Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 12:04 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,757,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I get the feeling from a good many of the comments already posted in this thread that a good many people don't even read what Kareem explains in his article. Why? Because not much of what he explains is quoted or addressed in these comments! How about something other than what you already had fixed in your mind before I started this thread?

I did not read one single word of any article you linked to nor did I even really read your OP. My response was in answer to your subject line. I don't care how players want to justify it, I don't want to see it, so I change the channel. There is not one single thing Kareem or anyone else could possibly say to change my mind on that.

Many fans do not want to see these players kneeling for the national anthem and will not watch it. Period, end of sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 12:08 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
The players who are NFL employees, and entertainers decided to further divide their customers (fans, and audience) by bringing politics into what should be relaxation, and entertainment. In the process they have alienated many viewers who now no longer watch, nor participate with their sponsors. Once again the Left is divisive using the false narrative that this is free speech, when it is a workplace issue. They are using their employers, and customers time, and money to grandstand, and virtue signal. They are essentially stealing.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:09 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,170,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I don't need to read or understand anything. I'm perfectly clear on the subject. I don't know a single person that is allowed to protest on the job period. End of story.
Just because you don't know about it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. People protest things everyday in every way they can think of. A protest doesn't have to be overt or in your face, but it is still a protest.

I protested at a job where I was contractually bound to be there 6 months. I hated the job and the managers and everyday, I kept a countdown calendar on my whiteboard and on the days that I was absent, co-workers (in sympathy) erased and placed the correct number of days till the end for me. We had a GIANT party the eve of the end - with most of the employees congratulating me for being able to "get out."

When asked about it - by management, I responded that "this is the number of days till the end of this contract."

People protest in their jobs daily - you just may not notice it or be involved. Silent protest can be totally within the law and totally within the company policies - and be just as effective.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-28-2018 at 12:28 PM..

Old 08-28-2018, 12:09 PM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
"Meaningful dialogue" and freedom to protest are all well and good, but still not at "work" sorry thats not being closed minded its just reality and its how you keep a happy healthy work place. If I owned a business, all politics and protests would be a no-go during official business.
I once owned a business. There was no real dress code, but of course there was an understood expectation along those lines. Fortunately no one came to work wearing anything I had to concern myself with or do anything about, but I think it's a bit of a mistake to compare the taking of a knee for the reason(s) done to some of these work examples.

If, for example, one of my employees chose to raise his hand and interrupt me in a meeting to point out some wrong-doing by the company, my response would not be that doing so is not allowed, or not appropriate.

Something else that bothers me as someone who is proud to be an American and proud of what the American flag MEANS TO ME, is the notion that people are saluting (or not), standing (or not) because of rules rather than the freedom to do as we wish as long as we're not hurting others. I'd rather know people are doing what they are doing because of how they feel, not because of what they are required to do, like in so many other countries where people don't enjoy those sorts of freedoms. MUST praise their leader, MUST salute their flag, no matter what the Hell their leader or government is doing to them!

The taking of a knee is about the most passive peaceful way to express "heartburn" anyone can consider, and it is NOT AN INSULT! Surely doesn't bother me any and doesn't change the entertainment to follow that we all came to enjoy! No more than it bothers me that someone in the stands is doing as they choose as well when it comes to the flag and/or the national anthem.

I for one would rather know the guy standing next to me is standing and singing the national anthem along with me because he WANTS to, not because he is FORCED to, and if he isn't for his own personal reasons, that's his right! Not an "insult!" A right! A freedom! Which is more about what the American flag represents to me!

Old 08-28-2018, 12:13 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,757,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I once owned a business. There was no real dress code, but of course there was an understood expectation along those lines. Fortunately no one came to work wearing anything I had to concern myself with or do anything about, but I think it's a bit of a mistake to compare the taking of a knee for the reason(s) done to some of these work examples.

If, for example, one of my employees chose to raise his hand and interrupt me in a meeting to point out some wrong-doing by the company, my response would not be that doing so is not allowed, or not appropriate.

Something else that bothers me as someone who is proud to be an American and proud of what the American flag MEANS TO ME, is the notion that people are saluting (or not), standing (or not) because of rules rather than the freedom to do as we wish as long as we're not hurting others. I'd rather know people are doing what they are doing because of how they feel, not because of what they are required to do, like in so many other countries where people don't enjoy those sorts of freedoms. MUST praise their leader, salute their flag, no matter what the Hell their leader or government is doing to them!

The taking of a knee is about the most passive peaceful way to express "heartburn" anyone can consider. Surely doesn't bother me any and doesn't change the entertainment to follow that we all came to enjoy! No more than it bothers me that someone in the stands is doing as they choose as well when it comes to the flag and/or the national anthem.

I for one would rather know the guy standing next to me is standing and singing the national anthem along with me because he WANTS to, not because he is FORCED to, and if he isn't for his own personal reasons, that's his right! Not an "insult!" A right! A freedom! Which is more about what the American flag represents to me!
Do you not understand that every word you just said is entirely irrelevant? You can't force people to watch these guys kneeling for the anthem.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:15 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,040,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
I don't shove my point of views to you or Kareem so why you should do it to me.
What? That is EXACTLY what you are doing here. I think you are purposly being obtuse.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:16 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,303,157 times
One comment I wish to make in reference to Trump and his "core" supporters.

Back in May the owners came up with a new policy saying that players could remain off the field during the Anthem, but must stand if on the field. At the time Trump was not crazy about the "staying in the locker-room" part but said he was glad they came up with something. His core supporters claimed "Trump won".

Now about a month ago Trump said that staying in the locker-room is as bad as kneeling. That being said if the players assoc and owners come in agreement with that policy, will Trump and many of his core supporters continue to blast those that remain off the field during the Anthem?

Old 08-28-2018, 12:25 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,277,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
What? That is EXACTLY what you are doing here. I think you are purposly being obtuse.

what a retarded response.....this is a forum, people come here to write and read opinions. You don't have to read my posts or response......just like we don't have to watch the NFL and reject the kneelers.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
there is no insult to you but you don't speak for me and millions of Americans that find it insulting.

I don't give a rat's ass about Kareem point of view.....he doesn't respect mine so why should I consider respecting his?

I don't shove my point of views to you or Kareem so why you should do it to me.

There are approx 2,000 police shootings a year in the USA against all races and ethnicities in a population of 360,000,000 legal citizens not including undocumented people. That is 0.000006% of the population shot justly or unjustly by police. This issue has really been blown out of proportion. Yea there are bad cops out there but this issue has been used for political reasons . BLM hasn’t been nearly has covered in the media since the election. Why is that? The numbers are no better. There are bigger issues with the criminal justice system like blacks getting unfair sentencing compared to whites. Why isn’t that reported or protested nearly as much? It’s bc it doesn’t sell and get people to the polls like killings do.

if you are going to protest about anything you better have your facts straight and your solutions in details something the NFL players including KAP didn't have a freakin' clue about, if not we have a right to reject their antics.
How is protesting something you view in need of attention and correction an insult? Help me understand what is insulting? What is something of an insult is the notion that if/when people feel there is wrong-doing that needs such attention and correction, only your approved manner to do so is allowed. This isn't North Korea buddy!

Same with this "shoving" of point of view. Who is doing any "shoving?" I'm sharing an opinion, perspective perhaps different from yours, to consider. You've even got heartburn about that?!?

Not that I don't expect plenty of that sort of thing in this forum. What's new? You and your kind are not the sort I have in mind when I think something like this -- worth considering -- is going to be valued or appreciated in any way, or even read for that matter. I know the kind well, and you are simply not someone I expect to do other than as you do, comment as you do.

Fortunately we ALL live in a free country and we are ALL pretty much FREE to voice our opinion, even if offensive to others, even the POTUS. Even though you are rather offensive to me, even insulting, I'll be the last person to argue you shouldn't have the opportunity to express yourself, speak your mind and do as you feel you must in the name of promoting right over wrong.

What is far more difficult to do, however, is appreciate or accept your inability to consider another point of view that again -- is NOT about insulting anyone. Still, it remains a free country, and there is no law against being stubborn and closed minded about anything. Nothing this forum doesn't prove better than this simple truth!

Old 08-28-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Do you not understand that every word you just said is entirely irrelevant? You can't force people to watch these guys kneeling for the anthem.
You lost me...

I don't expect anyone to watch what they don't want to! Like me, I'm there to watch the game. I don't have to watch the pre-game show anymore than I have to watch the commercials! Anymore than you have to read or reply to these comments!

No doubt I don't understand your reply, but yours and a few others have reminded me what a waste of time and key strokes this forum tends to be, "irrelevant" is right! Reminding me yet again the time has definitely come for me to do something productive, so until maybe tomorrow...

Here's to another day of enjoying all the freedoms our American flag represents, including that of protest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies