Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 11:33 AM

581 posts, read 455,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

All of your poor shaming / poor blaming is just nonsense. Very few people have 6 kids. The average family size of a person on welfare is the same as those who do not receive benefits.

[/url]
Lol, they don't? Come to a Walmart here in Vegas on the first of the month. Women dragging hordes of kids around is the norm. I don't care what the statistics say.

As far as people out of work, I have no issue with them receiving temporary assistance. My comment was directed at those who continually shoot themselves in the foot and keep themselves in poverty by making bad choices while expecting everyone else to pay for it. If that's poor shaming, then oh well, I don't care.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:42 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Lol, they don't? Come to a Walmart here in Vegas on the first of the month. Women dragging hordes of kids around is the norm. I don't care what the statistics say.

As far as people out of work, I have no issue with them receiving temporary assistance. My comment was directed at those who continually shoot themselves in the foot and keep themselves in poverty by making bad choices while expecting everyone else to pay for it. If that's poor shaming, then oh well, I don't care.
Gee, there are Walmarts here too and lots of parents with large families but I've never been able to tell which are on welfare, do you have some special talent for sniffing them out, or do they make them wear special armbands in LV?

Old 04-12-2018, 12:24 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why do you care what items they purchase. Food stamps are to supplement food purchases freeing up money to be used for say items not covered under food stamps.
WIC, OTOH, is specifically for nutritional food designed for healthy pregnancies and babies.
Food Stamps enable extraordinarily high rates of obesity among Food Stamp recipients. I already posted the USDA's statistics on that. Oh, and for an added bonus, we get to pay to treat Food Stamp recipients' obesity-related illnesses, as well.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:34 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Food Stamps enable extraordinarily high rates of obesity among Food Stamp recipients. I already posted the USDA's statistics on that. Oh, and for an added bonus, we get to pay to treat Food Stamp recipients' obesity-related illnesses, as well.
Educate more on health. Make obesity a form of child abuse just like starvation.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
There are no studies that claim that food stamps ENABLE obesity, only that there is a relationship. It's far more complex than you are trying to make it out to be:

Quote:
To name just one researcher who has uncovered this trend, Cindy Leung, a nutrition researcher at the University of California, San Francisco, found teen and adult food-stamp recipients had larger waists and higher levels of obesity than people who aren’t in the program...For one thing, her studies and others can’t quite determine whether the elevated odds of obesity are because of the SNAP program itself or because the people who enroll in SNAP are the kinds of people—stressed-out, poor, less educated—who are more likely to be obese for unrelated reasons. There aren’t many differences between the food purchases of SNAP households and non-SNAP households. Food-stamp recipients might be buying soda, in other words, because Americans like to buy soda.

Furthermore, Leung has found that people who apply for SNAP tend to be at the ends of their ropes. Usually, they’ve exhausted help from their families or churches. Many families in the program run out of food before the end of the month. That means SNAP recipients might be stocking up when they have funds and stretching the rest of their SNAP budgets. As other studies have found, unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy produce. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...health/527820/

Old 04-12-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Educate more on health. Make obesity a form of child abuse just like starvation.
If only we could...

Old 04-12-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There are no studies that claim that food stamps ENABLE obesity, only that there is a relationship. It's far more complex than you are trying to make it out to be:
No it isn't. Get freebie handout benefits from multiple welfare programs for the exact same meals (per the USDA OIG) --> eat too much --> become obese.

Where is your understanding lacking?

Old 04-12-2018, 01:29 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,292,908 times
Quote:
Right. The issue is the food stamps.

Not psychology, not lifestyle choices, not lack of motivation. But food stamps?

Sure.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
No it isn't. Get freebie handout benefits from multiple welfare programs for the exact same meals (per the USDA OIG) --> eat too much --> become obese.

lol, you would do well to stick to facts. Once again, no researcher ever said that food stamps enable obesity.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:32 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Quote:

They’re eating too many calories. It’s not because they’re getting too much food... it’s because they’re not getting the right type of food. If food stamp recipients could afford to buy fresh produce to have with every meal and they had the cooking facilities available to cook real food, they wouldn’t be any more obese than the average. (Do keep in mind that something like 2/5 of all Americans are obese and 2/3 are overweight.)

School lunches are filled with fat and refined carbs. Pizza, hot dogs, burgers, sloppy joe. Many people don’t live near a grocery store, so they’re buying what they can get from a convenience store or gas station. Some don’t have working stoves so they’re limited to what they can microwave. Even if someone does have transportation to a grocery store and a full kitchen, things like rice, beans, pasta, cheese, and hot dogs are what will feed hungry mouths cheaply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies