Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 09:37 PM

725 posts, read 805,844 times

Advertisements

The confederate flag represents the millions of people in the south who declared independence and did not want to be part of the northern states who had too much political control and prevented the south from having self determination. If you oppose the confederacy you also oppose the Declaration of Independence in 1776 and formation of the United States. Anytime you have to physically force a group of people to be part of your country they are basically your slaves. That’s why if a sizable portion of California wants to declare independence and secede, that is good. There is enough space and land for every group to self govern and make decisions for themselves. Liberals and conservatives would be a lot happier if we had a divorce and went our separate ways.

In reality we are not a United States but a disunited one. 35-40 states don’t want to be part of the other 10-15. People put too much importance on flags and country. I have allegiance to the concept of freedom, free speech, freedom to own property and freedom of self defense, freedom of worship and freedom of association. I don’t have allegiance to some flag or government which usurps it.

Last edited by john620; 07-31-2018 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 10:06 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
The confederate flag represents the millions of people in the south who declared independence and did not want to be part of the northern states who had too much political control and prevented the south from having self determination. If you oppose the confederacy you also oppose the Declaration of Independence in 1776 and formation of the United States. Anytime you have to physically force a group of people to be part of your country they are basically your slaves. That’s why if a sizable portion of California wants to declare independence and secede, that is good. There is enough space and land for every group to self govern and make decisions for themselves.

In reality we are not a United States but a disunited one. 35-40 states don’t want to be part of the other 10-15. People put too much importance on flags and country. I have allegiance to the concept of freedom, free speech, freedom to own property and freedom of self defense, freedom of worship and freedom of association. I don’t have allegiance to some flag or government which usurps it.
Well said, me too. This needs to be repped often.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:08 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
I shouldn't have to prove my ancestry to some schlub on an internet forum. All I'll say is that when I moved to Denver 12 years ago I didn't realize just how strong the sun is here and I ended my first summer here looking like the dudes who do our yard work. I bet I get nearly as dark as you.
He's not just any schlub.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
I shouldn't have to prove my ancestry to some schlub on an internet forum. All I'll say is that when I moved to Denver 12 years ago I didn't realize just how strong the sun is here and I ended my first summer here looking like the dudes who do our yard work. I bet I get nearly as dark as you.
Nah. No chance. You ain’t blessed with THAT much melanin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I won't like it but that's his right...he's not harming me or anyone else, I'll look the other way.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! SMH

Old 07-31-2018, 10:43 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Agreed.

It was the flag of the Democrat party.
It's a battle flag it doesn't belong to any particular party, unless a person lives in Scotland. St. Andrews cross, is the main element of Scotland's national flag. But since the Democrat Party was brought up in association with the Confederacy, you made me look.

The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government
Quote:
"I desire no divided flag for the Democratic party.

"Our principles are national; they belong to every State of the Union; and, though elections may be lost by their assertion, they constitute the only foundation on which we can maintain power, on which we can again rise to the dignity the Democracy once possessed. Does not the Senator from Illinois see in the sectional character of the vote be received, that his opinions are not acceptable to every portion of the country? Is not the fact that the resolutions adopted by seventeen States, on which the greatest reliance must be placed for Democratic support, are in opposition to the dogma to which he still clings, a warning that, if he persists and succeeds in forcing his theory upon the Democratic party, its days are numbered? We ask only for the Constitution. We ask of the Democracy only from time to time to declare, as current exigencies may indicate, what the Constitution was intended to secure and provide. Our flag bears no new device. Upon its folds our principles are written in living light; all proclaiming the constitutional Union, justice, equality, and fraternity of our ocean-bound domain, for a limitless future." (author, Jefferson Davis)
The Confederacy a form of government in which all parties of the era were a part of ... Most interesting book
Quote:
He must have been a careless reader of our political history who has not observed that, whether under the style of "United Colonies" or "United States," which was adopted after the Declaration of Independence, whether under the articles of Confederation or the compact of Union, there everywhere appears the distinct assertion of State sovereignty, and nowhere the slightest suggestion of any purpose on the part of the States to consolidate themselves into one body.
Quote:
It is well known that, at the time of the adoption of the Federal Constitution, African servitude existed in all the States that were parties to that compact, unless with the single exception of Massachusetts, in which it had, perhaps, very recently ceased to exist. The slaves, however, were numerous in the Southern, and very few in the Northern, States. This diversity was occasioned by differences of climate, soil, and industrial interests—not in any degree by moral considerations, which at that period were not recognized, as an element in the question. It was simply because negro labor was more profitable in the South than in the North that the importation of negro slaves had been, and continued to be, chiefly directed to the Southern ports. For the same reason slavery was abolished by the States of the Northern section (though it existed in several of them for more than fifty years after the adoption of the Constitution), while the importation of slaves into the South continued to be carried on by Northern merchants and Northern ships, without interference in the traffic from any quarter, until it was prohibited by the spontaneous action of the Southern States themselves.
______

The Confederate Constitution outlawed the African slave trade, and the battle flag is just a flag. It only means what people want it to mean, just as it is with the swastika, a symbol in Hinduism which means "well-being".

The symbol(s) never changed ... the people did. Looking at a symbol and jumping to conclusions is like looking at a person and doing the same.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
The confederate flag represents the millions of people in the south who declared independence and did not want to be part of the northern states who had too much political control and prevented the south from having self determination. If you oppose the confederacy you also oppose the Declaration of Independence in 1776 and formation of the United States. Anytime you have to physically force a group of people to be part of your country they are basically your slaves. That’s why if a sizable portion of California wants to declare independence and secede, that is good. There is enough space and land for every group to self govern and make decisions for themselves. Liberals and conservatives would be a lot happier if we had a divorce and went our separate ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Well said, me too. This needs to be repped often.
I did rep it, for the whole post as it was very well articulated and spot on.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:10 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Theft and destruction of private property. Charges should be filed.
Along with trespassing. A few months in prison with Bubba as a roommate might make him understand the value of other's property.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Theft and destruction of private property. Charges should be filed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Along with trespassing. A few months in prison with Bubba as a roommate might make him understand the value of other's property.
No one is looking for the prankster, (the one who trespassed) and they are all to busy saluting the one that threw the flag in the garbage to care about the obvious. As is, no crime has been committed.

When people stop paying homage to that flag, then stuff like this will cease to exist. Until then ... more of the same on a different day.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:23 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
No one is looking for the prankster, (the one who trespassed) and they are all to busy saluting the one that threw the flag in the garbage to care about the obvious. As is, no crime has been committed.

When people stop paying homage to that flag, then stuff like this will cease to exist. Until then ... more of the same on a different day.
He's not a "prankster", he's a thief and trespasser. In other words a criminal. Some spoiled child hasn't learned to play with others and thinks he has a right to destroy other's property if they "offend" him.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:35 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
You're just salty that you had your entire argument used against you.

The average rez west of the Mississippi is worse than the worst Detroit ghetto. Try going to a rez and flying Old Glory; see how long it takes before you get your ass kicked.
Oh stop with the oppression Olympics already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies