Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 09:46 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

Thing is, we've been hearing these same promises and stories on and off for decades concerning self driving cars. Technology is getting better and perhaps they are getting closer these days. But they are always "just around the corner" or "will be selling next year". I personally would love it. On a snowy day with miserable roads my normal 1-hour commute can be 2 or more. Would love to kick back and take a nap and let the car deal with the conditions (and idiots on the road that can't drive in snow). Not to mention the fur-bearing terrorists in my area (deer, elk, moose). Get the price down to something affordable, say $25k for a basic model and I'll be right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 09:47 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
The one technology that never really took off that surprised me was robot lawn mowers.

I bought one about 15 years ago and absolutely loved it. I then moved to a house with a yard that wasn’t very friendly for it and had to stop using it. But on my old standard yard, it was fantastic. I thought it would be a regular sight.

I’m pretty optimistic on self driving cars, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:49 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The one technology that never really took off that surprised me was robot lawn mowers.

I bought one about 15 years ago and absolutely loved it. I then moved to a house with a yard that wasn’t very friendly for it and had to stop using it. But on my old standard yard, it was fantastic. I thought it would be a regular sight.

I’m pretty optimistic on self driving cars, but I guess we will have to wait and see.
Maybe because most people actually like mowing the lawn Or they hire someone to do it for them.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:51 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Thing is, we've been hearing these same promises and stories on and off for decades concerning self driving cars. Technology is getting better and perhaps they are getting closer these days. But they are always "just around the corner" or "will be selling next year". I personally would love it. On a snowy day with miserable roads my normal 1-hour commute can be 2 or more. Would love to kick back and take a nap and let the car deal with the conditions (and idiots on the road that can't drive in snow). Not to mention the fur-bearing terrorists in my area (deer, elk, moose). Get the price down to something affordable, say $25k for a basic model and I'll be right there.
I agree, so long as there are backup controls for human drivers to use in emergencies or when desired.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:53 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Cost and convenience are strong motivating factors. Homes would not need garages so they would have more living space. No car insurance or car payments. Having your own autonomous chauffeur who will drop you off at the front door of anywhere you want to go. And pick you up when you are ready to leave. No DUI's or getting hit by a drunk driver. All at a much lower cost than a human taxi could provide.
Again, for the single childless person living in a large city that may work great but it won't be universal by any means.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Since those cars use GPS, those cars must be perfect for surveillance. Adios privacy...

Old 01-15-2018, 10:13 AM

30,179 posts, read 11,815,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think being driven in a self-driving car is rather exhausting because the "driver" likely doesn't trust the car and is thus constantly watching out for possible dangers. Few people will be so confident as to lean back and read a newspaper.

With planes autopilots have been common for decades, yet there still needs to be a full crew.

I wonder how a self-driving car can communicate with drivers of other cars. Here for instance when approaching a zebra crossing, cars usually only stop when the pedestrian steps on the road and keeps a certain pace. There is eye contact and nodding involved, maybe a hand gesture of the driver inviting me to cross.
Actually the 4 way stop has been conquered by self driving cars a year or so ago. They understand hand gestures and facial recognition. One chinese company just went even further. These cars will be mass produced in 2019.

https://www.dezeen.com/2018/01/09/by...rols-ces-2018/

https://www.recode.net/2016/7/5/1210...signals-report

Once all cars are autonomous they can communicate with each other cutting down on potential issues. They are proposing a self driving traffic lane in Wisconsin:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/11/14/...onsin-highway/

Old 01-15-2018, 10:14 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
I thought Uber has already killed off the taxi.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:17 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I'm not seeing it anytime soon. A lot of us will take the light rail to work, but like the control of driving ourselves on the weekend.
I don't think driving for pleasure will ever go anywhere. The horse quit being a practical means of transportation over a century ago yet people still are crazy about the damn things.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:20 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,595,985 times
Every weekend alcoholic should be ecstatic by the prospect of a car that car drive itself home after a little too much fun at the bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies