Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White privilege, based on the quote in the OP:
I think it exists. 64 30.05%
Maybe it does exist, but only in the form mentioned in the quote. 4 1.88%
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. 27 12.68%
I don't agree with the quote. 33 15.49%
No way it exists and the quote and this question are silly. 85 39.91%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 04:09 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,290,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Welp, so much for that white privilege nonsense.

Quote:
African immigrants to the US are among the most educated groups in the United States. Some 48.9 percent of all African immigrants hold a college diploma. This is more than double the rate of native-born white Americans, and nearly four times the rate of native-born African Americans.[26] According to the 2000 Census, the rate of college diploma acquisition is highest among Egyptian Americans at 59.7 percent, followed closely by Nigerian Americans at 58.6 percent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa...nal_attainment
Clearly, you don’t understand white privilege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 04:47 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I think it’s nuts to think that it doesn’t exist.

I think it's nuts to focus on outcomes and ignore the process that leads to these outcomes.

Blacks commit more crimes than whites.

That's a fact.

Blacks consistently score lower than whites on standardized tests.

That's a fact.

Black fatherlessness is the norm.

That's a fact.

These tendencies on the part of blacks cannot be ignored while we blame whites for consequences stemming from black choices and behaviors.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:51 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm a dark-skinned ghetto kid who turned to anarchism.

I have the world by the balls...especially the 5-0.

Keep your friends close but your enemies closer. Don Corleone didn't lie to Michael.

There is no white privilege. Get your game on, folks.
Freedom is this thing of ours.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Why would I? I'm a successful educated black man.

Clearly you don't understand the detrimental effect of telling poor blacks they don't have enough privilege to make it in this country.

May I recommend a book for your liberal white guilt:

"We all have privilege, we just need to access it."
That is NOT what I’m saying. As I’ve seen, that’s not what anyone here is saying.

Also, I’m a black woman. I don’t have liberal white guilt. Your entire post is ridiculous. Maybe you should not talk about something when you lack a true understanding.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:52 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
What there actually is: Money privilege

Old 05-08-2018, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Your location says Asia.

I do agree on some things here but Asian countries don’t have the same history as the US or the same social norms.

I will say however that it seems the era of post-colonialism, decolonialism, and the end of western dominance is scaring many white people.

Change is difficult.
Back up your racist statement and show proof whites are scared.

End of Western domination? lol Is that why America has its troops all over the world? That domination is the problem.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:56 AM

24,641 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
That is NOT what I’m saying. As I’ve seen, that’s not what anyone here is saying.

Also, I’m a black woman. I don’t have liberal white guilt. Your entire post is ridiculous.
As a black woman, you should know telling poor blacks they don't have the privilege to make it in this country is psychologically damning and I don't condone your insinuations of white genetic predispositions to success and superiority.

Everyone has privilege, we just need to access it.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:59 AM

Quote:
As a black woman, you should know telling poor blacks they don't have the privilege to make it in this country is psychologically damning and I don't condone your insinuations of white genetic predispositions to success.

Everyone has privilege, you just need to access it.
You’re being disingenuous. I did not say what you’re implying.

Educated black man, huh? OK, sure, comrade.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:01 AM

Asians are number one in America. Income, education, lowest crime rate, NUMBER OF TWO PARENT FAMILIES. What about their privilege?

Old 05-08-2018, 05:45 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
I think it exists, but I would expand a bit on the original quote, to clarify things.

A big part of privilege has to do with assumptions, and benefit of the doubt.

If you can get the job or the spot at a top-tier university or the scholarship without anyone wondering if you got it because of affirmative action or some kind of quota system, that's privilege. You are being given the benefit of the doubt.

If you can go to a store and not be followed around because the employees think you are there to shoplift, that's privilege. You are being given the benefit of the doubt.

If you can walk or drive anywhere you want without arousing anyone's suspicion, that's privilege. You are being given the benefit of the doubt.

The first example, particularly regarding jobs, is usually white privilege, sometimes male privilege, particularly if it's a technical field: "How did she get that job, everyone knows men are better at STEM?"

The second two, mostly white privilege, and sometimes age privilege. Nobody suspects Grandma of shoplifting, but people watch teens like hawks.

Hell, I can even think of an example of female privilege. A woman can choose to be a stay-at-home parent and no one blinks an eye, but if a man does it, someone, at some point, will say that he's a bad provider - a deadbeat who isn't taking proper care of his family.

So...yeah, privilege is real. If the terminology offends you, think for a moment about the examples above, and call it by a different name if you like. That doesn't make it any less real.

As for those saying people are blaming privilege for all their misfortunes, I didn't see anything in the original post that even hinted at such a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies