obama, and with some perspective probably even GWB. Incompetent and unqualified people don't become billionaires with massive real estate holdings across the world.

Trump often has very specific reasons for saying whatever he says. Democrats can't even take care of the homeless in LA and San Fran and NYC, why do they want more when it's obviously draining the resources of this country and causing so much turmoil? Yes, Haiti is a s-hole country...Trump might have been outrageous, but that's what happens when you push the goalposts of public conversation.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
However, professionally, it's a different story and should be for the president of the United States and all of our political figures that have a job to do on the international stage, so to speak.

I agree with that. However, the point of my post was that more people seem offended by Trump's off color remarks than by his basic fitness for the job.
He tweets policy decisions after watching Fox news.
He is in control of the nuclear codes yet didn't even know what the nuclear triad was during the debates and gets into childish pissing contests with North Korea over who has a bigger button.
Many of his close friends have suggested that he never expected or wanted to even win and he looked shocked when he did.
Many fellow Republicans openly question his fitness for office.

It says something about our priorities as a society when outrage over saying things that are not politically correct registers so much higher than outrage over his being clearly unqualified for the job on nearly every level and that this is likely just a big exercise in narcissism fulfillment for him.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:50 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
If Trump were wrong, then why don't all the Haitian refugees want to return back to their island? It is a sh*thole country where the only "nice" areas are the ones designated for tourism because tourism is such an important part of Haiti's economy... that an all the US dollars that the Haitians in America send back to their families.

And Africa is a sh*thole continent. Otherwise, why are so many Africans trying to escape to Europe? Instead, why don't Africans in crisis try to immigrate to a better African country? Or why doesn't some of the "successful" African countries open their doors to these African refugees?

In Africa, slavery and genocide are still being practiced. That and many parts believe witch doctors instead of real medicine (like in Zimbabwe where they persecute and kill albinos). Also, in Africa, they practice female circumcision, have child brides, and in the slums, women at night get raped in the public toilet buildings.

And Haiti and in African continent, the majority of the human inhabited areas do not have sewage systems, so yes, literally they are sh*tholes.

I would truly love for Haiti and the African continent to NOT be sh*tholes, and for their people to be happy, successful and staying in their own countries.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:58 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:

The comments on Haiti.. was he really wrong? Google pictures of Haiti and you will immediately see slums, the likes of which probably have no equal in the modern world. What is your first reaction when you think of Haiti or Port Au Prince? You might not think "****hole" but I'm sure you won't think of a well developed, modern country either. I'm QUITE sure you won't be planning a trip or a vacation there any time soon, even if it were offered to you all expenses paid!

So they were discussing immigration and Trump asked why they keep taking endless immigrants from the poorest countries with the least to contribute versus other countries. He said it rather inelegantly but he's not really wrong to ask why we keep endlessly taking in the poorest of the poor instead of the best and brightest.

Like it or not, many Americans feel the same way and it's not racism. Trump ran on this issue and it resonated with lots of people and not just Trump supporters or the "deplorables!
The country has limited resources and has the right enforce it's borders as well as choose who comes here and how much they contribute to society. Even Canada has a much stricter immigration system than we do, where it is based on points and merits and what they will contribute versus ours which is based mainly on family sponsorship.

The outrage over this reminds me of his comments about Mexico as well. That they are not sending their best, that many are criminals and rapists. Again.. is this really wrong? He didn't say ALL people from Mexico are rapists and criminals, he's saying a disproportionate amount of the ones who are coming here (many illegally) are. Ask someone who lives in a border town how they feel. Look at the rise of gangs like MS-13.
If you were one of the offended, would you relocate to a town near the Mexico border if you had an opportunity or a compelling reason? Why not? I'll bet you'd be hesitant for reasons of crime, yet you hypocritically condemn Trump for saying this out loud.

This is the problem with our overly politically correct society. It's almost forced group-think. The moment someone goes off script, the group pounces and demands a retraction, an apology or even seeks to destroy the individual who said it. We recently had the Golden Globes and the liberal elite pounced on an actress who simply wore a red dress when the politically correct mandate was to wear black. The irony that they were collectively shaming her for her appearance in an event that was supposed to empower women was apparently lost on them!

I have lots of problems with Trump. I didn't vote for him and never would. He's a narcissist, he's completely unqualified and I believe the stories that say he never even expected to win. That such an unqualified man inhabits the oval office and has such power is far more disturbing to me than anything he says that is off color or not politically correct.
That's the problem with this country and most of the outrage against Trump! More people are offended that he dares to be not politically correct than they are worried that we have a man who is not qualified or capable of executing the duties of the highest office in the land!
Trump's remark was displayed before the world, as surely at this point he knew it would be, and he reportedly repeated it several times. It is the equivalent of seeing your cousin in a wheelchair at a family reunion and asking in a voice everyone can hear "Hey! Why'd you have to bring the helpless crip? He's useless."

This is not Joe at the barber shop - this is supposedly the president of the United States, who obviously has no empathy, humanity, filters, or sense of decorum. Theyre are a lot of ways he could have phrased his words, including simply asking an open question without modifiers. He chose to insult a lot of countries that look exactly like the United States did in it's early days before they were able to develop. It's not political correctness, it is a matter of insulting fellow nations on the globe, and incurring the wrath of anyone who has ever had to struggle to find their way forward in life or try to recover from disasters or setbacks (What is he doing to aid Puerto Rico, for instance, whose citizens are Americans?). His comparison of these countries to Norway was the ****hole icing on the cake, and is patently racist and aimed at people who "chose" to be born not white.

The question is, what are Trump's plans to aid and/or constructive advice for these countries to follow to better themselves? Surely he is aware of the adage "A rising tide floats all boats"? These countries are our neighbors and family, whether he likes it or not. Aiding their development would cement relations with countries that could be viable trading partners in the future.

If there was an actual Jesus, he was a brown-skinned impoverished man from a "****hole country" who likely grew up on the edge of the city dump. Trump's remark begs the question of whether he would want anyone like Jesus to emigrate to America. Yes, he is a bigot, a xenophobe, a racist, and he richly deserves the condemnation and censure of the world. He disgraced himself and America with his words. Not my president, now or ever.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Just a thought. If you really want to start a discussion don't start off with a declarative statement professing liberal opinion as fact. Of course Trump thought he could win, don't be silly, he stated so many times in interviews.
So I'm wrong for stating a liberal opinion as fact (even though I'm not a liberal) and you are going to believe Trump wanted to win because he "said so in interviews"?

This is the same person who declared himself a genius in interviews, despite all evidence to the contrary.
It's the same person who tried to say the Access Hollywood tapes were faked despite him apologizing on tape earlier.
It's the same person who claims conspiracy theories about Ted Cruz's father.

Are we really going to offer Trump's statements as evidence of anything? The man lies every time he opens his mouth. He has but one overriding impulse or principle, his ego! He will lie and contradict something he said 5 minutes ago if it stokes his ego and makes him feel more important or competent.

It takes not 5 minutes to look up old Youtube videos of him in the past speaking to very LIBERAL positions and politics. I'm sorry if you think he is actually fighting for the issues he campaigned on but he's in the for only one reason and one reason only. He's a narcissist who enjoys the attention. Period.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:06 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
I agree with that. However, the point of my post was that more people seem offended by Trump's off color remarks than by his basic fitness for the job.

It says something about our priorities as a society when outrage over saying things that are not politically correct registers so much higher than outrage over his being clearly unqualified for the job on nearly every level and that this is likely just a big exercise in narcissism fulfillment for him.
Well, what else are we to do. I think it's a given that people who are opposed to Trump, at their core, already know he's unfit for the job. It's been said time and again. Nothing happens. I think those who did not vote for Trump felt that way from the start but hoped it was all rhetoric and campaign BS. Hoped that his public "message" and decorum as President would turn on and we'd get behind it or at least forget the campaign drama. That hasn't happened.

So, all anyone has is to be outraged over his continuous examples of and proof of what we've know deep down inside.

As to his fitness as president and putting his daily foot-in-mouth remarks/tweets aside, what would you suggest be done about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies