Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 11:03 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times

Advertisements

No doubt this is an issue that also seriously divides America, with Trump in the mix in typical embarrassing fashion, and no doubt there have been more than a few prior threads about this as a result, but rather than let this get buried in one of those many prior threads, I think Kareem's recent insights about all this sports protest business are particularly worthy of consideration...

"Sports is one of the few areas in which Americans of all races can talk to each other. Right now, it may be the country’s best hope for meaningful dialogue"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ter-in-america

If only Trump and more Americans would/could consider what they are so badly missing. Purposely or unwittingly, I'm really not sure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 11:05 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,452,130 times
I don't need to read or understand anything. I'm perfectly clear on the subject. I don't know a single person that is allowed to protest on the job period. End of story.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:08 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I don't need to read or understand anything. I'm perfectly clear on the subject. I don't know a single person that is allowed to protest on the job period. End of story.
And I don't know of any job, other than sports, where you are forced to stand for the pledge every time you start work.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:11 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And I don't know of any job, other than sports, where you are forced to stand for the pledge every time you start work.
Private business, they can do as they wish. If a player doesn't like it, nobody is forcing them to play. There are other professional football leagues, they just don't pay as much.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:12 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,277,048 times
you can't insult the flag and national anthem that I and millions of Americans love and then ask for a dialog. That's ignorant.

that's like insulting a woman and then pretending that she would go out with you and talk.

that's like insulting the Black race in something they hold dear and pretend we can later have a conversation?.................. and who are you kidding? I seen this "debate" before and ends, if people don't view their views on things then all of the sudden we are racists and don't care for X group of people.

so save the BS on trying to have a dialog......I don't go to sport games to have a dialog about my politics or your politics and the least the politics of over-paid athletes telling me how I should feel and think and react.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:15 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,757,118 times
What the players and the league and the SJW's who support them need to understand is that the fans are under no obligation to watch their product. It doesn't matter how they justify their protests, if the fans decide they don't want to see it, they won't see it.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:16 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
The NFL players caused the division so lets get that straight. Its on them !!!

We are not missing that point !!!

Old 08-28-2018, 11:16 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,981,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post

My job has a dress code. Other jobs don't. Does that mean that having a dress code cannot be enforced? NOOO... if I showed up to work in a tshirt with a burning flag on it I would be asked to change. If I refused, I would be fired. Even if I claimed I was protesting. End of story. This is not a political issue. Yes, the President speaking on it politized it to a certain degree but it is not political. A private employer has the right to make company policy. The employee has the right to quit if they don't like it.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:17 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,784,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Then why don't the owners just fire them?

Old 08-28-2018, 11:21 AM

3,332 posts, read 1,965,464 times
But these kneeling jack asses aren’t saying anything. They’re just acting silly. If they truly want to have an effect they should go out into their own communities and put their money where their mouth is. Or maybe they should put their money where their knee is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies