Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White privilege, based on the quote in the OP:
I think it exists. 64 30.05%
Maybe it does exist, but only in the form mentioned in the quote. 4 1.88%
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. 27 12.68%
I don't agree with the quote. 33 15.49%
No way it exists and the quote and this question are silly. 85 39.91%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 04:51 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,179,752 times

Advertisements

Not all races or cultures are the same with some be superior to others. The USA was largely founded and successful thank to European people that came here and made a great country. Sure, other races came to join in our success and contributed, but largely it was and still is European culture, race that got the ball rolling and built a great nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 01:18 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think there's something to the notion of Asian privilege, yes... but, it's not a whole system thing in the way that white privilege would be.
Definitely not when it comes to admission to elite universities. Many Asian students avoid the race question altogether because it actually hurts their chances.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:21 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Your post is so 1968...
....and still so accurate fifty years later. It's amazing how the biggest takeaway from the election, per Fox News, is that white men are now a disenfranchised group. I've been laughing my ass off for six months now at that one.

Old 05-12-2018, 01:49 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It definitely exists, and most people don't see it because it can often manifest in innocuous ways.

I was recently thinking about the Starbucks incident the other day. And I had remembered the many times I walked into a Starbucks to use a restroom or to just sit down for a minute.

I usually would buy something, but not immediately. And I was never approached (or even looked at) for not buying something.

Yes, I believe that is because how I look (white male).
And if you had looked like a Korean female, you think you would have been approached for not buying something? Or would you claim you had Korean female privilege? You see how silly this is?

Old 05-12-2018, 02:07 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I don't see how anyone can deny that white privilege exists.
Because there is a big difference between saying that "black people can get discriminated against in America" and saying "all white people are privileged". Its stupidly adversarial and generalizing, only causing demonization, its like saying your cis gendered privilege or tall privilege or heterosexual privilege means you should be quiet and listen because you benefit from the oppression of others.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:08 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
I was reading an article for one of my graduate courses and thought some of you might find it interesting. It's brief.

Here's a really concise quote.... based on this quote, how would you answer the poll?

"It’s important to note that privilege does not guarantee good outcomes for the privileged group or bad outcomes for everyone else. A white person, for example, can work hard and have little to show for it, can be mistreated by the police without cause, be denied a job they’re qualified for. What privilege does is load the odds one way or the other so that the chance of bad things happening to white people as a category of people is much lower than for everyone else, and the chance of good things happening is much higher. Privilege is not something a person can have, like a possession, as in “Where’s mine?†Instead, it is a characteristic of the social system—like a rule in a game—in which everyone participates."

Here's a link to it if anyone wants to read the article (I promise, it really is short): What is a ‘system of privilege’? – Allan G. Johnson

So... what's your opinion, based on the definition offered above?
LOL..white privilege.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:13 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Do you get followed around stores based on your skin color, while people think you might be a shoplifter?

Do you worry when a police officer stops your car that you might get shot, even though you don't think you did anything wrong?

Have you ever been accused of getting a job or gaining admission to a university solely because you were being used to fill a racial quota?

If you have never had these things happen, you HAVE experienced white privilege.
Yes , I have been followed around in a few stores. I noticed it.. I had a large carry all when I was a teen because I didn't get a bus from school and had to put all my gym clothes and books in it. I would frequent a variety store on my way home and was followed quite a lot.

I always addressed a patrolman , yes, officer , no officer and did what I was told to do as politely as possible. I was taught to respect all authority especially the police . I was stopped by a policeman and got a ticket for going 35 in a 25 mph zone. I was then again stopped ten minutes later and showed the second officer my ticket. I was driving a red corvette and assumed the car was getting the business , not me.

No, I worked my butt off for each job I got and was rejected too. I didn't complain. This life has its ups and downs. I was also picked on continuously and put a heavy work load daily to break me as I was the replacement of her choice who made many mistakes and my previous boss took them out, and she was a black supervisor who didn't like the boss who placed me there. She let me know . No ones desk was piled high as mine with work. No one. And I met all deadlines. He knew I could handle the job. Never thought race was involved but since I see how Obama hates whites , I now wonder if that was the case on her part and this was many many decades ago. Never thought of race till Obama made it up front and in everyone's face. My niceness to her never won her over.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:25 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,906,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
....and still so accurate fifty years later. It's amazing how the biggest takeaway from the election, per Fox News, is that white men are now a disenfranchised group. I've been laughing my ass off for six months now at that one.
Groovy. Headed to Woodstock, man??

Old 05-14-2018, 08:41 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
they always claimed that united states was a melting pot of immigrants, which is not true, if it was, then they would not be any discrimination. united states is a nation of individual, where you can come in and speak your language have your culture and only obey your laws. what if? Everybody acted the same, went to same schools, same employment, same churches and same stores, spoke the same language, had the same outlook of life and love of country.

Sounds like what been preach the pass fifty years, but its aint so. People are individual, they dont care about their neighbor, they dont care about getting on the same page. its basically, give me something for free and leave me alone. we are not americans, we are our motherland first

Old 05-16-2018, 07:53 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I have been laughing my ass off since I read your takeaway on Fox News, excuse me your BIGGEST takeaway, is that "white men are now a disenfranchised group".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies