Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you like Trump nefore he ran for office.
Yes, I liked him then and now. 42 18.67%
I liked him them but not now 10 4.44%
No I never liked him 148 65.78%
I didn't like him before but now I do. 25 11.11%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 08:30 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times

Advertisements

Not then not now -but it takes a Stalin to stop a Hitler
The dems are showing their hand what they really are- violent people
The sheep clothing has been cast off
Dems are now the anti American party
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 08:33 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Very true.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:44 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Back in 2014, I was speaking with the Trump organization regarding a business matter. I dealt with Ivanka and was very impressed with her. She came to the meeting with her lawyers and accountants, but she took the lead and it was clear that she knew what she was talking about regarding this commercial real estate project. Very nice, smart, naturally beautiful, and surprisingly, as tall as I am!

In the end, they decided not to pursue the project. Ivanka and "Mr. Trump" called to explain why. It was the only time I ever spoke with him, and I was impressed that he "let" Ivanka do all the talking. I thought that was great that he gave her the reins to take charge with the details of the conversation.

Now I look back and I see that very, very differently. He wasn't "letting" her take charge. He NEEDED her to do the talking and to have all the details.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:48 AM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
On the other hand Jimmy Carter was a very likable fellow but a mediocre President.
I'll take a President doing a good job which is what Trump is doing.

I'm just very thankful Obama's gone and Hillary is at home doing Yoga and kissing her grandkids.

Would Hillary have been any more likable ? I think not.

My god, that laugh and my ears. OUCH!
Nah. That was the dilemma. Which of these two P's OS was going to end up in the Oval Office? It would not have been good either way.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:48 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,103,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Not then not now -but it takes a Stalin to stop a Hitler
Dems are now the anti American party
And it's Trump and the pubs who are cozying up to dictators like Vladimir Putin, Turkey's Erdogan, Philippines' Duterte, etc., while insulting and alienating our traditional allies, Canada, Germany, etc. Can't get any more "anti American" than that.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:53 AM

13,660 posts, read 9,727,106 times
A leader can be "likeable" on account of personality, charisma, conveyance of an impression of humility, sincerity, good nature and so forth. Or, a leader can be "likeable" in the sense of being resolute during perilous times, effective in making decisions, able to size-up problems and to delegate. Finally, anyone - leader or otherwise - can be likeable simply because we happen to agree with him/her in matters of policy.

In the first case, the person in question is morally upstanding, perhaps fun, perhaps even reliable as a friend - but lacks the fortitude of leadership. This is the accusation traditionally leveled against Jimmy Carter. In the second case, the person is perhaps a weasel and a cad, but knows how to lead, how to get things done. A good example would be Bill Clinton. The third case is for me rare, in matters of politics. But an example of a prominent politician with whom I agreed in most matters, who failed in the first two categories, would be Gary Hart (remember him? 1984 and 1988 campaigns).

Trump, for me, fails in all three cat categories.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:01 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,087,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I lived in New York from 1983 to 2000 or so. As such Trump was a constant fixture on the local news.

It was clear to me that he was as arrogant as can be.

Ditto here...lived and worked in NYC through through the mid 2000's

The Dotard was on the cover of the Post or the Enquirer. He was portrayed as a clown, a philanderer, and scam real estate developer, and of course, the guy who stuffed Wall Street with Billions in bad bonds from his Atlantic City foray. Basically, everything he touched was a disaster. Hence his need to turn to Russia and Deutche Bank for financing...no one in the US will touch him.

Mitt Romney pretty much nailed it with his comments about Donald being a charlatan, a fraud, a clown not fit for public office. That was the Donald that we saw in NYC and he was just passed off as a media clown with no real depth of being. A prostitute here, a nude dancer there, a new wife; then a flashy divorce which was headline in the tabloids for weeks.

Donald was just a low life scum who made flashy headlines, and that is how I knew him. That he convinced a whole bunch of gullible Americans with his shtick (and still has there support even after he stuffed them with a huge tax hike and job cuts to finance his ego, took away their health care, and gutted their Constitution--not to mention being the subject of a years long criminal investigation for all sorts of fraudulent behaviors) is just amazing to those of us who know him well from his NYC charades.

Like him? He was just a joke. Flashy cars; flashy women; no substance. Pretty much what he is now. A clown.

Last edited by Ted Bear; 07-05-2018 at 09:47 AM..

Old 07-05-2018, 09:12 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,820,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I found him to be obnoxious, crass and lacking decorum but I didn't dislike him. He was just... there.
This is pretty much me.

When I first heard he might run for President I wasn't completely opposed to it until he aligned himself with the far right and the evangelicals.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:18 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,702,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I don’t know if some of you know this, but Biff from the “Back to the future” series was based on Trump!
Check out 1985 Biff's hair. There you go. I could totally see Trump saying "Hey, butthead!" What I wouldn't give to hear Trump tell an ally "Why don't you make like a tree, and get out of here?"

Old 07-05-2018, 09:23 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,321,135 times
Your question results in not much for your poll. It doesn't matter to like the President or not. Lots of people don't like other people.

It does matter if you like what he does policy wise or governance wise.

Does not reflect on us and i for one am never likely to meet him or any President.

Bottomline, a better question would be "Did you like Trump's policies before he ran for office?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies