Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the professor throwing the student out because he disagreed with her?
Yes 4 3.67%
No 105 96.33%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 09:44 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,063,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I suggested to my son that when he's taking the easy A, elective type courses to just go with the flow no matter how nutty or unhinged the professor appears and to focus on the important courses, e.g. math, science, business, etc.

He's told us a few entertaining SJW stories.
But "go with the flow" and just remain silent is the type of passiveness that emboldens the SJW crowd and lib tardz into believing they are always in the right and that no one disagrees with their BS, thereby leading to ever expanding "snowflake-ism" without challenge.

As a middle aged adult I wish I had the time to just pay to attend one of these classes without any care of passing the course and challenge these idiots or be a contrary voice for those like your son who fear speaking out and risking some consequence. It really is a shame...these "higher learning" (ha!) institutions are supposed to create and support free thought and discussion but now the overall majority of them are staffed & controlled by the PC/SJW lib crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 09:46 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
I think the liberal professor type is the most annoying kind of people.

This said, college students can be equally annoying.

I wasn't there, so I don't know the real reasons why he got kicked out.

Not sure why this is even news.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:46 AM

19,817 posts, read 9,381,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
None of us were there.

Professor claims the student :

Disrespectful in his objection, and Refused to stop talking out of turn, and Angry outbursts

Sounds like it may be more about the how than the what. In contrast, the student is off on a free speech kick.

The Admin will sort it out.

None of us were there.
You're right -- none of us were there, so all we have to go on is what we read and hear from others, but you can say the same about any controversial story, I think -- unless, in fact, we were there.

However, I do sincerely doubt that the university administration will do anything but what they have already done, and that is to attempt to make the student "grovel" (to use the word of another poster.)

And what is wrong with free speech -- unless, as I said before, it is hate speech or speech to incite violence?

Old 03-13-2018, 09:50 AM

19,817 posts, read 9,381,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwdavid View Post
[LEFT]https://archive.fo/RaWLB
Sunday Shaming by Alison Downie

excerpt

On this particular Sunday, I happened to drive past a non-denominational church in the small college town where I live. It rents space on the main street, in an old movie theater. On this day, a group of enthusiastic church goers gathered on the sidewalk, advertising the service about to begin with handmade posters. They appeared to be mostly young, and I imagined they were probably students at the university where I teach. I glanced their way, wondering if I would recognize a student from one of my classes.
]A young man I did not recognize leaned toward the curb as I passed, aiming his poster at me. It read, “SMILE! It’s Sunday!”
I felt slapped in the face, stunned, and then . . . enraged.
Though I drove on in steely silence, I wanted to slam on the brakes, storm into that cluster of shiny happy young people and throw down a Molotov cocktail of sudden death, mental illness, tragedy, and suffering of all kinds into their church street party: “NO! I will NOT smile because it’s Sunday. And who are you to tell me I should? Who are you to imply that if I do not smile, I somehow don’t measure up to your understanding of what faith or salvation is?”
]Rage boiled within me for miles and miles, churning over the shame these young people tossed around in an insular, and therefore, arrogant obliviousness.
I just can't imagine having rage to the point of "boiling" over something like that (and for miles and miles, no less!) -- and I am an agnostic! And then to say that she wished "a Molotov cocktail of sudden death, mental illness, tragedy, and suffering of all kinds into their church street party". WOW! And this is the kind of person the university keeps on to teach (mostly) young people?

Yes, Downie certainly seems very egocentric to me, to the point that she simply cannot tolerate being confronted with anything she doesn't agree with.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:37 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Unlike most of my fellow posters, I actually read the whole letter. It seems that the student in question was ejected not because he disagreed with the pastor featured on the TED talk, but because he was an a-hole when he expressed his opinion. He was loud, obnoxious, interrupted other students and the professor, and got progressively angrier and more disrespectful toward the professor and other students. But of course FOX News makes him sounds like a helpless victim. The professor offered him a simple solution to accept him back into the class, asking him to apologize for acting like a jerk, he refused, so she kicked him out permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I'm doubting the professor was vey respectful of the student's position on those issues. The very fact that she would use a Christianity class as a vessel for promoting these issues in the first place makes me question her interpretation of events. Considering how leftist extremists define words like hate and racism, I have no doubt her definition of disruptive and whatever else she accused him of is highly subjective as well. I've seen plenty of examples of leftists who consider any voicing of an opposing viewpoint to be an expression of hatred and oppression.

And I brought up her "simple solution" in a previous post in this thread, which I will not rewrite word for word here. In short, she demanded a groveling and a point by point acquiescence to her views and gave no assurances of "forgiveness" in exchange for the groveling.

He learned a lesson that he needed to learn about dealing with leftists in authority, and part of that lesson is to never trust their twisted interpretation of events, especially when it involves their ideology.
That's not what the professor demanded at all. If you read her request word for word, she insisted the student apologize for acting like a spoiled brat and listen quietly to the professor and fellow students as they responded to his apology. That's it. She did not demand he agree with her opinions at all. The letter says, "He [the wayward student] will explain the importance of an atmosphere of safety for an educational environment, acknowledge how his class behavior has significantly damaged the classroom atmosphere, and explain how he will demonstrate respect for the professor, the course material, and the fellow students at each remaining class session. On 3/8, Lake will begin class with an apology to the class for his behavior and then listen in silence as the professor and/or any student who wishes to speak shares how he/she felt during Lake's disrespectful and disruptive outbursts on 2/28." But Fox has to feel offended that the teacher shut the student down, so they spin the story to make it sound like she was the one in the wrong. No matter how the student feels about anything the teacher is saying, he needs to behave like an adult, not a 4 year old.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:42 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,256,509 times
and how are social constructs more correct than biological constructs?
Last time I checked there are two sexes and genders. Ill stick with science over social constructs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
The concept of gender does not focus on biological facts, but rather on social constructs and over the past 30 years the social constructs have been changing. You can disagree with the changing views of gender, but facts are facts and the fact is that the social constructs pertaining to gender have changed and are continuing to change. If the student was insisting that, biologically, there are only two genders, then he was simply wrong. He might as well have been insisting that the Earth is flat. He is simply demonstrating that he does not understand the concept of gender.

BTW: Even if we were to limit the discussion to biological facts, we'd still be naïve to insist that there are only two sexes. It is simply not true. There is always a small percentage of the population that does not clearly fit into the categories of male or female.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:45 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,256,509 times
the left only promotes inclusion if the argument supports their narrative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
The problem is that some on the right promote exclusion rather than inclusion.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:48 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
None of us were there.

Professor claims the student :

Disrespectful in his objection, and

Refused to stop talking out of turn, and

Angry outbursts

Sounds like it may be more about the how than the what.

In contrast, the student is off on a free speech kick.

The Admin will sort it out.

None of us were there.
I kind of agree with this.

I think this is just another "news" to divide us. Liberal vs conservatives

I doubt he was kicked out because he said, "There are only two genders."

so meh

I remember I got kicked out of the classroom once, because I was ALWAYS late. The professor was a cool guy, but he hated when people leaving in the middle of the class. He also hated when people were always late. He said, "Lily, get out. You are late again." LOL I got out and learned my lesson.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:49 AM

736 posts, read 353,959 times
Technically, there are three genders: female, male, and intersex.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:52 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,757,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That's not what the professor demanded at all. If you read her request word for word, she insisted the student apologize for acting like a spoiled brat and listen quietly to the professor and fellow students as they responded to his apology. That's it. She did not demand he agree with her opinions at all. The letter says, "He [the wayward student] will explain the importance of an atmosphere of safety for an educational environment, acknowledge how his class behavior has significantly damaged the classroom atmosphere, and explain how he will demonstrate respect for the professor, the course material, and the fellow students at each remaining class session. On 3/8, Lake will begin class with an apology to the class for his behavior and then listen in silence as the professor and/or any student who wishes to speak shares how he/she felt during Lake's disrespectful and disruptive outbursts on 2/28." But Fox has to feel offended that the teacher shut the student down, so they spin the story to make it sound like she was the one in the wrong. No matter how the student feels about anything the teacher is saying, he needs to behave like an adult, not a 4 year old.

She said spoiled brat? What she said was actually worse than my description because it also requires him to sit in silence and shame as the entire class berates him for daring to disagree with the progressive dogma.

I don't trust a word this professor says especially after seeing her rant about the Christian who told her to be happy because it was Sunday. This woman shouldn't be teaching a class on Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies