Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Likely because the initial response was focused on the missing child and related child abuse and nothing else.

There was no suspicion of terrorism prior to their arrests. There may of been some suspicions of religious nuttery, but that isn't against the law in this country unless it results in child abuse.

Owning cell phones, ammo, etc. isn't illegal, is it?
And again, unless directly related to the initial search for the missing child and subsequent charges of child abuse, what reason would there have been for the police to look at them?

It sounds like that reporter has watched too many TV police procedurals where rules of law seem to have been made to be broken.

Social services agencies do not routinely search homes when they remove children for allegations of abuse nor do the accompanying LEOs, if they are involved.

If these people are now suspected of planning to commit terrorist acts, that has to be an entirely new and different investigation. New search warrants, new charges, new everything.
And given that the property owner has allowed reporters and who knows who else to traipse all over whatever evidence may in fact have been left behind, well, that "crime" scene hasn't been tainted now, has it?
Well, it seems the FBI was in fact watching the compound prior to the raid so yeah, they had some "concerns".
https://www.koat.com/article/target-...ation/22692429
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 01:22 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
it sounds to me, like when they first found the children, they thought it was a case of child abuse. But, the thing that should have triggered some doubt is the man reported his son missing last year, and the fact that he was involved in the 911 attacks?

then to find out the children were starving, and after finding out, they were training the children to shoot up schools?

I hope it is a case of having to bring up more charges on the others....
The man didn't report the child missing - his mother did. As per the following article, the man claimed that he was taking the child to the park and never returned with him.

These sorts of domestic kidnappings happen all the time so while they are given some attention by local authorities, they probably don't always get the level of attention as other crimes.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/rem...says/809644904

Old 08-16-2018, 05:22 AM

28,913 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
The man didn't report the child missing - his mother did. As per the following article, the man claimed that he was taking the child to the park and never returned with him.

These sorts of domestic kidnappings happen all the time so while they are given some attention by local authorities, they probably don't always get the level of attention as other crimes.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/rem...says/809644904
Thank you for this.....

Old 08-16-2018, 07:04 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well, it seems the FBI was in fact watching the compound prior to the raid so yeah, they had some "concerns".
https://www.koat.com/article/target-...ation/22692429
If there are grounds to charge them based on those “concerns” they will be charged.

In the meantime, no point berating the judge for ruling on the charges that were presented in her courtroom.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
If there are grounds to charge them based on those “concerns” they will be charged.

In the meantime, no point berating the judge for ruling on the charges that were presented in her courtroom.
Well I've thought about this, and have to say, I still tend to blame the judge, there was enough evidence here to hold these people for a very high bail...high enough so they couldn't get out....

But that's just me....seems like there are a lot of people upset with her....she doesn't deserve death threats, that's for certain and just wrong, but I'm not happy with what she has done, and last I heard, didn't the FBI step in?

Old 08-16-2018, 08:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:

I agree, the judge could only look at what the charges in front of her said. I was just commenting on the fact that so much (potential) evidence was left behind after their arrest...

Old 08-16-2018, 09:58 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Well I've thought about this, and have to say, I still tend to blame the judge, there was enough evidence here to hold these people for a very high bail...high enough so they couldn't get out....

But that's just me....seems like there are a lot of people upset with her....she doesn't deserve death threats, that's for certain and just wrong, but I'm not happy with what she has done, and last I heard, didn't the FBI step in?
Even though it sounds like the prosecutors sucked, the judge had the police reports. She had a lot of information at her fingertips. Now, maybe she knows other charges are coming out, I dunno. It sure looks like she misfired on this particular ruling. Folks are calling for her to step down and I don't blame them.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Even though it sounds like the prosecutors sucked, the judge had the police reports. She had a lot of information at her fingertips. Now, maybe she knows other charges are coming out, I dunno. It sure looks like she misfired on this particular ruling. Folks are calling for her to step down and I don't blame them.
Yes, I feel the same way, I was torn yesterday, but after reading some of the information out there...I'm sorry, she was wrong....you don't set people like that free.

If you ask me, they're all kinda sick, which is what Extremism is to me? Especially with the intent to not only harm people but to build an army of kids to do so....

Those kids are going to need to be helped and watched, God only knows how badly they were not only affected but brainwashed to believe?

Old 08-16-2018, 02:09 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,098,694 times
As of this morning, they are still being held:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/n...ns-still-held/

Any updates?

Last edited by AguaDulce; 08-16-2018 at 02:20 PM..

Old 08-16-2018, 02:19 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,098,694 times
Siraj Ibn Wahhaj will remain in jail. He has to answer to the pending warrant for his arrest issued in Georgia, which involves accusations that he abducted his son from the boy’s mother in December and fled to New Mexico.

Another defendant, Jany Leveille, who has been in the U.S. for more than 20 years after overstaying her non-immigrant visitor visa, was transferred to the custody of federal immigration authorities. The 35-year-old native of Haiti is the mother of six children taken into state custody during the compound raid.

Defendants Lucas Morton, Subhannah Wahhaj and Hujrah Wahhaj are still awaiting their conditional release.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies