Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 05:41 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Then make birth control free and available to all.
It IS free for any who cannot pay. There are over 14,000 Public Health Department Family Planning Clinics and 650 Planned Parenthood Clinics located throughout the U.S.

I have NO idea why so many idiots assume Planned parenthood is the only source that provides free birth control, unless a LOT of people really are that ignorant. /SMH

Old 05-07-2018, 05:42 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So God will richly bless men who drive pregnant women to seek self induced abortions or unlicensed people who claim they know how to give abortions? If so, God, no doubt, has the kind of sick and disgusting morals that make my stomach turn.
Because women are too dumb to control their own sexual behavior right. Gotta treat them like children, the liberal way!

Old 05-07-2018, 07:37 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
If Republicans want to abolish abortion, they need to approve welfare for all women who can't afford to raise these unwanted children. What's their magic solution? They can't ban abortions, restrict welfare, defund Planned Parenthood, and keep minimum wage so low no human being can live off it.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:41 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,558,569 times
What ever happened to Iowa? It used to seem like a normal sane state. It however appears to have jumped the shark several years ago.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:57 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Another reason why fetal homicide laws should be abolished.
We got your opinion about fetal homicide laws about 10 posts ago of your's. Maybe you should start a thread about it.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Because women are too dumb to control their own sexual behavior right. Gotta treat them like children, the liberal way!
Excuse me! What impregnates a woman? Perhaps men should be more responsible with their alley cat ways.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:07 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
https://www.dailywire.com/news/30301...mpaign=dwbrand

"On Wednesday, Iowa legislators passed the "Heartbeat" bill, which would ban abortions after a fetal heartbeat is detectable. On Friday, Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds (R) signed the bill into law."

“We’re not hiding that at all. A lot has changed since 1973, including Justices, and frankly, the Court got it wrong...”

Don't think it will be long now before Roe v. Wade will be overturned. A day to celebrate.
Because forced birth worked out so well prior to Roe v Wade.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:13 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
It's bizarre to me that people actually think this law will prevent abortions.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
It's bizarre to me that people actually think this law will prevent abortions.
Watch for plan B sales to go up. The majority of pregnancies that this bill will affect will be those with severe fetal disabilities which typically are not recognized until the 16th to 20th week.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:27 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Again, Roe v. Wade involved the 'right to privacy'. As the following opinion article points out, many groups, from conservative to liberal, have cited Roe in various lawsuits involving the right to privacy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/21/o...-abortion.html

From the link:

"Conservatives as well as liberals invoked this newly articulated right to privacy. With the spread of computers, politicians like Barry Goldwater and his son, the former Republican representative Barry Goldwater Jr., pointed to Roe in demanding privacy protections for personal information."

So, if Roe is re-visited, in order to overturn Roe, the Court will have to overturn the basis for the decision: the right to privacy, which it found included a woman's right to choose whether or not to abort.

The Court did find that the State's Interest rose with each trimester: no interest in the first, some interest during the second, and a substantial interest in the third trimester.

Now, perhaps the Court can thread the needle: proclaim, on the one hand, that the right to privacy, including making health decisions (such as abortion) does not extend to women in the first trimester, while also saying, on the other hand (as it would be implied), that men enjoy full rights to privacy. I doubt they would rule such, due to obvious Equal Protection problems.

I doubt that the Court will go where some desire: proclaiming that 'life begins at conception' and so the unborn has full Constitutional rights within a hour of being conceived. If one does just a little thinking about the implications, one would start to see the problem with such a finding of law.

It is a slippery slope: if the US Supreme Court rules that one gender does not have full privacy rights, then what where does it stop?

I am normally not a 'slippery slope' advocate. However, when it comes restricting privacy in this one instance I can, at the least, foresee some 'unintended consequences'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.