Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2018, 09:48 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,760,601 times

Advertisements

Don't watch or go to games if you have a problem with it. Isn't that what you tell us when we are offended? If you are offended don't participate. I am offended by Faux News . I don't watch. EVER. Simple. Do I say they should all be fired and flogged or whatever? No. I just don't watch it or support it. If you flag waving patriotic Uber Patriots feel that strongly about it don't watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 09:52 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Vietnam combat vet here. I agree that the players have a right to “enact” any damn fool thing they want. Now you have to give the rest of us the right to call them ignorant hypocritical jackasses who make a fortune smashing each other senseless and assuming that that gives them the right to lecture us on social justice.

We’re not insulting anything. We just hold a different opinion than you. Attack us viciously and we’ll hit back — which is OUR right.

Got it?
Yes. Even hate speech is protected in this country, but also we all have something of an obligation to judge right from wrong, distinguish facts from nonsense, and to call out bad thinking, wrong thinking, dangerous thinking as appropriate. Some think it even an obligation!

So yes, the white supremacist might make the same argument as you do, the football player and the vet too, but who is the ignorant hypocritical jackass all considered, more or less than the others using their freedom too? This is the question.

What you explain about what gives a football player any such right "to lecture" is jackass reasoning far as I'm concerned. Just my opinion of course...

Old 08-30-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Capitalism always wants more. For the same reason why games are being played in London multiple times a year. Goodell and the owners want every last dollar they can get. But the sport is healthier than any other televised product out there.
People like Rogers aren't going to play for peanuts after all!

Aaron Rodgers set for $57.5m signing bonus to become NFL's best-paid player

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ecord-contract

Old 08-30-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The right to peaceful protest, and out right, blatant disrespect for one of the strongest symbols of this country, are two entirely different issues.
I believe peaceful protest can be accomplished without showing any disrespect.
The NFL has not learned that lesson yet.

Mr.King accomplished his protest without disrespecting anyone, and change was the result(the civil right's act of 1964).

Bob.
Thank you!

Perfect example of the same sort of thinking, very different about the same sort of thing!

Today we all respect and honor what MLK was trying to do, most of us anyway, before he was assassinated by James Earl Ray, but even then there were the same sort of people, the same sort of thinking, that considered MLK nothing short of seditious!

"King’s “I Have a Dream†speech at the March on Washington is sure to be celebrated and replayed across the U.S. In today’s popular imagination, the March on Washington stands as one of the most American events of the 20th century—the power of U.S. democracy made real in the quarter of a million people who gathered on the National Mall and the majesty of King’s speech that August day.

At the time, however, that was not the case. In 1963, most Americans disapproved of the event, many congressmen saw it as potentially seditious, and law enforcement from local police to the FBI monitored it intensively (under code name Operation Steep Hill). Indeed, it was after King’s speech at the March on Washington that the FBI—with President Kennedy’s approval—decided to increase their monitoring of the civil rights leader. With the FBI describing King as “demagogic†and “the most dangerous . . . to the Nation . . . from the standpoint . . . of national security,†Attorney General Robert Kennedy signed off on intrusive surveillance of his living quarters, offices, phones and hotel rooms, as well as those of his associates."

Martin Luther King Jr Day: What We Get Wrong About His Story | Time

Some people just never learn...

Old 08-30-2018, 10:06 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
bull.

and sports by the design of the left is becoming of, by and for the left.

I have never needed a football player. I have had to lean on a first responder or two.

That isn't an argument. As a vet that served in one of Americas war, what these guys need to know is they need me vastly more than I need them. They aren't engendering any affection when they spend their time insulting me.

PS Donald Trump isn't the one dividing America. That is asinine. The ones dividing America are the ones spitting on those of us who have written a blank check to this country, for the protection of people we will never meet. Donald Trump never did that. He just called it like it is and that upset the crybaby fruitloops out there being dirtbags.
To this I say bull. While I don't agree with sitting during the anthem (which fans did for years and nobody batted an eye to LONG BEFORE players sat or even keeled during it) they have that RIGHT to do it. If the owner wants to suspend, fire or not resign a player for it, I might not fully agree to it (and honestly for Kaepernick it was just the straw that broke the camel's back because he was an OK system QB who chose to get an "elective" surgery during-the season when he got benched (which was the season before he knelt), but that is the owner's choice. Unlike hiring an alleged wife beater, there isn't and shouldn't be an outcry if a team dumps someone with differing views.

That said, the team and league has no right what so ever to force players into forced patriotism. Especially when the league and players have a collective bargaining agreement stating that the players have to be in on a rule change.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
You don’t get it. They are not kneeling to be rebels, they are simply saying “Why would I put my hand over my heart and sing praises to a nation that is killing and profiting of the imprisonment of men and women that look like me daily?†They simply do not feel solidarity with the nation and when people react as you do it just proves the point.
Well put, or maybe not even that...

If I felt the laws, law enforcement practice in general, was killing people like me, my friends, my family, why would I not take the opportunity to draw attention to the problem? Doesn't mean I don't praise the nation. Means I am asking the nation to please take a closer look at a serious problem I need the nation to help me with! What's so "disrespectful" about that?

Bundy protests the government with his armed band of followers, and he's considered a hero by all the alt-right anti-guboment folks. Few football players take a knee and the same folks grab a rope and start looking for the highest tree!

Old 08-30-2018, 10:20 AM

2,260 posts, read 1,139,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
To this I say bull. While I don't agree with sitting during the anthem (which fans did for years and nobody batted an eye to LONG BEFORE players sat or even keeled during it)
Well of course, people want to force the players to stand for the anthem, but they want to be free to sit themselves while they are at home or at the stadium. You will NEVER (and I havent seen it so far on this board) see any threads on forcing spectators to stop and stand for the anthem. They want freedom to go and get their hot dogs.

Its phony outrage because no form of protest is good enough. Although IMO protesting isnt the answer, people need to go to their city halls.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Do you know why most people turn on the football game? It's so that they can forget about real life stress for a while. In today's political climate, a lot of that stress they're trying to forget has to do with politics. Turning the NFL into just another political soapbox is a quick way to irritate a whole lot of people who just want to watch a game.

Side note: people making $3 million plus to chase an inflated pigskin kneeling to protest injustice is farcical. Mel Brooks could turn that plot line into a great comedy.
Thank you. I am SO VERY SYMPATHETIC about the stress people experience in real life, who just want to relax and watch the game. That guy on bended knee is just too much stress for me to handle...

Never mind the sort of "stress" these players taking a knee are drawing attention too, before they begin their efforts to entertain you in the comfort of your own home. Can I have another one of those beers?

Old 08-30-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And yet they say the left is P.C... Forced patriotism isn't patriotism, it's fascism.
Exactly!

Might want to sign off here, inspired by the fact there are Americans out there not so inclined toward the likes!

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2018, 10:27 AM

13,967 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Here's what the kneeling NFL players and their apologists need to understand - the NFL is an entertainment business. It makes 100% of its revenue either directly or indirectly from the audience. The audience is under no legal, contractual, constitutional or even tyrannical obligation to give their patronage to that particular business.

Over the last two seasons, television ratings, ad revenue and merchandise sales for that business are all down. All of these measures relate directly to the interest of the audience. The audience has begun speaking, and their message is that right, wrong or indifferent, a growing number of them simply do not care, do not want their sports entertainment politicized and will be increasingly tuning out the NFL and its products.

There's exactly nothing the NFL collective bargaining agreement, a written scold by former NBA star, or the admonition of the Social Justice left can do to make people watch something they don' feel like watching. Either the NFL entertains those who seek it out for entertainment, or the audience tunes out.

That's the point. That's the end of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies