Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 01:33 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Not nearly left enough.

Props to your comment back to the 12 year old talking about judges sitting in high-chairs.

Serena, what a poor sport just because she was getting her ass kicked!

Boo hoo!

Why don't she just cry her little eyes out, get it out of her system, then shake the hand of her opponent and then shut the hell up?
Yep, not nearly left enough so I'm the enemy....of both sides, by the way!

Following the logic of some posters who are defending Serena, I just have to ask - why do they hate Japanese people so much?

Old 09-10-2018, 01:34 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Here, compare John's behavior to what she did, and he did this at almost every match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Nyc9jzSDg
He defaulted that match, I believe, precisely because of his behavior. And no, he DIDN'T do that most every match.

Why are people promoting mythology to support Serena Williams?

Old 09-10-2018, 01:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
....and you clearly hear, at time 0:30, the umpire issue a verbal abuse penalty of a point to McEnroe. Then at time 1:10, when he smashes stuff by his chair, you hear another code violation and he is penalized a game. Then he calmly walks over and asks if the match is over, the official says no, you were penalized game and the set is at 4-4, McEnroe asks calmly if the umpire can be replaced, is told no, and he walks away...knowing his next bit of nonsense defaults the match.

They mistimed the smacking of the tennis ball in that video, as that came earlier in the match and was his first violation that got him a warning.

And oh by the way, his fine from that match resulted in him being suspended from the tour for 21 days, because of a rule that was implemented based on his antics specifically.

So much for the bias against Serena.

I don't expect all people to get tennis or understand it's rules, but even people who do know the rules are falling over themselves to excuse what a questionable character Williams is. It's really unbelievable.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:37 PM

13,967 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
He defaulted that match, I believe, precisely because of his behavior. And no, he DIDN'T do that most every match.
He actually won that match. McEnroe was an odd duck in that he could meltdown, get whole game penalties and be riding the line of getting a default (which happened to him on occasion) and he would gather himself and play better, less emotionally and just turn on some new gear.

But the tour instituted the "total fines for a calendar year" rule based entirely on McEnroe and his antics. He never "got away" with anything. He got tons of rules violations, fines and even a suspension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Why are people promoting mythology to support Serena Williams?
Take a wild guess, figuring on the current cultural narrative. Go on, give it a whirl.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:39 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You are missing the big point here. I am an older white guy, and she was robbed. How many antics have we seen from male tennis stars over the years, throwing tantrums, threatening judges, calling them an SOB, etc, etc. They were always given a pass.

That line judge made it personal. He couldn't stand a women speaking up and questioning him. Pro Tennis is an intense sport, Serena is one of the best. Maybe she was beaten, but the heat they put on her certainly did not help, and was purely sexist.

Any man, who has any honesty, will admit we ARE treated differently and better than women.
Re your third paragraph -- The research clearly shows that men are consistently punished more severely than women are in the criminal justice system for similar offenses, and the disparity is even greater when the judge is a man. Your conclusion is the complete opposite of the truth.

Re your second paragraph -- Are you saying that Osaka is a man? Or are you saying that Ramos umpires men's matches with different standards? If so, can you back it up? And why would it matter?

Re your first paragraph --Was she playing John McEnroe? If not, why would his behavior be relevant? The only question is whether the umpire held the two players to the same standard.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:48 PM

13,967 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy332 View Post
Already read that article, and they are blame shifting. All three violations are clear enough, and she was already down a set before the first one occurred. She was beaten by a superior opponent and threw a tantrum about it. Period. Making excuses for poor behavior doesn't change the fact that she behaved poorly and in violation of the established rules, nor does it make the rules the reason she was beaten. Osaka was better than her the entire match, and won.
Quote:
I'm guessing verbose posts are the highlight of your life (heck, the average age of a P&OC poster is what, 85 years old?),
Another personal insult. Why?
Quote:
but this nonsense of mediocre highchair judges ruining professional tennis matches has got to stop.
The only things ruined were Serena's reputation and Osaka's rightful thrill of of victory and accomplishment, both ruined by Serena herself, with cheers from an equally boorish audience who cheers this godawful WWE absurdity as if it has any place in an otherwise honorable sport.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:04 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Making excuses for poor behavior doesn't change the fact that she behaved poorly and in violation of the established rules, nor does it make the rules the reason she was beaten. Osaka was better than her the entire match, and won.
I think Serena has a valid gripe here in that the chair very rarely issues a formal warning for coaching. It's the same way people rarely ever get speeding citations for doing 27 in a 25. Given how loosely the prohibition against on court coaching is enforced, I could see how Serena would think her racquet smash was Strike One rather than Strike Two. That's why she said "You stole a point from me" because the coaching rule is hardly ever enforced and the deciding set of a Slam final seems to be as inopportune a time as ever to enforce it. Personally, I would not have issued the third infraction for "verbal abuse" as what she said didn't seem to be all that offensive, but that's just me. I'd rather have the players decide the match unless, of course, someone starts talking trash about my family.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:17 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think Serena has a valid gripe here in that the chair very rarely issues a formal warning for coaching. It's the same way people rarely ever get speeding citations for doing 27 in a 25. Given how loosely the prohibition against on court coaching is enforced, I could see how Serena would think her racquet smash was Strike One rather than Strike Two. That's why she said "You stole a point from me" because the coaching rule is hardly ever enforced and the deciding set of a Slam final seems to be as inopportune a time as ever to enforce it. Personally, I would not have issued the third infraction for "verbal abuse" as what she said didn't seem to be all that offensive, but that's just me. I'd rather have the players decide the match unless, of course, someone starts talking trash about my family.
For me, and I think for many here, the valid gripe is not the issue. She may have had a very valid gripe, which most players or teams do during the course of a sports game/match. It was the lack of composure and professionalism she displayed that was the problem.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:21 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
For me, and I think for many here, the valid gripe is not the issue. She may have had a very valid gripe, which most players or teams do during the course of a sports game/match. It was the lack of composure and professionalism she displayed that was the problem.
Sure, but lots of sports figures blow up and rarely get called out for a lack of professionalism. Every week in college football, a coach slams his headset on the ground and gets in the face of a referee (usually drawing a penalty) and nobody ever says the coach needs to check his emotions. You never hear that sort of thing said about men unless they go full Ron Artest or Rodman.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:22 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Following the logic of some posters who are defending Serena, I just have to ask - why do they hate Japanese people so much?
How quickly you Trumpers forget. Pikachu was in the tank for Donald, remember?

https://money.cnn.com/2017/10/12/med...-go/index.html

(Personal apology ahead of time...simply couldn't help myself )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies