Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the professor throwing the student out because he disagreed with her?
Yes 4 3.67%
No 105 96.33%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 07:21 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times

Advertisements

Why the hell are they talking about gender identity and pay gaps in a Christianity class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 07:24 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Lighten up, Francis, I was being sarcastic.
The problem is that some on the left have become so extreme that sarcasm and satire about their views is often indistinguishable from the real thing. Someone without the context of your previous posts to go by may understandably interpret your words as being literal and serious. The rest of us know better though.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:25 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
The professor was clearly wrong to throw the student out of class, but would have been perfectly justified in marking the student's answer wrong if given on a test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
and why is that???
The concept of gender does not focus on biological facts, but rather on social constructs and over the past 30 years the social constructs have been changing. You can disagree with the changing views of gender, but facts are facts and the fact is that the social constructs pertaining to gender have changed and are continuing to change. If the student was insisting that, biologically, there are only two genders, then he was simply wrong. He might as well have been insisting that the Earth is flat. He is simply demonstrating that he does not understand the concept of gender.

BTW: Even if we were to limit the discussion to biological facts, we'd still be naïve to insist that there are only two sexes. It is simply not true. There is always a small percentage of the population that does not clearly fit into the categories of male or female.

Last edited by Gaylenwoof; 03-13-2018 at 07:33 AM..

Old 03-13-2018, 07:30 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Christianity class which I should imagine is what we call Christian theology in the UK.

I somehow knew this wasn't going to be a biology professor that kicked him out of class.

It seems Universities and Colleges are full of idiots these days and most sane people just keep away from all this nonsemse and the idiots who now call themselves professors.

The only professors who anyone really respects now are those who are professors of STEM related subjects, the rest increasingly talk nonsense.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:32 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,730,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It appears that there are only two genders. From the dictionary:
  1. either of the two sexes (male and female), especially when considered with reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones. The term is also used more broadly to denote a range of identities that do not correspond to established ideas of male and female.
Perhaps you only read the first sentence of the definition, and not the second sentence? Also notice the reference to "social and cultural differences". Cultures change over time. Gender concepts have changed. That's just a sociological fact of life.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:35 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Foolishness of this sort happens all across the political spectrum.
Of this sort? Recently?

If it does, surely it is a matter of degrees, and one side of the spectrum seems to have taken a real liking to silencing dissent while the other side rarely seeks to quiet the other.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:46 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Unlike most of my fellow posters, I actually read the whole letter. It seems that the student in question was ejected not because he disagreed with the pastor featured on the TED talk, but because he was an a-hole when he expressed his opinion. He was loud, obnoxious, interrupted other students and the professor, and got progressively angrier and more disrespectful toward the professor and other students. But of course FOX News makes him sounds like a helpless victim. The professor offered him a simple solution to accept him back into the class, asking him to apologize for acting like a jerk, he refused, so she kicked him out permanently.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:50 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,469 times
I voted no. Especially if he was respectful in his disagreement.

Back in 1990 when my D was born the other pregnant women that shared a room with my wife had a baby boy.

When I got back to the hospital the next day she had been moved out of the room. My wife told me it was an emotional scene with her husband yelling "what am I going to say" I told everyone we had a boy" and the wife in tears.

Apparently the child was born with both male and female organs.

Ever since that day I have an entirely different outlook on the only 2 gender claim. I read some articles and it seems past practice was often for a selection of the sex to be made very early prior to the child really able to be truly identified as either.

IMHO people do not make decisions to make their life more difficult unless there is an overwhelming need. So I am totally accepting of all people LGBT and Q. I wish them nothing but the best and they have my full support.

I realized that day if that was happening to my D there was nothing that would diminish my love for her and she would never have one minutes doubt about that.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:56 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
The problem is that some on the left have become so extreme that sarcasm and satire about their views is often indistinguishable from the real thing. Someone without the context of your previous posts to go by may understandably interpret your words as being literal and serious. The rest of us know better though.
The problem is that some on the right promote exclusion rather than inclusion.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:01 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Unlike most of my fellow posters, I actually read the whole letter. It seems that the student in question was ejected not because he disagreed with the pastor featured on the TED talk, but because he was an a-hole when he expressed his opinion. He was loud, obnoxious, interrupted other students and the professor, and got progressively angrier and more disrespectful toward the professor and other students. But of course FOX News makes him sounds like a helpless victim. The professor offered him a simple solution to accept him back into the class, asking him to apologize for acting like a jerk, he refused, so she kicked him out permanently.
I'm doubting the professor was vey respectful of the student's position on those issues. The very fact that she would use a Christianity class as a vessel for promoting these issues in the first place makes me question her interpretation of events. Considering how leftist extremists define words like hate and racism, I have no doubt her definition of disruptive and whatever else she accused him of is highly subjective as well. I've seen plenty of examples of leftists who consider any voicing of an opposing viewpoint to be an expression of hatred and oppression.

And I brought up her "simple solution" in a previous post in this thread, which I will not rewrite word for word here. In short, she demanded a groveling and a point by point acquiescence to her views and gave no assurances of "forgiveness" in exchange for the groveling.

He learned a lesson that he needed to learn about dealing with leftists in authority, and part of that lesson is to never trust their twisted interpretation of events, especially when it involves their ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies