Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 11:23 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No doubt this is an issue that also seriously divides America, with Trump in the mix in typical embarrassing fashion, and no doubt there have been more than a few prior threads about this as a result, but rather than let this get buried in one of those many prior threads, I think Kareem's recent insights about all this sports protest business are particularly worthy of consideration...

"Sports is one of the few areas in which Americans of all races can talk to each other. Right now, it may be the country’s best hope for meaningful dialogue"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ter-in-america

If only Trump and more Americans would/could consider what they are so badly missing. Purposely or unwittingly, I'm really not sure...
Trump is purposely using this issue, a race issue, to divide the country. It is what he does best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 11:24 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Trump is purposely using this issue, a race issue, to divide the country. It is what he does best.

Agreed.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:34 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
because KAP is ignorant....the facts doesn't back up his claims and then he praises Fidel Castro, a known dictator murderer and bashes our country? That doesn't help his cause.

There are approx 2,000 police shootings a year in the USA against all races and ethnicities in a population of 360,000,000 legal citizens not including undocumented people. That is 0.000006% of the population shot justly or unjustly by police. This issue has really been blown out of proportion. Yea there are bad cops out there but this issue has been used for political reasons and ignorant people that just hates the U.S.A.

freedom of speech is a 2 way street, you can say what you like and we can reject what you have to say and NFL owners can cut loose toxic players that are bad for the business.......life will go on, the sun will rise in the morning and the earth will keep rotating around the sun........move on!
With all due respect, read the article. Confirm you have read what Kareem explains, and then get back to me or don't bother. Up to you, but no point going on if we're not "on the same page."

Old 08-29-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I don't watch sports to be lectured about Politics or Civil Rights. If they start that, that's when the TV goes off.

Apparently I'm not alone.
Wasn't a "lecture" and countless things go on before the game, during half-time and after that you are not aware about or need be aware about. If people want to watch the game, like you and me, nothing that happens before the game keeps us from doing so!

If, on the other hand, your focus IS on the pre-game show and your underwear gets all in a twist if what you are watching isn't just as you want or expect, then yes of course. Turn the channel! Tune into Fox News and have them and Trump lecture you about politics and civil rights (or lack thereof)!

Whatever you choose to do of course! This too is not the issue...

Old 08-29-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
That's a fact -- try it and you are likely to get fired, unless you have a powerful Union backing your up and possibly even then.

This is what I think is a HOOT! Where do these Leftists get these weird ideas?

"Sports is one of the few areas in which Americans of all races can talk to each other. Right now, it may be the country’s best hope for meaningful dialogue"

"few areas" -- I talk to "all races" several times a week. Pretty much anytime I'm out of my house. My neighbor on my North side is Black, he and I talk to each other all the time. I go to sporting events, school events, the grocery store, Walmart, Target and civic meetings -- I "dialogue" with Hispanics, Blacks, Arabs, Asians in all these venues.

Leftists are out of touch with Normal People in the USA.
Who is "out of touch?"

Can it be you are not aware of the "great divide" in America, pretty well represented by so many comments in these threads, widely reported, a fairly general concern these days?

Kareem wasn't talking about you and your neighborhood experience. Kareem is a national figure talking about politics in general, in this country, in particular with respect to race relations. If you can read what he wrote and only pick up on the little you seem to focus upon, then with all due respect to your friends of color, I think you are the one "out of touch."

Old 08-29-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The NFL's demise isn't the fault of Trump nor the Fans.
Not sure who made that claim, but also not the point of the article, or mine...

BTW, I'm not sure what you mean exactly, by the NFL's "demise." Someone thinks otherwise anyway, since they were willing to pay some $2.275 billion for the Carolina Panthers just earlier this month. I don't think that was a short-term investment, but maybe about this too I'm wrong.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:47 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
What the players and the league and the SJW's who support them need to understand is that the fans are under no obligation to watch their product. It doesn't matter how they justify their protests, if the fans decide they don't want to see it, they won't see it.
In addition, protesting the flag by taking a knee while on the job is the not best time or place to that. Do it when you are not at work.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:49 AM

31,088 posts, read 22,107,744 times
The main take away from the whole Kaepernick story is, Kaepernick did a pis poor job of selling sympathy to the masses for his cause.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Who sits around and talks about professional sports? Who sits around and relishes in the thought about cheering on millionaire ball dribblers? No one! We got life to live and things to do. i don't sit around and worship millionaire jock straps nor do I care about their opinions.
Stiffnecked... (love it)!

If you are not a sports fan, then really, never mind about the sports then!

I am a sports fan, ever since I was old enough to dribble, and although I'm not one to talk about sports, I am one to talk about politics. This thread and the article are more about politics, more than sports, if you might think about it after you get past your particular perspective about "millionaire ball dribblers."

I've also got a life BTW. One I consider rich in many ways. I'm a lucky person in too many ways to count! I've been busy with a demanding career and raising a family, and I've always enjoyed entertainment along the way; sports, movies, music. Never have I sat around and "worshipped millionaire jock straps" however.

How about a little balance? Possible? Have mercy...

Old 08-29-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Obviously Kareem feels the black population in general has never been able to progress like other races.
This is true, but one has to ask why is this?
For way to many years , blacks have always felt the white population owes them something because of what happened to their ancestors hundreds of years ago.
That same attitude persist today.

The fact of the matter is, blacks rely on outside forces to do things for them, when in fact they should be doing these things on their own, if they want a better life.
They complain they do not have the same opportunities as whites, an other races.
If that is the case, then do something to create change.
Sitting around pissin and moaning about things, is not going to change anything.

Their biggest mistake is PROTEST.
That solves nothing, and waste time.

They should be out talking to elected officials in a dignified matter, as opposed to marching in the streets like a bunch of hoodlums.
They have serious issues?
Discuss them in a serious way.
Let them spell it out to those with the power and resources to do something.

Now, about this kneeling when the national anthem is being played.

I think it is the most disgraceful , and disrespectful thing any American can do.
My words to those involved in this blatant disrespect for the country would be, "If you don't like the idea of showing respect for the country, then get the hell out.

The country isn't perfect, but I would take it over any other place on earth.
These low life kneelers should all be fired the minute they bend to kneel when ever the anthem is played.
They deserve nothing but a one way ticket out of this country.
Oh, and they can take Kareem with them.

Bob.
Too much written here that is in serious need of attention and correction, but too little time left for me to waste here today. Maybe tomorrow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies