Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White privilege, based on the quote in the OP:
I think it exists. 64 30.05%
Maybe it does exist, but only in the form mentioned in the quote. 4 1.88%
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. 27 12.68%
I don't agree with the quote. 33 15.49%
No way it exists and the quote and this question are silly. 85 39.91%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 08:26 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Plenty of alternatives have been advanced. Those who advance the concept of "white privilege" have decided that the terms which already exist are insufficient.

I don't know how many times it has to be explained to you that having a PRIVILEGE is being treated in a way that is SPECIAL or BEYOND THE EXPECTED NORM FOR EVERYONE ELSE.

If what white people experience (in some mystical collective where there is a shared "white experience") is the default for the US and other western countries because they represent the MAJORITY, then that is the BASELINE from which all other experiences are measured.

In that way, "white people" as a group can NEVER be "privileged." Non-white people can only ever be DISADVANTAGED or DISCRIMINATED by not having the EXPECTED and NORMAL experience of the majority.

"Privilege" theory is an abhorrent worldview to have. It's also funny how race-based privilege is focused on, when so many others appear to be far more correlative to one's experience in general in the US than race. Leftists always focus on a few pet categories of analysis while ignoring 100 others behind the curtain.

Check your privilege? Time to start checking the ignorance around here.

Can't rep you again for awhile but you said it better than I. I don't know why people cannot grasp this - it's quite simple.

To state that there is such a thing as white privilege, means that whites should not be treated the way they are treated - they should be treated the way blacks are treated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 01:14 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Wink White Privilege: How much do you or don't you acknowledge it?

As an old guy who has been to and worked in 3rd world countries, I KNOW how fortunate I've been to be born a white male in the USA.

I realize that I've won the birthright lottery on this planet.

One of the truly amusing aspects of this forum is to read the yipping and yapping of my white American brethren grousing about "how tough they have it."

Carry on.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:19 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
As an old guy who has been to and worked in 3rd world countries, I KNOW how fortunate I've been to be born a white male in the USA.

One of the truly amusing aspects of this forum is to read the yipping and yapping of my white American brethren grousing about "how tough they have it."

Carry on.

I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread.

I don't see any white American's grousing about how tough they have it.

Most have acknowledged that black folks are not treated as well as white folks.

You seem confused about that if you did intend to post it here.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:02 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
It definitely exists, and most people don't see it because it can often manifest in innocuous ways.

I was recently thinking about the Starbucks incident the other day. And I had remembered the many times I walked into a Starbucks to use a restroom or to just sit down for a minute.

I usually would buy something, but not immediately. And I was never approached (or even looked at) for not buying something.

Yes, I believe that is because how I look (white male).

Old 05-11-2018, 02:08 PM

20,110 posts, read 9,028,155 times
I'm just happy knowing you can go into a Starbucks and sit around.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:49 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,108,261 times
Was white privilege in the trenches of WW1?

Old 05-11-2018, 03:06 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm sorry you're not able to comprehend the dictionary definition of "priviliege" provided above. How sad for you.

The dictionary definition literally supports what I wrote. I'm sorry you're so entrenched in garbage social science that you've forgotten the normal and ordinary definitions of words:

Privilege: "a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people."

Did you also buy a useless degree? Spend too much on Tumblr getting "Lessons on the way things are" by blue haired girls with cat rimmed glasses that haven't worked a real day in their entire useless lives spent studying internet social justice?

Based on the definition of PRIVILEGE, there is no SPECIAL rights, or advantages given to white people vs. minorities. NONE. Zero. Zilch. Situationally, you may have an instance where say, a white manager hires only white people, but consider this:

In the course of 1 mile in a road in my town there are three fast food restaurants.

Chick-Fil-A: White manager. All the employees are younger kids, majority white. But, with some visible minorities in the mix.

McDonalds: Latino manager. All the employees are Latinos.

Wendy's: Haitian manager. All the employees are Haitian. This, in a town where the majority of the black population is African-American, and NOT Haitian.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread.

I don't see any white American's grousing about how tough they have it.

Most have acknowledged that black folks are not treated as well as white folks.

You seem confused about that if you did intend to post it here.
There are hundreds of threads in this forum.

Look around.

It isn't hard to find the malcontents.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:36 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

Carry on.

Your post is so 1968...

Old 05-11-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Your post is so 1968...
I'm old.

Doesn't seem like 50 years ago.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies