Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2018, 02:39 PM

20,329 posts, read 9,213,375 times

Advertisements

National Anthem at sporting events has always been about patriotism and gratitude to those who served in the military. Many people would be offended by any group that would try to refocus why we stand and remove our hats. That's the real issue. The fact that it's being done by a bunch of young, rich, coddled athletes doesn't make it any better.

Find your own avenue to protest, leave the National Anthem alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 03:35 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,053,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Find your own avenue to protest, leave the National Anthem alone.
I hate to break this to you, but we are not attending a group sing along with a bonus football game afterwards. The protesting players do not interupt the game at all. The game. The reason the stadium is full of people. For that matter, even the anthem is not interupted. But you sure as heck would think so by the posts such as yours.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:04 PM

8,517 posts, read 3,785,478 times
If it was a bunch of tea party, Bundy ranch types nobody would have a problem with it.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:09 PM

2,262 posts, read 1,149,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
If it was a bunch of tea party, Bundy ranch types nobody would have a problem with it.
If it was a bunch of white country line dancers doing to two step waving signs reading "Deport Illegals" the crowd would be cheering over the anthem singer, and all the offended here would agree with it. This is when people would say "They have the right to do it".

I notice its the sme with white vs POC no matter what the situation.
In the automotive industry, you can see the comments on youtube for the most ridiculously modified cars, no matter how bad it looks, if the maker is white "hey man, I want it, good stuff". When its a crazy modified car made by POC "thats drug dealer money, waste of a good car" and so on and so on.

I even saw the comments on the audio of the nut job that stole the airplane for a joyride and crash, most of the comments were "hes my hero". I cringe to think what the comments would have been if the thief were a POC.

No matter what, it just seems that their prejudices are unfounded, they just seem to enjoy looking down on people that arent like them. We wont get better for another two generations at least.

Old 09-01-2018, 05:32 AM

8,517 posts, read 3,785,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
If it was a bunch of white country line dancers doing to two step waving signs reading "Deport Illegals" the crowd would be cheering over the anthem singer, and all the offended here would agree with it. This is when people would say "They have the right to do it".

I notice its the sme with white vs POC no matter what the situation.
In the automotive industry, you can see the comments on youtube for the most ridiculously modified cars, no matter how bad it looks, if the maker is white "hey man, I want it, good stuff". When its a crazy modified car made by POC "thats drug dealer money, waste of a good car" and so on and so on.

I even saw the comments on the audio of the nut job that stole the airplane for a joyride and crash, most of the comments were "hes my hero". I cringe to think what the comments would have been if the thief were a POC.

No matter what, it just seems that their prejudices are unfounded, they just seem to enjoy looking down on people that arent like them. We wont get better for another two generations at least.
My fav is how people worship law enforcement UNLESS they happen to be arresting some right winger they like. They can do all kinds of horrible things to POC and people will say "they deserved it". God forbid the police come to arrest "gently" a right wing person for obvious crimes. Then it's "law enforcement are a bunch of Jack booted thugs".... Wow.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:24 AM

59,574 posts, read 27,700,193 times
Quote:
My fav is how people worship law enforcement UNLESS they happen to be arresting some right winger they like. They can do all kinds of horrible things to POC and people will say "they deserved it". God forbid the police come to arrest "gently" a right wing person for obvious crimes. Then it's "law enforcement are a bunch of Jack booted thugs".... Wow.
"My fav is how people worship law enforcement UNLESS"

I think you have a warped sense of reality.

I don't know ANYBODY who "worships law enforcement".

Respects, yes, worship, NO.

Wide, "one size fits all" claims are not only childish but, useless if you want to have HONEST ADULT discussions on subjects.

The is an arrest every 2.5 SECONDS, I read recently.

How many interactions with the police do you think occur daily in the U.S?

Out of those MILLIONS of interactions, how many fit YOUR "opinion" of the police?

I THINK, many who constantly deride the police have been stopped, were rude, un co-operative and gave the police a hard time and got treated like they should.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:31 AM

2,262 posts, read 1,149,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

I THINK, many who constantly deride the police have been stopped, were rude, un co-operative and gave the police a hard time and got treated like they should.
The worship is opinions like this, that occur when people think the police never do anything wrong, and automatically believe, in this day and age when there is consistent proof otherwise, that the person being arrested actually did something wrong without knowing the facts.
They also mistakenly believe that people that speak out against law enforcement are already criminals.
They also enjoy seeing police abuse citizens.
That is worship by selective ignorance. And its all over this forum.
They are also the same people that quickly turn against law enforcement when it happens to them.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:40 AM

5,480 posts, read 2,140,737 times
Quote:
I seem to recall the hubbub about a particular player taking a knee and praying...

Old 09-01-2018, 09:44 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,729,208 times
Being truly patriotic has never been the popular thing to do, it generally takes a long time for someone to go from 'criminal/troublemaker' to patriot/ hero.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:46 AM

11,403 posts, read 16,819,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I don't need to read or understand anything. I'm perfectly clear on the subject. I don't know a single person that is allowed to protest on the job period. End of story.
Says it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies