Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 12:12 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Trump is purposely using this issue, a race issue, to divide the country. It is what he does best.
Nonsense, unless you are saying that

Blacks don't respect the flag, the USA and our veterans.

That would be racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 12:54 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
One comment I wish to make in reference to Trump and his "core" supporters.

Back in May the owners came up with a new policy saying that players could remain off the field during the Anthem, but must stand if on the field. At the time Trump was not crazy about the "staying in the locker-room" part but said he was glad they came up with something. His core supporters claimed "Trump won".

Now about a month ago Trump said that staying in the locker-room is as bad as kneeling. That being said if the players assoc and owners come in agreement with that policy, will Trump and many of his core supporters continue to blast those that remain off the field during the Anthem?
They move the goal posts towards forced patriotism. What is this a dictatorship, I thought this was America where we show patriotism in our own ways.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:18 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
But these kneeling jack asses aren’t saying anything. They’re just acting silly. If they truly want to have an effect they should go out into their own communities and put their money where their mouth is. Or maybe they should put their money where their knee is.

If you knew anything about the players, you'd know that they do.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Right, so a unionized private business, same as people with "real" jobs.

By definition, all jobs are real. Your opinion about certain jobs is irrelevant.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
"Meaningful dialogue" and freedom to protest are all well and good, but still not at "work" sorry thats not being closed minded its just reality and its how you keep a happy healthy work place. If I owned a business, all politics and protests would be a no-go during official business.

"No, no...they can protest as long as that protest don't make too big a splash, or interrupt anything, or you know, make me think about anything...that's totally fine. But now, the minute they start garnering attention and getting their voices heard, and making impactful public statements, that's where I draw the line."

Old 08-29-2018, 01:38 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
The great thing is their collective bargaining agreement doesn't stop me from changing the channel.
And the great thing about you changing the channel is that it doesn't make the rest of us miss out on football. Football is doing fine - - if you're fine without it, bully to you.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:40 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I don't watch sports to be lectured about Politics or Civil Rights. If they start that, that's when the TV goes off.

Apparently I'm not alone.
Kneeling or taking a knee is a lecture?

You're not alone - - and you're not missed. Can't wait for kickoff.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:59 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
And the great thing about you changing the channel is that it doesn't make the rest of us miss out on football. Football is doing fine - - if you're fine without it, bully to you.
If football is doing fine then what's the problem? Why the need for players to explain themselves? Why the need to "read and understand"? Why the need for the league to try to look like it is doing something about it? They should just tell us to pizz off if we don't like it. I know I'm happy to.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:07 PM

662 posts, read 313,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
They move the goal posts towards forced patriotism.
Patriotism has turned into right wing PC talk. You must be patriotic in the way they approve.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:07 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No doubt this is an issue that also seriously divides America, with Trump in the mix in typical embarrassing fashion, and no doubt there have been more than a few prior threads about this as a result, but rather than let this get buried in one of those many prior threads, I think Kareem's recent insights about all this sports protest business are particularly worthy of consideration...

"Sports is one of the few areas in which Americans of all races can talk to each other. Right now, it may be the country’s best hope for meaningful dialogue"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ter-in-america

If only Trump and more Americans would/could consider what they are so badly missing. Purposely or unwittingly, I'm really not sure...
bull.

and sports by the design of the left is becoming of, by and for the left.

I have never needed a football player. I have had to lean on a first responder or two.

That isn't an argument. As a vet that served in one of Americas war, what these guys need to know is they need me vastly more than I need them. They aren't engendering any affection when they spend their time insulting me.

PS Donald Trump isn't the one dividing America. That is asinine. The ones dividing America are the ones spitting on those of us who have written a blank check to this country, for the protection of people we will never meet. Donald Trump never did that. He just called it like it is and that upset the crybaby fruitloops out there being dirtbags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies