Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 12:23 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
This is so buried down as post number 3700 or so... but I got to say...

Well played Mr. President. Well played, indeed. I think I see his play here.

So, he gives the red meat to his base by his over-the-top method of immigration enforcement. Yet, he lets the Republican party rank-and-file hide behind him. He gets to the bad guy while the Republican politicians can play the voice of reason. They can finally speak out against the President on something and that might help them win back some people who were the fence about Republicans. There IS a line that the President can cross where Republicans will fight back. It took a while, but we got there.

It is a win-win for the President and Republicans. The President will bear the storm while the vulnerable Republicans up for re-election in 2018 can say "Look, what the President did was plain crazy and we fought back! See? We can actually stand up to him."

Well played, indeed. There's a term for the kind of strategy that is being employed here. I can't think of what it is called though.

Or maybe I'm just giving the President too much credit. Who knows?
I see it as dividing the Republican party to be conquered do to Trump's stubborn idiocy.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:23 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
NO, Quote it.

Quote the verbiage requiring Trump to split up families...

Judges issue decisions that run for pages. They do not sum it up into sound bites. That is left to the media. Since you are unwilling to accept the media interpretation of the ruling, read the rulings yourself.

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...5/17-55208.pdf

Flores was originally about unaccompanied minors but do see note 1 on page 5 that they have determined it applies to both accompanied and unaccompanied minors.

Now technically it only applies to minors, saying they cannot be held more than 20 days. But if you release the minor and keep the parent in detention then you are not keeping the family together.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:24 PM

45,543 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Do you really want me to post the video of the crocodile tear chuck schumer telling Trump "with a swipe of your pen" you can end this?
Schumer rejects GOP proposal to address border crisis

Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer (N.Y.) on Tuesday dismissed a legislative proposal backed by Republican leaders to keep immigrant families together at the border, arguing that President Trump could fix the problem more easily with a flick of his pen.

“There are so many obstacles to legislation and when the president can do it with his own pen, it makes no sense,” Schumer told reporters. “Legislation is not the way to go here when it’s so easy for the president to sign it.”

Democrats want to keep the pressure on Trump instead of having Congress assume responsibility for the growing crisis.

Schumer’s position immediately raised speculation over how long Democrats would stick to their position if Trump refuses to change his mind.

“Let’s hope we never get to that. Let’s hope the president does the right thing and solves the problem, which he can do. That’s the simple, easiest and most likely way this will happen,” Schumer said.

Congress not doing their job. That's why their approval rating is in the dumps.

So now it's a political chess match.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:25 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Considering it's probable a large part of the kitchen and waitstaff are Latino, she might have just walked away from an understandable spit taco.
She better be thankful that the kitchen staff didnt pull a Minnie from The Help.

Of course if crap comes out of your mouth, its only fair that you swallow it.

9,837 posts, read 4,633,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
And now, Trump is agreeing to stop this policy if you have not heard. It' going to be hilarious watching the Trump cultists twist, turn, flip and flop trying to justify why he changed his mind.
yep, but they are still here claiming "its the law" yet not one of them here or anywhere has ever been able to quote a requirement to split kids from moms...

If such a law existed the Trumpers would have found the verbiage and used it like a weapon to beat liberals over the head with... yet they have not because it is all one massive lie , Trump and Sessions lied, Ryan and Mitch backed the lie until the cost was too high. But the cult having fallen for the lie are reluctant to stop repeating it.

20,702 posts, read 12,528,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's all a sociopath is capable of doing, without empathy they can't even comprehend their heinous acts.
Exactly!

Old 06-20-2018, 12:29 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,284,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert&Ripley View Post
She better be thankful that the kitchen staff didnt pull a Minnie from The Help.

Of course if crap comes out of your mouth, its only fair that you swallow it.
It’s really pretty tone-deaf of her to go there, anyway.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:29 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Breaking news, Trump to stop separations of children from parents.
Sometimes the written law is draconian, it's not fit for purpose in this particular case. Thank you President Trump!

Old 06-20-2018, 12:30 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,633,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Judges issue decisions that run for pages. They do not sum it up into sound bites. That is left to the media. Since you are unwilling to accept the media interpretation of the ruling, read the rulings yourself.

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastor...5/17-55208.pdf

Flores was originally about unaccompanied minors but do see note 1 on page 5 that they have determined it applies to both accompanied and unaccompanied minors.

Now technically it only applies to minors, saying they cannot be held more than 20 days. But if you release the minor and keep the parent in detention then you are not keeping the family together.

Well quote it.. Pretending "it is in there" does not wash mate.

Nowhere did the judge say "split families" Nowhere did the judge say anything like that. If the judge did you would be quoting it right now...

Quote the law requiring it , Quote verbiage if it were there the alt rights/cult would have it nicely laid out for you....

so quote it.

Old 06-20-2018, 12:31 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,528,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Kidnapping kids is where McConnell and the Republicans draw the line.

Good to know.

For now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies