Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:20 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,339,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
White kids liking rap and hip hop is a fad. It started back in the mid 90s. I would bet 10-20 yrs from now, they will be on to something different.

Yes, she should have skipped this particular word, even if on stage singing it, even though Im a white guy in my 40s, I realize I have NO business EVER using or saying that word in the same way black people do.

A fad, LMAO. Rap and hip hop dominate now, even country has adapted to incorporate more hip hop style beats to stay relevant.

You are also off by about a decade. Rap was around long before the mid 90s. NWA came out in the mid to late 80s and completely changed the direction of popular music.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:22 AM

1,239 posts, read 510,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm not sure why this was even done. Why ask anyone to come onstage and sing lyrics YOU wrote if you don't want them to sing part of the lyrics?

I completely agree that white people should not be calling black people by the N word, but come on. If you do not want white people singing some portion of the lyrics either don't invite them on state or tell them what you want them to do once they get there.

Some of the commentary is implying this girl rapping along with lyrics is the same as issuing racial slurs aimed at a person. I disagree. What she did, by rapping all his lyrics (like she was invited there to do) is the same as reading Huck Finn aloud and not censoring the content or quoting a line from Pulp Fiction.

If we are going to decide that word is not to be used, we all have to agree to quit putting it in books and in movies and in lyrics and leave it for conversational use among black people ONLY.

Because you cannot have it both ways.

I'm personally all for getting rid of it.
I don't know any white people into hip-hop who aren't aware that they should skip the word if singing in public.
The girl was hyped, made a mistake, Kendrick informed her, and let her get back to it.

There's really nothing to this.

If all things were equal, and racism wasn't so ingrained in our culture, than I'm sure the use of the N word would change.

I love seeing racists get outraged that they can't use the word. We don't let black people BBQ, sleep at school, drive, or do home inspections, but then flip out because we're not supposed to say a word.

Hypocritical White Privilege at its best.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:25 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
I don't know any white people into hip-hop who aren't aware that they should skip the word if singing in public.
The girl was hyped, made a mistake, Kendrick informed her, and let her get back to it.

If all things were equal, and racism wasn't so ingrained in our culture, than I'm sure the use of the N word would change.

I love seeing racists get outraged that they can't use the word. We don't let black people BBQ, sleep at school, drive, or do home inspections, but then flip out because we're not supposed to say a word.

Yup -- talked about this with my son this morning. He says most folks know what to do and NOT to do at a hip hop concert. She got giddy and forgot, he fixed it - -in good humor and went on.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:30 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:

If they have to "skip words" then the music isn't for them. It really isn't. This is some white guilt stuff.

I can't even conceive not being allowed to sing along at concerts, and being scolded after I paid good money, no way........no way. These kids are screwed.

Righto on the barbeque, what a scam. Do these PC police just wait for white victims to come into their webs....and cry racism and victimhood. Then they sent the white lady to get her.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:36 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
All involved are foolish.

Not sure why people follow these rappers, so many of whom are known to act ridiculously.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:38 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Sounds like the whole thing was staged, including her being in on it.
Yeah, it looked like a pro wrestling style drama and she was playing the heel - righteous anger for the crowd against a "racist" for entertainment.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:38 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
If they have to "skip words" then the music isn't for them. It really isn't. This is some white guilt stuff.

I can't even conceive not being allowed to sing along at concerts, and being scolded after I paid good money, no way........no way. These kids are screwed.

Righto on the barbeque, what a scam. Do these PC police just wait for white victims to come into their webs....and cry racism and victimhood. Then they sent the white lady to get her.
What she said^^^^

It wont let me rep you again. Hit like 4 of your posts here.

The rapper and all his TWIT'er followers need throat punches.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:40 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:

I'm not outraged that I cannot use that word. I don't use it.

What I'm confused about is way he set up a drunk kid.

Because that is what he did.

I doubt this same girl would ever use that word as a slur while standing in line at the grocery store. And much like your friends, I'm sure she knows not to be singing along to it when out in a group of people.

She is a fan. She has all his albums. She paid to go to his concert. He invited her on stage. He asked her to sing a song that contains so many mentions of that word it's hard to keep rhyme without an alternative word to hold its place.

So, why not just invite a black kid up for that one?

I am not so sure I agree with how this was handled. I don't think she hopped on stage thinking "yay! I get to say the N word!" I'm pretty sure the girl was excited to be invited to rap with an artist she likes very much.

And, grown people are sitting around on the internet wishing her ill for quoting lyrics he wrote.

She didn't make that up. He did.

I know I wouldn't sing that word on stage like she did, because I've been around the block too many times and I wouldn't feel comfortable, even if I was drunk off my ass.

But, she looks pretty young and pretty intoxicated. I think she was honestly just excited.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:42 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'm not sure why this was even done.
It was done to entertain the crowd. Nothing would satisfy a rap audience more than the chance to boo a racist.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:42 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Do conservatives have some kind of mother ship that they check in with each morning to be told about things that should make them angry?
Nothing quite equivalent to CNN. You know, the liberal mother ship that plays in airports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies