Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 11:29 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
WaldoKitty, I am afraid you do not understand how tariffs work. I'm producing a piece of steel in the US for $10. I pay my employees a good salary, but no one is buying my steel because they can buy it in China for $5.......
I absolutely understand how they work. They level the playing field to unfair trade. Furthermore as for your example,,,,,

Increase production and costs go down. You left that out. You guys can make up hypothetical situations and it's easy enough to counter every single one of them. Most I don't bother with because they always start with some sort of insult. (logic & fact doesn't require it)

Here's the bottom line. Trump ran on imposing tariffs to end unfair trade and he is absolutely keeping that promise. He's the first President to actually deal with it in a long time. And as the OP demonstrates, they are already having a positive effect on the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 11:38 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
How do you know that it will cost us more?
My example, already stated earlier, is that a small steel chassis I purchase from a manufacturing company in Ohio has raised the price of it from $70 to $147. Overnight. This is not a hypothetical situation.

It's called inflation, and it will infiltrate all goods, services, and industries.

Just yesterday I snatched up all of these I could at the old price. Also, an astute chap in Singapore just purchased one of my products, I assume in an attempt to beat the coming trade war. So sure, I can see a brief surge of business nationwide as people snap up the last of the cheap steel. After that, well, let's just say I am very pessimistic.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:38 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,807,524 times
Trump tariff could destroy 45,000 auto jobs: study | TheHill

Hmm..a loss of 45,000 auto jobs vs. a gain of 300 aluminum jobs. Is that what trumpees call winning?

Old 03-08-2018, 11:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Increase production and costs go down. You left that out.
Costs are not prices. You conflate two different words.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:40 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,907,598 times
Quote:
I absolutely understand how they work. They level the playing field to unfair trade. Furthermore as for your example,,,,,

Increase production and costs go down. You left that out. You guys can make up hypothetical situations and it's easy enough to counter every single one of them. Most I don't bother with because they always start with some sort of insult. (logic & fact doesn't require it)

Here's the bottom line. Trump ran on imposing tariffs to end unfair trade and he is absolutely keeping that promise. He's the first President to actually deal with it in a long time. And as the OP demonstrates, they are already having a positive effect on the economy.
The OP is full of nonsense. I see you conveniently have not replied to posts stating the TRUTH: That the company cited by the OP had announced this expansion DURING THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATON.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
My example, already stated earlier, is that a small steel chassis I purchase from a manufacturing company in Ohio has raised the price of it from $70 to $147. Overnight. This is not a hypothetical situation.

It's called inflation, and it will infiltrate all goods, services, and industries.
This is a personal anecdote. It can't be challenged or debated because you provided absolutely no verifiable details. So it's not a rebuttal to what I said.

If you are having business issues, I wish you well.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:44 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
The OP is full of nonsense. I see you conveniently have not replied to posts stating the TRUTH: That the company cited by the OP had announced this expansion DURING THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATON.
Because Trump supporters define "winning" as making a baseless claim of success and sticking by it. You (nor anyone) is going to convince WK or anyone else by applying facts or truth. They are irrelevant in an argument to defend Trump.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:45 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Exactly what I noticed. The OP does not even understand basic economic terminology.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Trump tariff could destroy 45,000 auto jobs: study | TheHill

Hmm..a loss of 45,000 auto jobs vs. a gain of 300 aluminum jobs. Is that what trumpees call winning?
Hahaha.

It's a 1000 jobs announced at US Steel and Century AL.

And your only counter is a "study" put out by a globalist think tank.

What is a "trumpees"?

Old 03-08-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
They are absolutely not the same. Your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies