Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White privilege, based on the quote in the OP:
I think it exists. 64 30.05%
Maybe it does exist, but only in the form mentioned in the quote. 4 1.88%
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. 27 12.68%
I don't agree with the quote. 33 15.49%
No way it exists and the quote and this question are silly. 85 39.91%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 10:26 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Which country offers a better opportunity for blacks today , if not America ?
None, no other country has areas like Atlanta or Houston where there is a large significant black middle class. Black Americans as a whole have 13 times the combined wealth of the entire continent of Africa. There is no better place in the world for Black people to live.

Also, the black community will never advance as a whole with this woe is me, I can not make it because im oppressed attitude. Even is there were more obstacles in their path, No one can get ahead with that mentality. If I break my back tomorrow and am wheelchair bound for the rest of my life I have 2 options sit around and b*tch and complain that life is not fair or bust my ass to be the best at everything I can do and attack life head on despite my injury. The latter is obviously a better life approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 10:41 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Unless I am badly mistaken, the discussion is about whether or not white privilege exists - no more and no less. The excerpt in the original post even says explicitly that it's not a question of good or bad outcomes for all members of any group.
You are badly mistaken. It's about the advantanges. Why else bring it up?
It is the main point on what it is about. One cannot escape outcome when talking about privilege.

definition - a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:45 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I don't think anyones making that argument just pointing that whites do have privileges that other minority groups do not. I do know that for a lot of right wingers though that there opposition to social programs like welfare has more to do with bigotry than it has to do with ideological principles.
Then you don't know much since it's not about that. But anytime one can deflect from policy since the progressive lefts policies are known failures why not falsely play the race card.

bw Alot more whites are on welfare than blacks.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:50 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,794,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I don't think anyones making that argument just pointing that whites do have privileges that other minority groups do not. I do know that for a lot of right wingers though that there opposition to social programs like welfare has more to do with bigotry than it has to do with ideological principles.
You obviously are not very nuanced in conservative ideology. I have never heard a conservative mention race when objecting to government charity.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:53 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You don't need to cite examples, I'm aware of them and do not deny that they happen.

Privilege is a special advantage afforded to one group and denied others. Being treated decently isn't a special advantage - it's just the way all people should be treated. Period.

To state that this is white privilege only means you think nobody should be treated like white people, and everyone should have their bags checked at the door.
That isn't even remotely what it means.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:56 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
get rid of affirmative action, and all that goes away.

sound good to you? it does to me, too.
Maybe it does for you, but have we removed the reason so many people treat anyone who isn't white differently?

As in, without AA, would qualified black and Hispanic candidates get overlooked to hire a white man?

Old 05-08-2018, 10:58 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times
The idea of white privilege is ridiculous and it is snowflake speak......something to be mocked IMO. I have nothing but contempt for those who believe in this sort of thing. Those who obsess about what is or is not PC and worry about the so called white privilege are left wing trash and enemies of America. I wish they would all take thier coloring books and go crawl into thier safe spaces and leave the rest of normal America alone.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:25 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
What's interesting is that people who insist on how immense the "white privilege" is in society, will often deny that they have "heterosexual, tall, cis gender privilege" for example. They will refuse to check their own privilege every morning and will not acknowledge that they benefit from the oppression of others. So in the end, it all seems to be a case of wanting to be a victim. When they are told that they are also the oppressor, they start getting defensive.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:27 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If you are white, think of any problem you might have and then add being black to it and then think about that for awhile.

It is a real thing.

By virtue of having white skin you enjoy lots of privileges. That you cannot see how privileged you are indicates your privilege!!!!

If you are not willing to even think you are privileged, you are racist. No argument, just pure racist.
It sounds to me like you are suggesting that anyone born white must be racist. How are you not a racist?

Old 05-08-2018, 11:28 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
You may be right about "advantage," as the word "privilege" seems to imply material wealth, when that is not the core of the issue. Witness many of the comments here claiming that privilege is a guarantee of success even though the initial post said that was not the case.
Because people are trying to re-define the world "privilege". A privileged person is considered a well off person, part of some elite group. When every Joe Schmoe, toothless drug addict who was abused as a child is labeled as a "privileged" person who should pay a price for benefiting from the oppression of others, people have gone off the deep end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies