Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2019, 07:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,355,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
https://www.newsweek.com/immigration...-based-1428267

What is going on with Build America Visa? What will they do to millions of people already waiting for Green Cards ?
From what I've read, every pending green card application would be thrown out and everyone who had a pending green card application would have to re-apply (if they even qualified under the new guidelines).

I'd personally be 100% OK with all of them being thrown out of line and having to re-apply, though I'm definitely not OK with allowing India and China to swamp our employment-based visa program by removing country quotas.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:02 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,046,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
From what I've read, every pending green card application would be thrown out and everyone who had a pending green card application would have to re-apply (if they even qualified under the new guidelines).

I'd personally be 100% OK with all of them being thrown out of line and having to re-apply, though I'm definitely not OK with allowing India and China to swamp our employment-based visa program by removing country quotas.
From what I read, they wont be thrown out per se, but those who are in green card line may get some extra points for having lived many years. But it may not matter at all.

Weird it may sound, but I wonder if these tariffs and immigration pressure are about foreign policy. China and India both trade with Iran and dont give a damn about sanctions.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:11 PM

932 posts, read 545,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
From what I read, they wont be thrown out per se, but those who are in green card line may get some extra points for having lived many years. But it may not matter at all.

Weird it may sound, but I wonder if these tariffs and immigration pressure are about foreign policy. China and India both trade with Iran and dont give a damn about sanctions.
Its better to wait rather than speculating.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:49 AM

1,094 posts, read 501,016 times
Quote:

That is a thought, I'd wondered something like this since Trump seems to be so obsessed about Iran to damage the rest of his presidency for some reason. But I doubt it, even with a change in the visa per country limit, the benefits to China and India's economy would be marginal from the proposed law, because it wouldn't boost up their remittance amounts by all that much. And with the improvement in both countries' economies, there's less incentive for their people to go abroad, and those who do go abroad tend be of lesser quality (with the good ones getting jobs at home), so again less in remittances. In return, if China and India were to go along with Trump ripping up the Iran nuclear deal and trying to isolate the economy, they'd suffer hundreds of billions of dollars in damage to their economies from loss of trade and loss of a critical oil source. (Their refineries are specialized to utilize Iranian oil, and there is absolutely no other source to meet their growing needs, which would lead to oil price spikes anyway). So there is simply no realistic incentive for China and India to drop Iran as an oil supplier and trade partner, and removing or weakening per-country visa limits would be very weak, provide little benefit and come nowhere close to making up the damage for losing Iran as a trade partner.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
That is a thought, I'd wondered something like this since Trump seems to be so obsessed about Iran to damage the rest of his presidency for some reason. But I doubt it, even with a change in the visa per country limit, the benefits to China and India's economy would be marginal from the proposed law, because it wouldn't boost up their remittance amounts by all that much. And with the improvement in both countries' economies, there's less incentive for their people to go abroad, and those who do go abroad tend be of lesser quality (with the good ones getting jobs at home), so again less in remittances. In return, if China and India were to go along with Trump ripping up the Iran nuclear deal and trying to isolate the economy, they'd suffer hundreds of billions of dollars in damage to their economies from loss of trade and loss of a critical oil source. (Their refineries are specialized to utilize Iranian oil, and there is absolutely no other source to meet their growing needs, which would lead to oil price spikes anyway). So there is simply no realistic incentive for China and India to drop Iran as an oil supplier and trade partner, and removing or weakening per-country visa limits would be very weak, provide little benefit and come nowhere close to making up the damage for losing Iran as a trade partner.
Electric battery and solar cell costs are decreasing YoY.
This leads to less and less dependence on oil over time.

With Modi to win again as PM for India the second time, he would push further for solar and electric cars.

In 4-5 years, Iran wouldn't matter much compared to today

Old 05-23-2019, 05:45 AM

...and Modi won

Old 05-24-2019, 09:57 AM

1,094 posts, read 501,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
...and Modi won

And by a landslide too. Have an acquaintance who works with the Feds who mentioned Trump might have been holding off on some of the H-1B restrictions, to avoid creating bad press for Narendra Modi so to help him get re-elected. (Modi's a huge populist like Trump and Trump has been supporting him). So now with Modi securely back in office, there's some speculation that Trump will feel free to go ahead with the tighter H-1B restrictions. We'll see.

Old 05-24-2019, 02:04 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,703,699 times
Modi government has agreed to stop taking supplies from Iran under American pressure.
This will cause financial damage to India as most of their Refineries are geared towards that Crude supply.
India has also decided not to levy retaliatory tariffs despite Trump administration putting them on India.
In return, H-1B spouses visa cancellation procedure was delayed I think until after the elections to prevent the bad press.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:39 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,046,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Modi government has agreed to stop taking supplies from Iran under American pressure.
This will cause financial damage to India as most of their Refineries are geared towards that Crude supply.
India has also decided not to levy retaliatory tariffs despite Trump administration putting them on India.
In return, H-1B spouses visa cancellation procedure was delayed I think until after the elections to prevent the bad press.
Now as Gocardinals said, the Jewish-Hindu axis is winning again by pressurizing Iran and pushing them to war.

One question to him though, why cant the Muslim world be united then??

But I think H1B may be very minor in Modis agenda and even be inconsequential since the Indian IT Companies make that money in offshore anyway.

Old 05-25-2019, 11:48 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,703,699 times
Quote:
Now as Gocardinals said, the Jewish-Hindu axis is winning again by pressurizing Iran and pushing them to war.

One question to him though, why cant the Muslim world be united then??

But I think H1B may be very minor in Modis agenda and even be inconsequential since the Indian IT Companies make that money in offshore anyway.
I dont think that India has ever pressurized Iran. India has always maintained good relations with Iran. Even present Modi government !! Not purchasing Oil amidst American pressure is a different thing because they do not want sanctions with a bigger trading partner.

When previous PM Manmohan Singh visited USA in 2009, he brought with him lots of Indian IT industry heads and NASSCOM lobbyists as a art of delegation. Many agreements were signed with President Obama and H-1B visas were secured.
Most Indian H-1B visa holders are however supporters of Modi. Modi has visited USA multiple times to give speeches for diaspora but there has been no discussions ever on H-1B or IT industry. Atleast we never heard about agreements signed or IT bigwigs being part of his delegation.

Lets see how this second term of Modi goes with Trump administration. One thing is that right now, both sides are free of Elections so something concrete can be achieved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies