Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2018, 10:29 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I would just like to take this time to remind everyone that hockey has none of this crap.
White folks don't have the same sort of issues black folks are having to contend with in America. What's next? None of this crap while watching the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am either?

Last edited by LearnMe; 08-30-2018 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 10:30 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
you can't insult the flag and national anthem that I and millions of Americans love and then ask for a dialog. That's ignorant.

that's like insulting a woman and then pretending that she would go out with you and talk.

that's like insulting the Black race in something they hold dear and pretend we can later have a conversation?.................. and who are you kidding? I seen this "debate" before and ends, if people don't view their views on things then all of the sudden we are racists and don't care for X group of people.

so save the BS on trying to have a dialog......I don't go to sport games to have a dialog about my politics or your politics and the least the politics of over-paid athletes telling me how I should feel and think and react.
The only thing any of us control is our own reaction.

I choose not to be offended and respect the POV of those who choose to kneel.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:34 AM

13,973 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
White folks don't have same sort of issues black folks are having to contend with in America. What's next? None of this crap while watching the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am either?
Sports fan "folks" don't want a lecture on the issues facing anyone, anywhere when they tune in for their daily/weekly/etc dose of escapism.

And the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro Am, including the sit down interviews done with celebrities after they tee off at 17, is about as light hearted, non-politicized, we_all_really_do_get_along as any pro sports entertainment event gets. FFS, even Hoodie smiles, jokes and laughs at the Pebble Beach Pro Am.

THAT'S WHY IT GETS GOOD RATINGS. It's fun. The National Woke League and all the political crap about which race has which concerns and whose concerns are more or less valid ISN'T FUN. It isn't entertaining. It's annoying.

Someday, maybe...you'll understand the simple point of entertainment and why entertaining, not scolding/berating the audience, matters.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Well of course, people want to force the players to stand for the anthem, but they want to be free to sit themselves while they are at home or at the stadium. You will NEVER (and I havent seen it so far on this board) see any threads on forcing spectators to stop and stand for the anthem. They want freedom to go and get their hot dogs.

Its phony outrage because no form of protest is good enough. Although IMO protesting isnt the answer, people need to go to their city halls.
Better stop right there! Get in the way of our hot dogs and there's going to be REAL trouble!

Old 08-30-2018, 10:36 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,557,325 times
Quote:
No doubt this is an issue that also seriously divides America, with Trump in the mix in typical embarrassing fashion, and no doubt there have been more than a few prior threads about this as a result, but rather than let this get buried in one of those many prior threads, I think Kareem's recent insights about all this sports protest business are particularly worthy of consideration...

"Sports is one of the few areas in which Americans of all races can talk to each other. Right now, it may be the country’s best hope for meaningful dialogue"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ter-in-america

If only Trump and more Americans would/could consider what they are so badly missing. Purposely or unwittingly, I'm really not sure...
The grossly-unsightly optics of filthy-mop hair hanging out of helmets, and gross sleeve tats long ago drove me from wanting to actually watch a game

If the NFL institutes some grooming standards, and a requirement that all tats be covered up, I'll reconsider, but until that happens (if ever), radio will have to be good enough. NFL.com has a feature that presents a virtual field and moves the ball play-by-play without the nauseating optics.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:39 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
The grossly-unsightly optics of filthy-mop hair hanging out of helmets, and gross sleeve tats long ago drove me from wanting to actually watch a game

If the NFL institutes some grooming standards, and a requirement that all tats be covered up, I'll reconsider, but until that happens (if ever), radio will have to be good enough. NFL.com has a feature that presents a virtual field and moves the ball play-by-play without the nauseating optics.
...and them damn, long-haired hippie weirdos too!

Old 08-30-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Here's what the kneeling NFL players and their apologists need to understand - the NFL is an entertainment business. It makes 100% of its revenue either directly or indirectly from the audience. The audience is under no legal, contractual, constitutional or even tyrannical obligation to give their patronage to that particular business.

Over the last two seasons, television ratings, ad revenue and merchandise sales for that business are all down. All of these measures relate directly to the interest of the audience. The audience has begun speaking, and their message is that right, wrong or indifferent, a growing number of them simply do not care, do not want their sports entertainment politicized and will be increasingly tuning out the NFL and its products.

There's exactly nothing the NFL collective bargaining agreement, a written scold by former NBA star, or the admonition of the Social Justice left can do to make people watch something they don' feel like watching. Either the NFL entertains those who seek it out for entertainment, or the audience tunes out.

That's the point. That's the end of the story.
Or the NFL respect the player's rights to express themselves in such ways before the start of the game and those who don't mind continue watching. Those who want to switch the channel and get another dose of Fox News instead, go ahead.

Maybe doing what makes the absolute most money is not always the best policy all considered. Again the issue of player injuries, concussions, comes to mind.

"End of the story" and games perhaps for you. Not for me...

Old 08-30-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Sports fan "folks" don't want a lecture on the issues facing anyone, anywhere when they tune in for their daily/weekly/etc dose of escapism.

And the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro Am, including the sit down interviews done with celebrities after they tee off at 17, is about as light hearted, non-politicized, we_all_really_do_get_along as any pro sports entertainment event gets. FFS, even Hoodie smiles, jokes and laughs at the Pebble Beach Pro Am.

THAT'S WHY IT GETS GOOD RATINGS. It's fun. The National Woke League and all the political crap about which race has which concerns and whose concerns are more or less valid ISN'T FUN. It isn't entertaining. It's annoying.

Someday, maybe...you'll understand the simple point of entertainment and why entertaining, not scolding/berating the audience, matters.
I wonder if the players taking a knee to bring attention to the problem they wish to bring attention to really thought hard about what you want to tune into, or tune out. I doubt it...

Listen. There are people who get all in a twist about such things, can't possibly enjoy a football game because a player took a knee before kick off. Can't watch the Academy Awards show, because some actor might say something of political nature, can't watch a movie that isn't all fun loving and feel good. Fine! Free country of course. Stick with what makes you feel good. I get that!

I just don't have those sorts of issues, hang-ups, and I don't really want my entertainment, news or world white-washed for me. Fair?

I enjoy Disneyland too, when I decide that's the entertainment I want, "the happiest place on Earth," sure, but I don't live there, and I don't want to!

NOT SCOLDING OR BERATING THE AUDIENCE! Maybe someday YOU will understand this simple fact, but given your comments I seriously doubt it...

Old 08-30-2018, 10:52 AM

13,973 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Quote:
Or the NFL respect the player's rights to express themselves in such ways before the start of the game and those who don't mind continue watching. Those who want to switch the channel and get another dose of Fox News instead, go ahead.

Maybe doing what makes the absolute most money is not always the best policy all considered. Again the issue of player injuries, concussions, comes to mind...
The purpose of business is to create, sustain and grow profits for the owners of that business. Period. That's a basic, fundamental economic principle. Even non-profits have to make profit, they just have to put the profit back into the business instead of paying it out to shareholders/owners. No profit means eventual death of the business. Period, the end.

The NFL is an entertainment business. It makes its profits by entertaining the audience with the sport of American football, not with social justice, political advocacy or lobbying. Its revenue and profit depend entirely on whether or not people want to watch/patronize the sport of American football as entertainment.

If the business, for whatever reason, gives the audience reasons NOT to tune in, they hurt their revenue, which in turn hurts the profit. Hurt profit long enough, the business dis. It ceases to exist. Thus, the NFL as a business will do that which is in the interests of the business, not society, not political advocacy according to one ideological bent, and not according to the scolds of a small fraction of the employees and their apologists.

And maybe there is an audience that wants racial politics and cultural scolding with their football. Maybe that audience is even bigger than the audience that just wants to watch football. It's the NFL's business. I will make my choice based on what entertains me, not what the culture thinks I owe them.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post

So you were a Dennis Rodman fan then?

Here too, again, we've all got our preferences and inclinations when it comes to such things, but this too is a non-issue for me. What an athlete looks like makes no difference to me. I watch sports because I enjoy watching athletes with the kind of talent that makes them competitors at the highest levels.

Same as skin color. Able to do the job as well or better than anyone else? Hired, regardless how you look might offend some folks, regardless the fact you look different from me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies