Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 12:13 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Exactly, which means many Americans will be out of a job no matter what skill level they have. It's not illegal immigrants taking jobs away....it's automation.
It is both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 12:21 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,475,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Trump's remark was displayed before the world, as surely at this point he knew it would be, and he reportedly repeated it several times. It is the equivalent of seeing your cousin in a wheelchair at a family reunion and asking in a voice everyone can hear "Hey! Why'd you have to bring the helpless crip? He's useless."

This is not Joe at the barber shop - this is supposedly the president of the United States, who obviously has no empathy, humanity, filters, or sense of decorum. Theyre are a lot of ways he could have phrased his words, including simply asking an open question without modifiers. He chose to insult a lot of countries that look exactly like the United States did in it's early days before they were able to develop. It's not political correctness, it is a matter of insulting fellow nations on the globe, and incurring the wrath of anyone who has ever had to struggle to find their way forward in life or try to recover from disasters or setbacks (What is he doing to aid Puerto Rico, for instance, whose citizens are Americans?). His comparison of these countries to Norway was the ****hole icing on the cake, and is patently racist and aimed at people who "chose" to be born not white.

The question is, what are Trump's plans to aid and/or constructive advice for these countries to follow to better themselves? Surely he is aware of the adage "A rising tide floats all boats"? These countries are our neighbors and family, whether he likes it or not. Aiding their development would cement relations with countries that could be viable trading partners in the future.

If there was an actual Jesus, he was a brown-skinned impoverished man from a "****hole country" who likely grew up on the edge of the city dump. Trump's remark begs the question of whether he would want anyone like Jesus to emigrate to America. Yes, he is a bigot, a xenophobe, a racist, and he richly deserves the condemnation and censure of the world. He disgraced himself and America with his words. Not my president, now or ever.
I love you.❤️

Old 01-14-2018, 03:52 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,291,201 times
Quote:
Trump's remark was displayed before the world, as surely at this point he knew it would be, and he reportedly repeated it several times. It is the equivalent of seeing your cousin in a wheelchair at a family reunion and asking in a voice everyone can hear "Hey! Why'd you have to bring the helpless crip? He's useless."

This is not Joe at the barber shop - this is supposedly the president of the United States, who obviously has no empathy, humanity, filters, or sense of decorum. Theyre are a lot of ways he could have phrased his words, including simply asking an open question without modifiers. He chose to insult a lot of countries that look exactly like the United States did in it's early days before they were able to develop. It's not political correctness, it is a matter of insulting fellow nations on the globe, and incurring the wrath of anyone who has ever had to struggle to find their way forward in life or try to recover from disasters or setbacks (What is he doing to aid Puerto Rico, for instance, whose citizens are Americans?). His comparison of these countries to Norway was the ****hole icing on the cake, and is patently racist and aimed at people who "chose" to be born not white.

The question is, what are Trump's plans to aid and/or constructive advice for these countries to follow to better themselves? Surely he is aware of the adage "A rising tide floats all boats"? These countries are our neighbors and family, whether he likes it or not. Aiding their development would cement relations with countries that could be viable trading partners in the future.

If there was an actual Jesus, he was a brown-skinned impoverished man from a "****hole country" who likely grew up on the edge of the city dump. Trump's remark begs the question of whether he would want anyone like Jesus to emigrate to America. Yes, he is a bigot, a xenophobe, a racist, and he richly deserves the condemnation and censure of the world. He disgraced himself and America with his words. Not my president, now or ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
I love you.❤️
cuebald, your post is spot-on regarding what is wrong with what Trump said. You captured it perfectly.

I have to say, I love you, too!

Old 01-14-2018, 04:11 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Great. So France should be made to fix the mess they made in Haiti... and leave the US out of it. And send our Haitian refugees over to France. They all speak French, so they should do just fine. Or France should pay America to deal with Haiti.
Well, both Haitian AND French leaders are responsible but the U.S. has meddled an extent as well.

Btw, Haitians speak Kreyol more than French.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
There's a small population in my town of folks from Sierra Leone. Small, but large enough to close a main street downtown during a Saturday morning to have a parade complete with floats.

They aren't refugees or illegals - not the ones who are my clientele, as far as I am aware.

They work hard (mostly adult males) in construction type jobs or anything other job they can find. Many work 7 days a week. They send money back home while living with friends, family members, someone's brother who they knew back in SL, etc.

What they don't send back, they save almost every dime of & with the sole INTENT of going back home to "live like a king". Not my words...

But that's about it. They're here to work, save money & get back to Africa after a few years where a dollar apparently goes a long way. They leave their wives & children because it would be too expensive to bring them along.

Anyway, yesterday one of my favorite clients from SL walked in to the business. Another client, who was leaving (they obviously knew each other) said to him, "Hey, did you know you're from a ****hole county?"

The reply was, "You ever been there?" It IS a ****hole".
True. Plenty people don’t plan to stay in the U.S. forever. My father had no intention of staying but stayed because of my mother. Most of her family came over so she wanted to stay. People are here for years are still go back home later in life. I live in a U.S. territory and that’s as American as I want later in life honestly.

Don’t get me wrong...the U.S. is great but there are other places that are great too. Little by little, Americans with no ties to developing nations are discovering that.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It is both.
Well most African and Caribbean immigrants aren’t illegal.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:25 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Trump is like the drunk uncle who calls your sister a tramp at Thanksgiving.

Blondy, your aunt with the thin, stringy hair and forced smile, shows up with four kids and only a Mrs. Smith's pie. Then calls your mother ugly and you a moocher.

Both insist they are just "telling it like it is."

Old 01-14-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
When you do go to Haiti, how about you go explore the ENTIRE island??? Outside of the tourist areas, most dwellings don't even have bathrooms inside of them. Instead one has to find a public latrine or just squat behind anything that can hide what you want to do. And there is a company that is trying to solve this problem with renting out compostable toilets to Haitians.

https://www.oursoil.org/what-we-do/d...ed-sanitation/
LOLOL...that was amusing.

I certainly will and I’m aware of the above. Done that before. A number of places in the world are that way. I’ve also filled my water from standpipes or gotten water from cisterns and bathed out of buckets.

Whenever I go to ANY island, I explore outside of the resorts, if I stay on a resort in the first place.

I live in the Caribbean anyway.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:42 AM

Quote:

The truth...and so eloquently put.

The situation in Puerto Rico breaks my heart. I live in the neighboring territory (USVI) and the only reason we are better off is because we are small. As soon as I can, I’ll be trying to go on a mission trip there or Dominica.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:48 AM

29,523 posts, read 22,674,035 times
What a sad state of affairs to see people making up any excuse to defend Trump's statements.

I support him but I certainly don't blindly support some of his statements.

What the hell does political correctness have to do with acting like a professional as a leader of one of the most powerful countries in the world?

How about, not saying stupid and reckless statements that could only be construed negatively around the world in the first place? So what if you average Joe's think Haiti and other African countries are shyteholes, there's no excuse for the president of the U.S. to be saying that.

Shame on some of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies