Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2018, 07:09 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I hope your not, but I don't think we can tell until the presidential election. Polling data gives an idea but it's up and down - I think it just fell below 40%.
It may not matter. I heard a ham radio guy from Texas talking yesterday, during the elections. He said at the voting spots the republicans were coming in and out all day. The democrats, however, were lined up out the door and around the corner all day. That isn't some biased news report from a reporter, that is from a Texas citizen who observed it first hand. I checked, and sure enough the democrat turnout set a record.

I think even if Trump retains his entire base of supporters it won't hold up under the record onslaught of democrat voters that will be turning out for the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 07:52 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Oddly, Mitch McConnell is against the proposed tariffs, since they may end up hurting Kentucky:

Trump's steel and aluminum tariffs to hit home in Kentucky - WDRB 41 Louisville News

So, on the one hand, a mainly idle aluminum plant in Kentucky will add 300 new jobs (very good).

However, the Kentucky bourbon industry has 15,000 to 17,000 employers in the state, with some worried that if the EU imposes a tariff on bourbon, it will hurt that industry:

Kentucky bourbon industry creates $8.5 billion for state economy | Lexington Herald Leader

Would retaliatory bourbon tariffs hurt signature Ky. industry?

What is the old saying? Unable to see the forest due to the trees?

I guess that if Mr. Trump had "Trump Bourbon" he would be more concerned.

Bourbon and motorcycles were targeted because they hurt McConnell (KY) and Ryan (WI).

Note the lack of leftist outrage when foreign nations (EU) attempt to interfere with our political process.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:07 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,622,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Trump is using this to get a better trade deal with mexico and canada. He's 2 steps ahead of the liberal media. They'll never catch up, they aren't smart enough to figure it out.
My God, you nailed it! /thread.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:15 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,195,016 times
Great news!

Old 03-07-2018, 08:18 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Bourbon and motorcycles were targeted because they hurt McConnell (KY) and Ryan (WI).

Note the lack of leftist outrage when foreign nations (EU) attempt to interfere with our political process.
They aren't interfering with the political process.

That is silly spin on your part.

They picked bourbon and motorcycles because they are two uniquely American products produced.

Get over it.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:50 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,211,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Trump is using this to get a better trade deal with mexico and canada. He's 2 steps ahead of the liberal media. They'll never catch up, they aren't smart enough to figure it out.
He seems to be two steps ahead of his own base who will blindly follow him off a cliff.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:11 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
They aren't interfering with the political process.

That is silly spin on your part.

They picked bourbon and motorcycles because they are two uniquely American products produced.

Get over it.

Coincidence that these products are produced in the Speaker's state and the Majority Leader's state?

Old 03-08-2018, 06:25 AM

18,498 posts, read 9,167,872 times
And most of those jobs will probably be high-tech jobs related to the automated production of the aluminum. I doubt that unemployed coal miners will be filling those jobs.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:27 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

I certainly do not discount the real possibility that Bourbon and HD's were chosen for that exact reason. I disagree with the assertion that this is 'interfering' with our political process. It seems a stretch.

While 'bourbon, HD's and Levi jeans' were the headlines, the EU has also been cited as pondering punitive tariffs against imported bed linens, chewing tobacco, cranberries and orange juice:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/07/b...-eu-trade.html

Chewing tobacco? Looking it up on Wikipedia (not a great source), it seems the largest producer of such (U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company) is headquartered in Virginia, with factories in Kentucky (!) Tennessee and Illinois.

Frankly, I doubt that many in Europe indulge in chewing tobacco.

Orange juice I can understand. It appears that only small parts of Europe has orange groves. However, I believe, from my quick reading, that they import most of their oranges from Brazil, which dwarfs even USA production.

It appears that the EU is trying to not escalate any pending tariff war.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:38 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The goal is clamping down on unfair steel trade primarily from China. Hopefully any pain will be short term.
The problem is they should have done a tariff, immediately, back when China started producing and selling their "cheap" steel, not now, when people have been so accustomed to it. It seems a little too late and now a tariff will effect way more jobs negatively in the US then it does positively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies