Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 08:51 PM

241 posts, read 143,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
The right to peaceful protest, and out right, blatant disrespect for one of the strongest symbols of this country, are two entirely different issues.
I believe peaceful protest can be accomplished without showing any disrespect.
The NFL has not learned that lesson yet.

Mr.King accomplished his protest without disrespecting anyone, and change was the result(the civil right's act of 1964).

Bob.
It’s Dr. King first and foremost and secondly he offended many people and was hated viciously by “middle” America. You’re speaking a revisionist and sanitized version of history which is incorrect and disingenuous. Lastly, you spoke about the Black community wanting things handed to them, that’s incorrect. What you are unaware of is the fact that the Federal Government meddles in the affairs of the Black community and destabilizes it purposefully. We’ve seen this time and time with the MOVE bombing, the Tulsa riots, the infiltration of the Black Panthers, the assassination of Martin Luther King, and etc. Black American collaboration and economic empowerment is seen as a threat to the federal government which is why all their programs to “help” Black America actually make us dependent and subservient e.g. welfare and etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 08:55 PM

241 posts, read 143,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
All that means is they're doing a **** poor job of getting their message out there.

Because it's not so much what they're protesting that most people take issue with.

It's how and when they're choosing to do it.

Kneeling for the anthem says nothing to the average American about police shootings/brutality/racism etc.

What it says is they're disrespectful, overpaid, unpatriotic spoiled brats.
You don’t get it. They are not kneeling to be rebels, they are simply saying “Why would I put my hand over my heart and sing praises to a nation that is killing and profiting of the imprisonment of men and women that look like me daily?” They simply do not feel solidarity with the nation and when people react as you do it just proves the point.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:59 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
All that means is they're doing a **** poor job of getting their message out there.

Because it's not so much what they're protesting that most people take issue with.

It's how and when they're choosing to do it.

Kneeling for the anthem says nothing to the average American about police shootings/brutality/racism etc.

What it says is they're disrespectful, overpaid, unpatriotic spoiled brats.
Would you rather have riots in the streets or a peaceful protest. Maybe you should do some research on how they give back to their community

Old 08-29-2018, 09:04 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No doubt this is an issue that also seriously divides America, with Trump in the mix in typical embarrassing fashion, and no doubt there have been more than a few prior threads about this as a result, but rather than let this get buried in one of those many prior threads, I think Kareem's recent insights about all this sports protest business are particularly worthy of consideration...

"Sports is one of the few areas in which Americans of all races can talk to each other. Right now, it may be the country’s best hope for meaningful dialogue"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ter-in-america

If only Trump and more Americans would/could consider what they are so badly missing. Purposely or unwittingly, I'm really not sure...
Do you know why most people turn on the football game? It's so that they can forget about real life stress for a while. In today's political climate, a lot of that stress they're trying to forget has to do with politics. Turning the NFL into just another political soapbox is a quick way to irritate a whole lot of people who just want to watch a game.

Side note: people making $3 million plus to chase an inflated pigskin kneeling to protest injustice is farcical. Mel Brooks could turn that plot line into a great comedy.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:25 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
If you think you're being "attacked viciously" by somebody raising a fist or kneeling - - I don't know what to tell you.
I was quoting you. See post #72.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:42 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,318 times
Quote:
The right to peaceful protest, and out right, blatant disrespect for one of the strongest symbols of this country, are two entirely different issues.
I believe peaceful protest can be accomplished without showing any disrespect.
The NFL has not learned that lesson yet.

Mr.King accomplished his protest without disrespecting anyone, and change was the result(the civil right's act of 1964).

Bob.
It is cool that you believe that Bob. But I just do not see it the same way. Respect ( or disrespect), patriotism, love of country ... it means different things to different people. If you feel these actions are disrespecrful then by all means protest, boycott, whatever. I will in no way get in your way, sir. But the member I was replying to in the above quote said, in essence, honor it my way or leave the country. I have no problem with him having a different opinion than mine, just like you. But he would not except anything short of 'my way or the highway'. I simply feel no requirement, no obligation, to think and feel like him or you.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:00 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And I don't know of any job, other than sports, where you are forced to stand for the pledge every time you start work.
Then don't play sports.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:48 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
Patriotism has turned into right wing PC talk. You must be patriotic in the way they approve.
And yet they say the left is P.C... Forced patriotism isn't patriotism, it's fascism.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:12 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Obviously Kareem feels the black population in general has never been able to progress like other races.
This is true, but one has to ask why is this?
For way to many years , blacks have always felt the white population owes them something because of what happened to their ancestors hundreds of years ago.
That same attitude persist today.

The fact of the matter is, blacks rely on outside forces to do things for them, when in fact they should be doing these things on their own, if they want a better life.
They complain they do not have the same opportunities as whites, an other races.
If that is the case, then do something to create change.
Sitting around pissin and moaning about things, is not going to change anything.

Their biggest mistake is PROTEST.
That solves nothing, and waste time.

They should be out talking to elected officials in a dignified matter, as opposed to marching in the streets like a bunch of hoodlums.
They have serious issues?
Discuss them in a serious way.
Let them spell it out to those with the power and resources to do something.

Now, about this kneeling when the national anthem is being played.

I think it is the most disgraceful , and disrespectful thing any American can do.
My words to those involved in this blatant disrespect for the country would be, "If you don't like the idea of showing respect for the country, then get the hell out.

The country isn't perfect, but I would take it over any other place on earth.
These low life kneelers should all be fired the minute they bend to kneel when ever the anthem is played.
They deserve nothing but a one way ticket out of this country.
Oh, and they can take Kareem with them.

Bob.
For starters, I don't think you accurately represent what blacks have always done, think or expect and what you do write strikes me as a bit racist if not plenty racist...

These misguided notions that so many white people have -- too many -- about how black people have been coping, "complaining," "whining," about their challenges in America today demonstrates a complete lack of understanding and empathy. Blacks have obviously been moving on and living their lives best they can despite a rather "difficult" history in America leading to significant challenges up to and including present day. That so many -- too many -- whites don't really get any of this is a sad and persistent problem that only makes matters worse. A little too complicated to get into, but the statistics about poverty rates, education, employment, income, wealth, incarceration rates, etc., clearly indicate the problem(s) that blacks face in America today are not a thing of the past!

All that said, I have not met or worked with one black person who has "expected" other than equal respect and the want for opportunity just like everyone else. Not one who I have known or know has expected or wanted much more or less, and I think this is true for most black people who are simply doing their best with what they have to work with, despite all the challenges and odds against them compared to whites in America in general.

Enough about the past already? Not so fast or so easy...

Think about this if you might..., even in South Africa where the majority are black, whites pretty well had all the control, power and wealth (land) back in the "good old days" of apartheid, more than two decades ago. Whites simply took the land from the blacks as they saw fit. Fast forward to today, the problem and oppression of the apartheid government is gone, (thanks in large part to Mandela who the whites put in jail for speaking out against those injustices, of course). Nevertheless, though apartheid is a thing of the past, the majority of the land still remains in the hands of whites! Whites are not even 9 percent of the entire population!

Why is this true do you imagine? True today!

Nothing wrong with this picture?

Apartheid simply a thing of the past, so blacks need to simply move on already? Easy for you to say...

A difficult problem with no easy answers, but to suggest blacks in America don't have good reason to press for answers, better opportunity, seems awfully blind of the obvious. An issue "hundreds" of years old? Hello? The Civil Rights Movement was just in the 60's, and still being fought in many ways today!

As for the rest you go on about, seems similarly short-sighted if not altogether blind to reality as well. You want examples of the "most disgraceful and disrespectful" things an American can do? I can point you in the direction of things Americans have done and continue to do far worse than taking a knee in protest of injustice!

You've really GOT to be kidding!

Far far worse!

Last edited by LearnMe; 08-30-2018 at 09:24 AM..

Old 08-30-2018, 09:13 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
I would just like to take this time to remind everyone that hockey has none of this crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies