Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 07:16 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Joe was "terrible optics" for the Democrats and just shows their desperation. First, at a time the party claims to want to "empower women" and a promote underprivileged minorities, they put a white male in front of the public that is the very epitome of so-called white privilege and elitism. That pretty much craps all over the message that Dems have been trying to promote for several years.

Perhaps worse is the family's claim to fame. When most people think of Kennedy, they think "womanizer", "sexual predator", "harasser". They think Chappaquiddick and leaving a female victim to drown, while sobering up to talk to the cops. They remember the "waitress sandwiches" that Teddy was so noted for. The string of bimbos Jack was banging while married to Jackie. And for those that know history, they know that "papa Joe" had is daughter lobotomized and institutionalized. At a time when so many of their party are dressed in black to show some semblance of support for harassment victims and to promote the #metoo movement, the optics of a Kennedy is beyond stupid.

It only shows their desperation that they are trotting out a Kennedy as the face of the party. When you have Screech Sanders, Fauxahontas, Maxine and plastic cowboy hat chick (PCHC) (tm) as the face of the party, you can understand the desperation. But still-couldn't they do any better and find someone that provides better optics? Isn't there anyone in the Dem party that is intelligent, articulate and without the stain of criminal acts or from a family of generational misogynists? Perhaps one that is black and female as well? Granted-I can't think of any offhand.

Perhaps they could also find someone that doesn't look like a high school sophmore and that doesn't drool over himself as well. High bar for the party, I admit.
It really is terrible optics but at this point, I'm not sure that any other choice would have been better. The Dems have spent 10 years telling us that white males are the problem in America. Considering that 70+ percent of America is white, that was bound to come home and slap them in the face eventually. Now, they could have picked someone of a different race/gender, but that would merely exacerbate the issues that a lot of white people have with their message. If they want any hope of actually regaining power in a political environment that is looking pretty good for the Republicans, they need to increase their voter base. Using Joe may have been an attempt at regaining some of the white support and accepting the slight risk of irritating minorities, the majority of whom likely won't be voting Republican anytime soon.

Of course, then Joe opened his mouth and basically told the world that illegal immigrants were more important to the DNC than law-abiding Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 07:17 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

Of course, then Joe opened his mouth and basically told the world that illegal immigrants were more important to the DNC than law-abiding Americans.

Hahahaha.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:23 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
It really is terrible optics but at this point, I'm not sure that any other choice would have been better. The Dems have spent 10 years telling us that white males are the problem in America. Considering that 70+ percent of America is white, that was bound to come home and slap them in the face eventually. Now, they could have picked someone of a different race/gender, but that would merely exacerbate the issues that a lot of white people have with their message. If they want any hope of actually regaining power in a political environment that is looking pretty good for the Republicans, they need to increase their voter base. Using Joe may have been an attempt at regaining some of the white support and accepting the slight risk of irritating minorities, the majority of whom likely won't be voting Republican anytime soon.

Bingo. Double-whammy. Dems committed a colossal strategic error.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:25 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,973 times
who gave him the money shot????

Old 01-31-2018, 07:37 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. It was jaw-dropping self-sabotage. Not one single Dem friend I've talked to understands WHY the Dems chose #PrivilegedWhiteMale Joe Kennedy III to be their official spokesman. Not one. I think they're in utter shock at the sheer senselessness of it...
He's a Kennedy. They can't let them go. Massachusetts certainly cannot let their royalty go.

Fall River is a predominantly white working class former mill town. The low income county went for Clinton so the dems had to try to show off. OUR low income working people are more enlightened than other states white working class Trumpie people. They like to hear a drooling Kennedy speaking Spanish at them.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:44 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
He's a Kennedy. They can't let them go. Massachusetts certainly cannot let their royalty go.

Fall River is a predominantly white working class former mill town. The low income county went for Clinton so the dems had to try to show off. OUR low income working people are more enlightened than other states white working class Trumpie people. They like to hear a drooling Kennedy speaking Spanish at them.
He's not the first (or the last) person to speak Spanish at a State of the Union Rebuttal. Did you forget about your boy, Marco Rubio? Of all the things to criticize that is the most laughable thing you could pick at.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:47 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
He's not the first (or the last) person to speak Spanish at a State of the Union Rebuttal. Did you forget about your boy, Marco Rubio? Of all the things to criticize that is the most laughable thing you could pick at.
At least Marco Rubio is actually Hispanic and has ties to the Cuban population.

No matter how partisan you are, you have to admit that having the living embodiment of Howdy Doody break out in Spanish is at the very least a bit offputting. It smacks of pandering to the base, which is something that the Dems are supposedly against.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:49 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
I find it absolutely laughable that Republicans cry and cry and cry about how Democrats leave the white men out. Now they cry that Democrats didn't have a woman or a black man speak? Give it a rest. The fact is there is absolutely positively no one Republicans wouldn't have trashed giving a response to their deity. No.One.

3,221 posts, read 1,739,081 times
Didn't watch, but apparently his comments were overshadowed by his lips

3,309 posts, read 5,774,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Five pages, fiv$500,000e nearly the same posts. We get it. it's okay for Trump to have benefited from white privilege and inherited wealth and be worshiped under the Republican tent but democrats need to look for someone whose spent their lives in a cardboard box and eating peanut butter sandwiches. Me thinks Joe Kennedy has you a tad nervous.
lol Are we speaking about the same Joe Kennedy who owned at one time almost $500,00 in Gilead Sciences Inc., mfg. of the infamous expensive hep C drug? I believe he purchased his stock in 2012 when hep C cases were skyrocketing in MA and profited nicely later when he sold part of it for a nice capital gain. I have nothing against making money and like to see everyone make money. I just despise hypocrites i.e. 'I'm championing your rights for affordable health care while those nasty reps are taking it away from you. I jumped on this stock in a company selling a $1,000.00 each pill that you need for your disease when I noticed hep C was on a rapid increase here in MA, but aw shucks, I love you guys and you can't fault a guy for trying to make a few bucks, can you? Besides, it's all the rep's fault that we have hep C to begin with. I own 750,000 in Exxon Mobil and I love the money I am making even while lamblasting those horrible reps for allowing it to happen.

Is this the same J.K who spoke last night about a child in the grips of opioid addiction. The same J.K who said we are with you dreamers and he's damn sure not talking about American born dreamers anymore than Cumo who says he is going to give free college to dreamers (these dreamers being illegal immigrants). Why try and control the borders? People are coming in illegally through our borders but it's only people wanting better life for themselves just like our forefathers. The difference between then and now is America is not some chunk of land someone just discovered and to which anyone with the desire to find their way to could carve out a life in the wilderness. It is now a developed country with all the amenities and the laws to go with it and people should understand and respect the fact this did not come without a price and it damn sure shouldn't come as free to those who want to want to slip in and reap the bounties that others sacrificed to get, but Lord, try to explain that to a dem. btw Why would a person who is advocating open borders act so concerned over someone being addicted to illegal drugs? Wonder if they haven't put 2 and 2 together to see where so many illegal drugs are coming into the country from?

Is this the same J.K who said black lives matter (with no mention of white, brown or yellow lives, just black)? The same person who is a champion of the poor people. Hell yeah, the Dems like poor people. All the dems rhetoric and smoke screens on how they are doing everything in their power to uplift the poor just keeps them in their positions and makes the richer. lol They love taking money from hard working Americans to dole out to poor people in the form of welfare becuase their hand is in the till getting the biggest welfare payout of all.

Wow, it must feel so good to be so self righteous.

You seriously think Joe Kennedy III and his ilk are people the reps are fearful of? There's a change happening in America now and the dems simply can't admit it, nor can they try to reform themselves to adapt to it. Nope, they are mired down in the same old belief that no one was going to be able to see through policies that were failing year after year and they actually think that by spreading fear, hatred and division through the country they will be able to regain power and carry on with their destruction of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies