Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White privilege, based on the quote in the OP:
I think it exists. 64 30.05%
Maybe it does exist, but only in the form mentioned in the quote. 4 1.88%
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. 27 12.68%
I don't agree with the quote. 33 15.49%
No way it exists and the quote and this question are silly. 85 39.91%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:06 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times

Advertisements

WP exists only in the minds of those who believe any and every negative interaction that happens to a black person is because they are black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 08:08 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Prescription - extract rent from whites, redistribute to non-whites.
I don't think anyones making that argument just pointing that whites do have privileges that other minority groups do not. I do know that for a lot of right wingers though that there opposition to social programs like welfare has more to do with bigotry than it has to do with ideological principles.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:08 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,290,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Being treated decently is a privilege?? Then I guess you believe nobody should get such special treatment and white people should be trailed through stores if black people are.
Being treated differently (usually better) because you are white is white privilege. Someone upthread mentioned receiving the benefit of the doubt. Yes, that can also be an example of white privilege.

For example, a made-up situation would be... Two people walk from a store with shopping bags. The white person is allowed to leave with no questions; however, the black customer is asked to have their bags checked before departing.

Another example might be... A person of color being asked for additional identification when writing a check (assuming it’s, say, 1992), while the white customer is asked for no identification.

Yet, another example might be... A black person having trouble hailing a cab on a city street, but the same cab that passes him stops to pick up the fare from the white lady a few blocks away.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:09 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The conclusion and prescription haven't changed since the 60s. All that is changing is now that you no longer have overt racism on the part of the individual in favor of whites, and have actually flipped to institutional racism on the part of the government in favor of non-whites (except Asians), and all that government favor has resulted in either no change or worsening of various socioeconomic relativities...well, a new excuse needs to be formulated in order to keep extracting rent via the institutional government racism system.

Rent
Seeking
Nonsense
Now we have UNCONSCIOUS RACISM. So, we don't even have to be racist, or bigoted, just by our existence as a White person we carry unconscious racism, just like Original Sin. No doing, nor action of our own, it is something we inherited by being White.

As you say, the fix is always some kind of monetary transfer, or transfer of consideration like Affirmative Action. So instead of leveling the playing field, the Left wants to level the OUTCOME. To do that does not require making opportunities equal, but making them unequal in favor of the perceived aggrieved party. In this case Blacks.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:09 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I reject the term and I reject the concept. It's meant to assign collective guilt and I only take responsibility for my own individual actions or the actions of those under my direct guardianship.
Amen. I know white people who will follow the white tradesman through their home because they've been ripped off so many times, but will not do this if it's someone who is black because they don't want that person to think it's because they're black.

I've watched women I worked with who would step over colleagues if they were dying, race out of a building with their umbrella to save some black stranger who was caught in a downpour.

I've seen excuses made for black employees by upper management when white employees have been taken to task for the same things.

Is that black privilege? Or the result of white guilt?

Is treating black folks differently white privilege? Or the result of stereotyping and profiling?

It's either yes to both or no to both.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:14 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I don't think anyones making that argument just pointing that whites do have privileges that other minority groups do not. I do know that for a lot of right wingers though that there opposition to social programs like welfare has more to do with bigotry than it has to do with ideological principles.
How do you know this? Did someone tell you?

Old 05-08-2018, 08:14 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Being treated differently (usually better) because you are white is white privilege. Someone upthread mentioned receiving the benefit of the doubt. Yes, that can also be an example of white privilege.

For example, a made-up example would be... Two people walk from a store with shopping bags. The white person is allowed to leave with no questions; however, the black customer is asked to have their bags checked before departing.

Another example might be... A person of color being asked for additional identification when writing a check (assuming it’s, say, 1992), while the white customer is asked for no identification.

Yet, another example might be... A black person having trouble hailing a cab on a city street, but the same cab that passes him stops to pick up the fare from the white lady a few blocks away.

You don't need to cite examples, I'm aware of them and do not deny that they happen.

Privilege is a special advantage afforded to one group and denied others. Being treated decently isn't a special advantage - it's just the way all people should be treated. Period.

To state that this is white privilege only means you think nobody should be treated like white people, and everyone should have their bags checked at the door.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:16 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,942,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
How do you know this? Did someone tell you?
Yea if you read between the lines most right wingers not all mind you just the very vocal ones imply that blacks are dumb and lazy and criminals and therefore undeserving of any help.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:18 AM

1,874 posts, read 818,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post

For example, a made-up situation would be... Two people walk from a store with shopping bags. The white person is allowed to leave with no questions; however, the black customer is asked to have their bags checked before departing.

Again, you are talking about stereotypes. There is no need to make up a term directed at whites for negative stereotypes about blacks. Its like you insist on taking the inverse of reality out of refusal to acknowledge negative stereotypes about blacks. Why do these stereotypes exist? Do you think they are completely made up?

Old 05-08-2018, 08:18 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,290,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You don't need to cite examples, I'm aware of them and do not deny that they happen.

Privilege is a special advantage afforded to one group and denied others. Being treated decently isn't a special advantage - it's just the way all people should be treated. Period.

To state that this is white privilege only means you think nobody should be treated like white people, and everyone should have their bags checked at the door.
Yeah, no... that’s not what I think, and that’s not what I said. Whatever rules—strict, lenient, what have you—are mandatory at the store (in this made-up situation), they should be applied equally, regardless of the color of the shoppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies