Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 09:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Even the original woman has said she made a BIG mistake in getting an abortion and having the chance again would NOT do it.
And...that would be HER choice.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:19 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Even the original woman has said she made a BIG mistake in getting an abortion and having the chance again would NOT do it.
And I do not regret my abortion and instead, am grateful it was a safe medical procedure. If I were to become accidentally pregnant again I would choose to terminate again.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:24 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
So for the fans of this bill, how does it work when a woman seeks--and is provided with--an abortion after 6 weeks? Is Iowa going to have to suddenly start building maternity wards in their prisons?

Old 05-07-2018, 10:29 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
I'm sure this bill will work exactly as intended which is to extract campaign contributions before getting crushed as unconstitutional.

SEND MONEY NOW!!!

Saw this happen during the Roberts confirmation, left saying send money or he'll ban abortion...right saying same thing....he got confirmed and nothing changed. Suckers. lol.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:29 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Posts like this really show what the true motive is behind the pro-life movement. It isn't about the baby. It's about imposing fundamentalist Christian sexual ethics on women. That's all it's about. That's why most pro-life people are also against birth control and for abstinence-only sex education. If it was really about the babies, conservatives would be pushing for policies that reduce abortions and also wouldn't seemingly stop caring once the baby is born. It's not about that though. It's about controlling people's sex lives. If they can control a person's sex life, they can control them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm Pro-life and this is a mistake for many reasons. Sorry, I might get long.

First, this is done to further ones politics for the most part. There are many, many, many things one can do right now to lessen the number of abortions. Promote Universal Health Care. Back a higher minimum wage. Support easier access to higher education. Support better child care access. Encourage as opposed to fight against the rights of gay couples to adopt.

Most of these things are the exact opposite positions of those who would pass laws like this.

Next, it's still very unlikely to be upheld by the courts and even if it was, it DOES NOT make abortions illegal. It only throws it back to the states. OK....so one state makes it illegal and the next once again allows late term abortions. What exactly did you win? RvW is what allowed the late term abortions law stand across the country. Without it, they are gone also.

What do you win here? Even if illegal they will not stop and as much as one might think we will, we will not punish women that get them. It's not going to happen.
Most pro-life people are not against birth control. Are too many against things that would reduce abortions? Sadly, yes but not all.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:30 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,819,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Religion is, and always has been, a form of social and behavioral control.

And now, just attempting to control members of their own religion is not enough. They want to control everyone and make them conform to their own religious beliefs.
Evangelicals are distinct in that they are the sole "minority" and yes, that's what they are, that believe anything short of complete rule over every aspect of society is persecution. People don't realize how close we are to losing separation of church and state in this country.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:34 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Pro-life really should be Pro-birth.

If pro-lifers cared about these babies they wouldn't be so hell bent on reducing or entirely removing the social safety nets that some of the parents and these babies will need.

As soon as that baby is outta of the womb is bootstrap time.

PS Its also a way to punish unmarried sexually active women.
I prefer to label them anti-choice and anti-freedom. Realistically that is what they are doing, not allowing a woman to choose what to do with her body and taking away her freedom to decide what is best for her.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:40 AM

923 posts, read 495,528 times
Way to Go Iowa, hopefully more states follow!

Old 05-07-2018, 10:46 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You presume all abortions are performed due to severely health-compromised fetuses. What's the actual percentage of severely ill fetuses out of all abortions performed? What percentage of abortions are merely just for the sake of the woman's convenience compared to the abortion of severely ill fetuses?
How often is someone charged and sentenced for fetal homicide?

Old 05-07-2018, 10:49 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
Way to Go Iowa, hopefully more states follow!
Way to not go. This religious dogma shouldn't be allowed to stand, and I'm sure the Supreme Court will rule against it rather than upholding it and ruling against Roe v Wade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies