Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 08:04 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,075,411 times

Advertisements

People should be looking at those pictures of Haiti and asking the Clintons and the Red Cross what happened to all that money ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 08:05 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muroa345 View Post
The comments on Haiti.. was he really wrong? I'm QUITE sure you won't be planning a trip or a vacation there any time soon, even if it were offered to you all expenses paid!

This is the problem with our overly politically correct society. It's almost forced group-think. The moment someone goes off script, the group pounces and demands a retraction, an apology or even seeks to destroy the individual who said it.

I have lots of problems with Trump. I didn't vote for him and never would. He's a narcissist, he's completely unqualified and I believe the stories that say he never even expected to win. That such an unqualified man inhabits the oval office and has such power is far more disturbing to me than anything he says that is off color or not politically correct. That's the problem with this country and most of the outrage against Trump! More people are offended that he dares to be not politically correct than they are worried that we have a man who is not qualified or capable of executing the duties of the highest office in the land!
I totally disagree with your premise, so I do not really find the rest of the blog (clipped due to length) particularly insightful. Haiti and other countries, and the people from what was referred to by Trump as s-holes, have long interesting histories, and have, in fact, been tourist destinations prior to political disruptions, as well as having made large contributions to this country--like New Orleans for example. Haitians have fought in US wars and contributed to our culture. And, yes, I would totally go, and have gone many times, on vacation to Mexico. Two million US citizens a year retire or move there.

To reduce these places to s-holes is massively offensive to the countries and people from them. It is amazingly rude for a president to speak so crudely and in such an ignorant manner.

To your other points--I think many more people are worried that there is an unqualified man sitting in the WH than care about political correctness. I'm sure if you go out and pull the data out of polls, you will find the majority are much more concerned that he is not qualified than care about being PC.

Second, I think you are confusing PC with having sense of decency and respect toward other humans and living in civilized society. People hate Trump's tweeting because the tone and comments are on a 5th grade level and this oaf is supposed to be representing the country. The comments are so bizarre that they cause the country and the world to question his mental stability. He acts and speaks without any dignity--that is not about PC.

Forget PC--having Trump around is like having a spoiled disruptive vulgar child in the room. If a 10 year-old was to yell at his classmates, call them nasty names, and accuse them of doing all kinds of things they didn't do, and then when disciplined claim that he was only 'being politically incorrect,' he'd be sent to detention. A CEO would be fired for Trump's words and actions and NOT because of PC.

It is more than embarrassing for the country--it is appalling. Not because it is PC, but because his comments are dumb, immature, irrelevant, nasty and reflect a level of ignorance not seen before in the office of POTUS.

So I pretty much disagree with your treatise other than your comment that Trump is totally unqualified. His inappropriate tweets and behavior stem from the fact that he is, in fact, unqualified and unfit for the office.

Last edited by Enigma777; 01-13-2018 at 08:14 AM..

Old 01-13-2018, 08:10 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,183,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
If Europeans had stayed where they belonged and tried to better themselves and fix their own countries, America would be a far better place today. The white man's arrival brought nothing but disease (smallpox and syphillis), crime (murder and rape of the Native Americans. and eventually piracy), and deforestation and slaughter of the wildlife (for the profit of a few). The native tribes were repaid for their kindness by being decimated and forced off of their land, and some species such as the passenger pigeon were hunted to extinction.

You're right - maybe they should stay home. We don't need any more immigrants like the last bunch.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:50 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,038,008 times
Trump is a bigoted idiot.

Of course people want to leave horrible nations to come here. What type of idiot would think people would leave great nations to come here?! This is common sense 101, and Trump fails it. He also fails US history 101 when he mouths off about how "horrible" it is that people want to leave terrible nations to come to America while forgetting that the US was BUILT on people leaving terrible nations to come here. Contrary to the right-washed version of history, Europe was not always some peaceful haven of wealth; like most of the world through most of history, it often sucked and was full of "sh*thole" nations. So, people left and came here - big shock. And the bigots of their time hated them for that, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_Nothing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Peril

"Oh, no - somebody needs to do something about all those Catholics, Germans, Irish, Italians, and Asian people before they ruin America by coming here!" Give me a break - we've been down this bigoted, idiotic path before.

And THAT is the problem. Trump's ignorant stupidity aside, his comments have strong racist overtones. "More brown people coming here - the horror!" It's idiocy. People are always going to try to leave a lousy situation, and if they come here, integrate into the culture, get a job, and pay their taxes, I'm fine with them.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:51 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Trump is a bigoted idiot.

Of course people want to leave horrible nations to come here. What type of idiot would think people would leave great nations to come here?! This is common sense 101, and Trump fails it. He also fails US history 101 when he mouths off about how "horrible" it is that people want to leave terrible nations to come to America while forgetting that the US was BUILT on people leaving terrible nations to come here. Contrary to the right-washed version of history, Europe was not always some peaceful haven of wealth; like most of the world through most of history, it often sucked and was full of "sh*thole" nations. So, people left and came here - big shock. And the bigots of their time hated them for that, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Know_Nothing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Peril

"Oh, no - somebody needs to do something about all those Catholics, Germans, Irish, Italians, and Asian people before they ruin America by coming here!" Give me a break - we've been down this bigoted, idiotic path before.

And THAT is the problem. Trump's ignorant stupidity aside, his comments have strong racist overtones. "More brown people coming here - the horror!" It's idiocy. People are always going to try to leave a lousy situation, and if they come here, integrate into the culture, get a job, and pay their taxes, I'm fine with them.
So telling the truth makes you a bigot?

How about an impolite buffoon? I would agree with that.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:30 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
If Trump were wrong, then why don't all the Haitian refugees want to return back to their island?
Simple. When you want to promote illegal immigration, you call them ****holes. When Trump says it, you feign outrage. Lindsey Graham is on record repeatedly calling those countries hellholes. That was when he needed to excuse illegals. Same goes for DACA. Their biggest case for keeping them is because where they came from is, you guessed it, ****holes.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:37 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Simple. When you want to promote illegal immigration, you call them ****holes. When Trump says it, you feign outrage. Lindsey Graham is on record repeatedly calling those countries hellholes. That was when he needed to excuse illegals. Same goes for DACA. Their biggest case for keeping them is because where they came from is, you guessed it, ****holes.
Do you have a source for that?

Actually--I did not "guess it."

I think the biggest reasons are because they did not come here of their own volition, often do not speak the language of the country they would be sent to, or have never even been to their country of birth, and because many are living integrated successful, productive lives in the US. They have jobs, they attend universities, they are in the military.

The one reason I have never heard is the one you call 'the biggest.'

Old 01-13-2018, 09:42 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Yes, they are nations with a lot of poverty and corruption. I don't think anyone denies that.

What civilized people are reacting to is that: (1) the President blanket-denigrating immigrants from these countries is unfair, and (2) these kinds of crass insults are inappropriate for the leader of the Free world, show is supposed to be advancing a positive agenda instead of tossing around red meat insults for his rude base. You can make your point in other ways.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:40 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
You made some very valid points muroa, especially about how Trump is inept. I don't view his remarks as anything other then an extension of his lack of comprehension about what a POTUS is. He can not run the country like he did his rental business that was sued for discrimination. Read 'No Vacancies for Blacks. How Donald Trump Got His Start, And Was First Accused of Bias." The New York Times. Presidents are presidents to all people of the United States which include Mexican Americans, African Americans, and yes even Haitian Americans. One who lacks that fundamental concept does not deserve the title POTUS.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:45 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Bottom line - America grows/breeds enough poor and indigent people that we are in no need of importing more, regardless of national origin.

If Haiti wants to send us scientists, engineers, surgeons, etc...great, put them in the green card queue and welcome to America. We actually need more of those kind of people. What we do not need is any more welfare recipients. We are already have way too many of them as it stands.

Let Haiti solve Haiti's problems. They have sovereign borders, are members of the UN, etc. Why is Haiti somehow America's problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies