Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 04:39 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This Schlossberg idiot has been catching hell ever since. His law practice got bombarded on Yelp. He’s been dodging cameras and interviews since it happened. His firm gave $500 to Trump.

I wish someone had came over and sucker punched him right in the jaw as he was yammering. Effin punk. Typical Trumper.
So you advocate physical violence?

Old 05-17-2018, 04:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Then you would be violating federal law. The EEOC has clearly articulated the law’s position on English-only rules in the workplace: they are strictly prohibited except in very tailored circumstances. This issue has been litigated and settled by the judiciary many times over. I suggest you consult with legal counsel immediately if this is in fact your current practice.

https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/publicatio...ants-facts.cfm

https://www.dol.gov/oasam/programs/c...-Factsheet.htm

This covers just about any business I know.

Quote:
Circumstances in which an English-only rule may be justified include: communications with customers or coworkers who only speak English; emergencies or other situations in which workers must speak a common language to promote safety; cooperative work assignments in which the English-only rule is needed to promote efficiency.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:45 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Stories like this help restore my faith in mankind:

"Someone crowdfunded a mariachi band, piñatas, and a taco truck to show up outside Schlossberg's offices at a time to be determined."

https://www.gofundme.com/Mariachisforaaron

That. Is. Awesome.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:52 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,348,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This covers just about any business I know.
Then your scope of knowledge must be highly limited. The vast majority of businesses in the US cannot lawfully adopt a speak English only rule for all its employees, and when they meet the exception they can only do so for very specific tasks. Like I said, you would be violating federal law if you “required your employees to speak English only unless it was for the benefit of the customers.”

Old 05-17-2018, 05:08 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,612,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
All the more reason to keep speaking Spanish (or whatever language you speak) in public. My family came here in 1638, but that's not enough to rest on my laurels and be uncompetitive in the global marketplace by only speaking one language. And you've got to practice! Come at me.
Is Spanish more useful than English when it comes to competing in the global marketplace?

Old 05-17-2018, 05:08 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
I can't stop laughing at this video of him running from news cameras.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/997214014378856450

Old 05-17-2018, 05:10 PM

10,237 posts, read 6,327,985 times
It just seems to me that all this is escalating towards SPANISH speaking people and their culture. Trump and all of his anti-immigrant, illegal or not behind the message, border wall, ICE, is causing this towards one particular group. When have we ever heard of someone going into a rage over Chinese being spoken in a take out restaurant, or a Play entitled Mamma Mia, or my Big Fat Greek Wedding?

It seems the only language and culture not "allowed" today is the Hispanic one. BTW, this crazy attorney is JEWISH. He of all people should know better.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Then your scope of knowledge must be highly limited. The vast majority of businesses in the US cannot lawfully adopt a speak English only rule for all its employees, and when they meet the exception they can only do so for very specific tasks. Like I said, you would be violating federal law if you “required your employees to speak English only unless it was for the benefit of the customers.”

People get fired all the time for all kinds of things.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:17 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,612,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
It just seems to me that all this is escalating towards SPANISH speaking people and their culture. Trump and all of his anti-immigrant, illegal or not behind the message, border wall, ICE, is causing this towards one particular group. When have we ever heard of someone going into a rage over Chinese being spoken in a take out restaurant, or a Play entitled Mamma Mia, or my Big Fat Greek Wedding?

It seems the only language and culture not "allowed" today is the Hispanic one. BTW, this crazy attorney is JEWISH. He of all people should know better.
What? Mama Mia (the movie anyway) was entirely English; so was my Big Fat Greek Wedding. As far as Chinese take-out, the person taking my order and handling my cash has always spoken English. It would be silly of them to put a non-English speaker at the register or waiting tables if the neighborhood is majority English-speaking.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:29 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
As far as Chinese take-out, the person taking my order and handling my cash has always spoken English. It would be silly of them to put a non-English speaker at the register or waiting tables if the neighborhood is majority English-speaking.
Really? Most of the take out places I've been to, the cashier barely speaks English. Or they have a young child who looks to be about 10 taking people's orders.

But this guy's problem isn't just with Spanish speakers, its with anyone who looks foreign. There's videos of him ranting at Eastern Europeans, Orthodox Jews, and an American that he mistakes for Middle Eastern.

Which is odd considering this dude, who is fluent in Spanish, looks pretty foreign himself. Seems to be some self hate going on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies