Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 01:20 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times

Advertisements

My how this whole Don Jr. story has changed/evolved over the past few months. Started out with such a huge lie and now the man has admitted it all by tweet. Simply amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 01:21 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
I'm not sure why getting evidence from a foreign country against an American citizen is illegal. In fact, I'm sure the Federal government does this all the time to build cases against American citizens whose criminal footprints span countries. I'm sure the Feds worked closely with several governments to get info on Manafort's overseas bank accounts and activities.
Then why was the meeting initially touted as having to do with adoptions? Why lie about it?

Old 08-05-2018, 01:22 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I disagree with your spin about 'less than honorable, yet legal'.

I would agree that opposition research is less than honorable, but it happens on every level of politics on all sides. So we can set that aside as a given.

You claim that what Trump's team has done with this meeting in Trump tower with Russians is legal. Uhhh no. They can't solicit help from foreign sources. If it was offered free, no strings attached it is an illegal campaign contribution. If there was any policy action whatsoever offered in return that is a Quid Pro Quo and tantamount to treason.
Hit the high points.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:23 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I believe that poster is referring to staged hunting for fun. Paying tons of money, having endangered or unique animals put into a captivity situation in which there is no way for them to get out of it, so you can hunt them down for the sole purpose of killing them and to pose with a dead cheetah or lion. Very different psychological behavior than your average Joe going out to hunt animals for food or to control the deer population. It's a sick psychology and seems to be a thing with the idle rich.
This had to be explained? I thought that most folks were aware of what canned trophy hunting is.

"Yippee...I got me a bona fide elephant tail dad and the poor sucker pachydermy never had a chance...Duh!"

Last edited by sickofnyc; 08-05-2018 at 01:40 PM..

Old 08-05-2018, 01:24 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Please point me to the relevant law. I'm pretty sure there is a lot of foreign money that goes into US elections.

It was to obtain information. How that information was obtained is not necessarily relevant unless the Trump administration was taking part in it.
But, but, but it was about adoptions!

Old 08-05-2018, 01:28 PM

The idea that while this may be shady, it is not illegal and that Republicans are no different than Democrats in this regard is wrong on both counts.

It most certainly is illegal and Trump knows it. Hence the insistence that he was not involved in any way, when we all know he was.

And Republicans are by far the more criminally corrupt party and have been for over 50 years.

89 convictions for those in Republican administrations. Iran/Contra co-conspirators pardoned, effectively shutting down that investigation plus a Republican President pardoned for "all crimes."

1 conviction for a Democrat. The Chief of Staff for the Secretary of Agriculture was convicted for not reporting a small consulting fee at a former consulting company.

Despite their never-ending conspiracy theories and constant investigations and hearings, Republicans have only been able to catch two people -- Bill Clinton lying about a blow job and a low level staffer who didn't report a small consulting fee.

89 to 1, Republicans are by far the more criminally corrupt party.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post

Seems somebody told them that the adoption business is about Magnitsky Act sanctions.

Furthermore, offering to trade assistance with the election for sanction relief is illegal.

Who knew?

So the adoption business was dropped.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 08-05-2018 at 02:19 PM..

Old 08-05-2018, 01:33 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The idea that while this may be shady, it is not illegal and that Republicans are no different than Democrats in this regard is wrong on both counts.

It most certainly is illegal and Trump knows it. Hence the insistence that he was not involved in any way, when we all know he was.

And Republicans are by far the more criminally corrupt party and have been for over 50 years.

89 convictions for those in Republican administrations. Iran/Contra co-conspirators pardoned, effectively shutting down that investigation plus a Republican President pardoned for "all crimes."

1 conviction for a Democrat. The Chief of Staff for the Secretary of Agriculture was convicted for not reporting a small consulting fee at a former consulting company.

Despite their never-ending conspiracy theories and constant investigations and hearings, Republicans have only been able to catch two people -- Bill Clinton lying about a blow job and a low level staffer who didn't report a small consulting fee.

89 to 1, Republicans are by far the more criminally corrupt party.
With very few exceptions, they have become an organized crime syndicate. They welcomed the self-serving grifter yoyo now squatting in The Oval Office because they needed his signature for those tax cuts and now they are salivating for even more. Trump tools may wake up a bit when the GOP comes for Medicare and Social Security to pay for those tax cuts.

Old 08-05-2018, 01:41 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Quote:
I'm calling the walk back now:

It's was an auto correct error. I meant to type adoptions not opponents.

Mr. President, adoptions starts with an "a" and opponents starts with an "o"

It does?

Old 08-05-2018, 01:43 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Quote:
Then why was the meeting initially touted as having to do with adoptions? Why lie about it?

If it's legal, why does Trump keep saying he didn't know about the meeting. He said that in today's tweet again. His tweet today tried to distance himself from the meeting. If it was legal he wouldn't be distancing himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies