Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the professor throwing the student out because he disagreed with her?
Yes 4 3.67%
No 105 96.33%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 11:05 AM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times

Advertisements

I'm confused as to why she is basically holding a womens rights and pro-trans lecture in a course with that thread title?

Perhaps it was part of a greater overall point but it seems odd.

As for the guy, according to the incident complaint he was overly disruptive but then again, that was written by the professor and from what I can read uses a lot of key words.

Without being there or having a video to watch of the incident I'm left wondering where the truth lies.

I'm left not holding a strong opinion either way on the topic as there is allowable objection but certainly at some point that would cross a line. But we don't know and I certainly don't trust either to be impartially honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 11:08 AM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Why bother, colleges and most other schooling are ruled, for the most part, by people who do not want their deeply-held ideology challenged.

It's like living on the west-coast and trying to change the political-climate, a worthless endeavor.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:13 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
And so common sense dies.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:24 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,225,826 times
1. The professor has the right and an obligation to the students in a learning environment to keep order.
2. There is a time and place for objection. Evangelical Christians don't have the right to harangue speakers no matter how objectionable the content.
3. The question:
Do you agree with the professor throwing the student out because he disagreed with her?
is biased. See statement 1.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,748,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
As for the guy, according to the incident complaint he was overly disruptive but then again, that was written by the professor and from what I can read uses a lot of key words.

Without being there or having a video to watch of the incident I'm left wondering where the truth lies.

I'm left not holding a strong opinion either way on the topic as there is allowable objection but certainly at some point that would cross a line. But we don't know and I certainly don't trust either to be impartially honest.
yeah, same. It's possible that he was being really disruptive, and she's in the right.

but my gut feeling (based partly on the language she used in her write-up) is that she's probably neck-deep in her own BS, and gets unreasonably angry when anyone disagrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
And so common sense dies.
common sense is to keep your mouth shut when the nutjob professor says something you disagree with.

best-case scenario -- you win the argument?

worst-case scenario -- you just got kicked out of class for the semester

Old 03-13-2018, 11:28 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
The problem is that some on the left have become so extreme that sarcasm and satire about their views is often indistinguishable from the real thing. Someone without the context of your previous posts to go by may understandably interpret your words as being literal and serious. The rest of us know better though.

I thought for sure the "Words hurt, people" was a dead giveaway, but I hear what you're saying, Uncle Bully. It all sounds so insanely ridiculous that it should be some SNL skit rather than reality. Glad some of you took my post for what it was though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't believe MPowering1 was serious, but was instead being sarcastic.
You are correct, RMESMH. Thanks for the assist!

Old 03-13-2018, 11:33 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram;51294156[B
]But "go with the flow" and just remain silent is the type of passiveness that emboldens the SJW crowd and lib tardz into believing they are always in the right and that no one disagrees with their BS, thereby leading to ever expanding "snowflake-ism" without challenge.
[/b]
As a middle aged adult I wish I had the time to just pay to attend one of these classes without any care of passing the course and challenge these idiots or be a contrary voice for those like your son who fear speaking out and risking some consequence. It really is a shame...these "higher learning" (ha!) institutions are supposed to create and support free thought and discussion but now the overall majority of them are staffed & controlled by the PC/SJW lib crowd.

He's not there to argue with ideologues. They have all the power. No shortage of students with unpleasant experiences with teachers who don't entertain diverse thinking on social and political issues.

He's there to get an education in his major but the system requires a number of elective courses that to some degree are bullsh*t courses but many are an easy enough A which means playing ball in a temporary life-game and then moving on out into the real world.

Now, if that student was in fact being disruptive he should have been thrown out.

Way too many cases of students disrupting classes, presentations, conferences hosted by people that they disagree with. They need to be dealt with harshly. All of them.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:35 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,795,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
1. The professor has the right and an obligation to the students in a learning environment to keep order.
2. There is a time and place for objection. Evangelical Christians don't have the right to harangue speakers no matter how objectionable the content.
3. The question:
Do you agree with the professor throwing the student out because he disagreed with her?
is biased. See statement 1.
Fortunately only 6% of the people in here side with the professor.

If a professor is selling BS (these kids pay a lot of money for these classes) then by all means they should be called out on it. There has been zero accountability for wackamoles pretending to be teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
He's not there to argue with ideologues. They have all the power.

He's there to get an education in his major but the system requires a number of elective courses that to some degree are bullsh*t courses but many are an easy enough A which means playing the game and moving out into the real world.
There should be nothing acceptable about BS courses.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:38 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
He didn't get kicked out for his opinion.

Did you read the report behind the picture? Refusal to stop talking out of turn? Angry outbursts? Accusing the professor of grading him low in the future bc they disagreed on this idea?
Apparently he is also a snowflake. There is no 1st amendment rights in a classroom. say your peace then sit down and shut up.

Quote:
“My professor is violating my First Amendment rights because of the fact that my views and ideology is different from hers,” Ingle told Fox News. “So she took it on herself to silence and embarrass me – bully me – for speaking up in class.”

Old 03-13-2018, 11:54 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,958 times
I once got kicked out of a college class for talking to my neighbor. Except I wasn't. The prof then tried to fail a project of mine--except he thought I was someone else, and I got an A. My point is, lots of students get kicked out of classes and worse, and it isn't always their fault. It may be. It may be a bad mix of student & prof. It may be any one of a thousand scenarios. But it's really not a big deal, and it will not ruin any student's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies