Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2019, 01:49 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,219,072 times

Advertisements

[quote=Corascant;52683851]A question I wanted to pose especially to any posters currently working in programming, engineering, Web design or of other STEM fields, spin-off from another thread.. Some background. There's been a lot of media talk lately about how Trump was reforming and cracking down on chronic abuses of the H-1B visa, which is designed to bring in foreign skilled workers, esp. from India, to fill labor shortages only when Americans aren't available (or couldn't reasonably be trained), and crucial, at the same or higher salaries compared to Americans in the same job . Whereas, in reality, as shown in the notorious case of Disney trying to bring in low-salary H-1B's a couple years ago to lay off American workers, the H-1B has often in practice become simply a tool to bring in cheap labor by dangling a carrot to Indian workers willing to work long hours for low wages and no health insurance, in a desperate bid for a green card.

So whatever side of political aisle you're on, I think it's fair to say the H-1B visa desperately needs reform, ..."

If contractors doing the same job etc. must be "treated" the same as employees, what benefit will it be for Microsoft, Disney, any Fortune 500 company to bring in "outsourced" H1B1 contract workers?

Old 06-05-2019, 01:51 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,060,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
The above post is a good mixture of pessimism,fear,uncertainty,doubt,racism and guilt due to racism.

Immigration lead to power center in United states due to the best and brightest coming in from all over the world in search of opportunities.

Immigrants are usually risk takers whether they originate from United States or from any other country.

United states is founded by different immigrant groups....no wonder it became a successful nation.

The core of United States is immigration. It isn't doing any service to other nations by inviting immigrants.
In fact, other nations are severely impacted due to brain drain.
But on the brighter side, due to the best and brightest coming together, human race as a whole advanced far more quickly

The only way that United states can help itself is by inviting immigrants.

It also leads to creation of wealth.

The inherent racist in every human tends to associate all the not so positives on the outsiders.
The outsiders here are immigrants.

Once you gain control over yourself over that guy, the picture would be more clear.

Until then, any number of logical explanations would fall short.

People might actually listen to your arguments if you didn't immediately call them racists when nothing in the body of what the person you are quoting said even remotely resembles that claim.

Bringing in high level scientists helps the country and causes brain drain in home countries.

Bringing in low level IT workers and nurses only suppresses wages and limits job opportunities for citizens. Bringing in uneducated manual labor brings down wages and limits job opportunities for citizens as well.

Most of the immigrants are used to increase profits for those who already possess most of the wealth. It is then shrouded in feel good liberal sentiment with a healthy dose of "American's deserve it because their country was/is bad" on the far left, and a "shut up and deal with the new feudalism" from certain segments of the right and "libertarians".

Old 06-05-2019, 02:41 PM

932 posts, read 545,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
People might actually listen to your arguments if you didn't immediately call them racists when nothing in the body of what the person you are quoting said even remotely resembles that claim.

Bringing in high level scientists helps the country and causes brain drain in home countries.

Bringing in low level IT workers and nurses only suppresses wages and limits job opportunities for citizens. Bringing in uneducated manual labor brings down wages and limits job opportunities for citizens as well.

Most of the immigrants are used to increase profits for those who already possess most of the wealth. It is then shrouded in feel good liberal sentiment with a healthy dose of "American's deserve it because their country was/is bad" on the far left, and a "shut up and deal with the new feudalism" from certain segments of the right and "libertarians".
I speak with logic....which is difficult for many to understand.
I didn't call anyone racist, I was talking about the post. If you didn't see it, then you are acting with bias.

Every person(including me) is a racist whether he/she believes it or not.
Understanding this bias would lead to logical conclusions.

You are looking at the effect rather than the cause.

Firstly, the wage levels would have been lowered whether or not we bring in workers from outside or not.

I have explained it multiple times in this thread.

The salary you get depends less on skill and more on supply and demand...Economics 101
There was very limited supply of IT workers in the beginning and hence the salary levels were very high.

If we go back to the previous revolution which was the Industrial revolution, factory workers were paid very good salaries in the beginning.
Even though we didn't import factory workers, why did the salaries fall? Also, where did all the jobs go??

Did it happen because we brought in lot of Chinese workers to United States? Nope

Did manufacturing stop? Nope

Think about it......

Same thing with IT, there are lots of software engineers in developing country.
And the cost of shipping software is even lower than the cost of shipping goods.

Naturally, the wage levels would go down.

You can't ask 200K if there are people ready to do the same thing for 20K.

If you didn't get this point, stop reading and ignore me.

If you got it, the next step to remain competitive is reduce the cost of becoming a software engineer and immigration.

So
1) College Reform
2) Bring in people from outside

This way our people would be more competitive without college debt hanging over their head and more people would enter IT. And other countries won't be able to compete.

1) College reform is happening very very slowly. Noone talks about it here....which is very very sad.
This shows how many here are able to think outside of the box.
The cost of undergrad for IT(barring the top 10 colleges), should be less then 1000$ and should be done in 2 years.....so 500$ per year. Since we don't need traditional college infrastructure....all you need is youtube and then an exam center to write exams or demonstrate their project.

2) When people immigrate, they are usually risk takers and would be an advantage to America.
But here since their Green card process is in limbo, lot of H1s aren't able to demand higher salaries or setup companies. This is a severe drag on US economy. If you give them GC after their prime energetic years, its a terrible loss to the country.
It drives wages further down. This is why we need immigration reform.

Every reform would have people crying foul even though it is good for the country.

Instead of people helping each other, they are fighting amongst themselves like fools and companies are benefiting from it.

This is where people like you and BigDGeek come in and say that immigrants are lowering wages without knowing the entire story.

Fyi, if you are willing to put in some effort, you can still get more than 250k easy.....check out teamblind.com.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,340,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
This is where people like you and BigDGeek come in and say that immigrants are lowering wages without knowing the entire story.

No, I know the entire story....better than most. That's why you're always trying to discredit me.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:10 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Exactly. VERY well said.

"Best and brightest," huh? Sure. You guys are so awesome at what you do that your deployments fail almost 100% of the time. Your code almost always fails review and fails to conform to even the most basic standards. You can't take instruction and you cannot accept criticism in a mature, professional way. If this is the "best and brightest", y'all have some serious problems. H1Bs are far too easy to get.

As for racism...that's an old tired argument. I have south Asian friends who have invited me to their homes and I've been a guest in theirs. They're as sick of your "best and brightest" as I am. And they know that the "skills gap" argument is complete garbage. They want 90% of these H1Bs gone just as much as I do.
Was it lifeexplorer or vizion33r s home you went to??

Old 06-09-2019, 12:43 PM

22,509 posts, read 12,055,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Exactly. VERY well said.

"Best and brightest," huh? Sure. You guys are so awesome at what you do that your deployments fail almost 100% of the time. Your code almost always fails review and fails to conform to even the most basic standards. You can't take instruction and you cannot accept criticism in a mature, professional way. If this is the "best and brightest", y'all have some serious problems. H1Bs are far too easy to get.

As for racism...that's an old tired argument. I have south Asian friends who have invited me to their homes and I've been a guest in theirs. They're as sick of your "best and brightest" as I am. And they know that the "skills gap" argument is complete garbage. They want 90% of these H1Bs gone just as much as I do.
Exactly!

Why are these people so eager to cut and run when it comes to their own country? Besides, if they are such geniuses as the claim to be, then why aren't they back in India building up their own IT businesses?

Their sense of entitlement is astounding. They think we owe them jobs. We owe them nothing.

Once again, I remind them all---especially the ones who are seething because they haven't gotten a green card---Be careful! You just might get what you wish for! Once that green card comes, you, too, can easily get replaced by an H1-B.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:37 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Exactly!

Why are these people so eager to cut and run when it comes to their own country? Besides, if they are such geniuses as the claim to be, then why aren't they back in India building up their own IT businesses?

Their sense of entitlement is astounding. They think we owe them jobs. We owe them nothing.

Once again, I remind them all---especially the ones who are seething because they haven't gotten a green card---Be careful! You just might get what you wish for! Once that green card comes, you, too, can easily get replaced by an H1-B.
Corporations owes nothing to nobody.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:03 PM

22,509 posts, read 12,055,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Corporations owes nothing to nobody.
However, the US is not the employment agency for the entire world. Period.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,340,769 times
Quote:
Exactly!

I agree 100%. The ones who've been here a while and have their GC or even their US citizenship are almost as threatened by H1Bs as Americans are; the only thing they have going for them is a name like "Gupta" or "Singh" on their resumes.

Meanwhile, the FOBs strut around like they hit the lottery and immediately start making demands of their host country. A country they could be forced to leave at any moment. They start treating Americans like trash. I guess they forget that we built this country and the companies putting food on THEIR table. Ugh.

They all need to leave.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:52 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,602,775 times
Quote:
Exactly!

They have six years experience by then. They can work for anyone they want and their wages have presumably risen to a competitive wage for a senior technical employee by then.

The reality is that the outsourcing feeds into greater offshoring since the technical and management skills for US business is being imparted to employees who can form effective project teams in India to work on American contracts.

L-1 is actually the bigger problem since employers don't have to solicit applications from domestic workers and pay a competitive market wage.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/wh...1-visas-60252/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies