Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2018, 10:05 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Most jobs offer that your still taking a risk and personally I would rather work less hours and make less compared to a tradesmen and not risk being disabled if I injure myself.
so what if you spill your starbucks onto your laptop while its plugged into the charger and you get electrocuted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I think it is true that the trades and working with one's hands are every bit as valuable and worthy of respect as those who have college degrees and work behind a desk, in a hospital, school, etc. One of the problems I see is that people who work hard physically every day "wear out" at some point. Overuse of the knees, hips, etc., heavy lifting, and the hazards of those jobs can take their toll. But somehow, we think we should keep making the age for social security older and older. How are they going to make it? My brother in law is a finish carpenter, and has worked every day all his life. He is concerned that his body will give out long before his need for a salary does. And some times, people in the trades work for themselves. They don't work for big companies and don't have the benefits we might otherwise expect. So the people who rely most on their physical fitness to carry them through are sometimes in a bad place as far as medical care, disability insurance, and retirement. I'm not sure what to do about this, but I know we shouldn't be cutting Social Security and Medicare.
Not to burst your bubble.. but the majority of people who do physical work do not wind up crippled or dead from working. My Grand father retired from farming at the age of 76. when he died at 87 he was active until a year before he passed...........

Old 04-21-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Feast or famine can happen to you in white collar jobs. It can happen in the trades AND the white collar jobs. Nowadays there is no guarantee of staying with the same company until you retire. Job security is rarely a guarantee unless you are a doctor or lawyer.
CPA used to be the dream job...... now not so much.........

Old 04-21-2018, 11:19 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post
Fresh college grads are not the same as MBA's. Is that not common knowledge around here?
Depends. If you are talking about someone that has an engineering degree or has been a business professional for some time, then went back to school and got the MBA, yes, it means something and is a path to advancement. If it was some kid that got a liberal arts degree, couldn't find a job anywhere but Starbucks and then went for an MBA, not so much. An MBA is not a promise of success, and having worked with some MBAs it sure as heck isn't proof of their ability.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:31 PM

426 posts, read 353,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Depends. If you are talking about someone that has an engineering degree or has been a business professional for some time, then went back to school and got the MBA, yes, it means something and is a path to advancement. If it was some kid that got a liberal arts degree, couldn't find a job anywhere but Starbucks and then went for an MBA, not so much. An MBA is not a promise of success, and having worked with some MBAs it sure as heck isn't proof of their ability.
You do know that having corporate work experience is required for acceptance to any semi-reputable MBA program, right? Once again, thought this type of thing was common knowledge. Guess not.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
LOL. So many people with worthless arts degrees. It's actually pretty funny.
No such thing as s worthless degree.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:56 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,106,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
but....... you'll go to the gym and "work out"?
I have read studies about people doing physical labor being unable to make it to retirement due to repetitive stress, injuries, just the wear and tear of doing that kind of job - much more so than people who have desk jobs (they have other risks.)

Going to the gym also inflicts wear and tear. I've recently been seeing statistics about people in their 40s having hip and knee replacements because they have just worked their joints to death at the gym. Still, that is not something you have to do for a living. It is your option to work out, and you pick the activities and intensity. Even though people are often misinformed about the pros and cons of exercise, if you wear out your body, that has been your choice. Those kinds of choices are not so easy to find when you are working for a living.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:59 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,106,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Not to burst your bubble.. but the majority of people who do physical work do not wind up crippled or dead from working. My Grand father retired from farming at the age of 76. when he died at 87 he was active until a year before he passed...........
No, I never said it was everyone. People have different tolerances, different genetic weaknesses, different jobs. Lots of variables. And I don't really know about farming. I know that the building trades are very rough on the body.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:11 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No such thing as s worthless degree.
Actually, most degrees are worthless.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:12 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,600,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Unions teach trades such as carpenters, plumbers, electricians. They pay you and give you benefits as an apprentice while you learn. But many don't care because they hate unions.
agreed, I have a dislike for unions. Unions need to go away, they are not needed in this day and age with with easy mass communication we have now as they are a major factor in higher costs for common things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies