Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 05:09 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
You are sadly lost to that "group think." Even here you continue to parrot the language of it.
Sure, OK, whatever.

PS: if you were truly a conservative, you wouldn't think that the US government should meddle in what private companies pay their employees.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 09-10-2018 at 05:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 05:17 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,066,951 times
Big mistake, for anyone to expect their income to grow if they do not consistently upgrade their skill set through out their career. Whether that means within one career path or branching off into another path is totally up to the individual. Most, not all, but most people are capable of that. If they will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Take a closer look at that successful system:

For most U.S. workers, real wages have barely budged in decades
Real unemployment numbers U-6 is somewhere between 8.6 - 9.4 depending on which report one reads ...

What the unemployment rate does – and doesn’t – say about the economy
Why You’re Not Getting a Raise
At what point do we start looking at the fact that 43 million people whose wage is $12,140 per year (individual income) it is the system that is failing them; they are not failing the system. Trump's tax cuts was suppose to encourage an increase in wages and an increase in hiring. What it did instead, imo, the tax cuts caused a bull market in a huge amount of stock 'buy backs', by corporations, that thought an impressive portfolio was better than the hiring or wage increase of employees.

The American middle class is stable in size, but losing ground financially to upper-income families
In 1997 I held a job as a receptionist. The additional duties were, billing, filling and inventory reconciliation and I was paid $8.25 an hour. Today (21 years later) that same job pays $8.00 an hour. I'd earn more working at Macky D's with a lot less responsibilities to boot.

Also in that era the computer technology industry was taking off like gang busters and I was looking at IT support professional opportunities. The duties were to maintain office computers and networks within a company and the starting wage for that was $35,000 - $40,000 a year for some one with 1 year experience. 21 years later ... that hasn't changed.

People who are not actively engaged in the job market trying to get some where, for the last two decades haven't a clue.

CEOs and people who own these companies, they are not going to increase wages, oh hell no. When they can do what they've been doing and still get their ends met, they don't see a need to do anything more. The complaint now is that those looking for workers, the prospects haven't the skills to cover the jobs. I haven't looked at graduate numbers yet, but college graduates still happen and when they're done, they will find no job or a job that doesn't pay squat when they're done. SSDD

Poor people can't produce my a$$.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:27 PM

34,063 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Big mistake, for anyone to expect their income to grow if they do not consistently upgrade their skill set through out their career. Whether that means within one career path or branching off into another path is totally up to the individual. Most, not all, but most people are capable of that. If they will.
But it takes effort, and millions prefer to make excuses.

It is sad.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:37 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
You say the system is successful. The question is "For who?"
Pretty successful for all these folks ...... (looks like I killed that thread on "success")

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics -- August 2018

For Who??? How about all those Sectors that have increased JOBS in the last 12 months?

This stuff get's OLD - the Data is available, but it appears that DATA doesn't hold up to Leftist Hype.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:54 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Pretty successful for all these folks ...... (looks like I killed that thread on "success")

For Who??? How about all those Sectors that have increased JOBS in the last 12 months?

This stuff get's OLD - the Data is available, but it appears that DATA doesn't hold up to Leftist Hype.
So basically, under Obama the unemployment rate declined by 5% points and under Trump it has declined by 1% points and its the best ever? The unemployment figures are no longer fake?

And the "average wage growth" doesnt take into account inflation or what the median growth is. One Wall Street big shot can get 50% wage increase and 10 working stiffs get 1% increase and the "average" is 3% growth...

Old 09-10-2018, 06:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
And here comes the rub, how do they afford it? Some jobs you can transfer directly without having a course to advance skills, others do and many rely on a degree to do so. A study from the last two years show that only 39% of Americans can cover $1,000 emergencies through their savings. That means some 61% of people would feel a hurt I did in 2015 when I had gallbladder surgery. $6,000 for the hospital stay since I went to the ER for it and the battery of tests and medications they give you. And that $6000 was WITH insurance. Luckily I paid it off, but it hurt for a good nearly three years. Now imagine that but with the price of living (rent, food, transportation) and the costs of those improvements to get most jobs. The days of companies investing into workers is over because the bean counters trying to contain every little cost they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
But it takes effort, and millions prefer to make excuses.

It is sad.
Listen, the issue isn't that people make excuses, the problem is often that is all they can afford. I heard on the radio today that companies are now removing college degrees as mandatory for new applicants. Why, because they cannot find enough workers. That means the economy is improving, but it also is a barrier removed. For years, far too many companies looked for the sheepskin, even if it wasn't directly relevant. The degrees requirements took out about 70% of the working population from these jobs. How is not being able to afford an education to get a job because of the continuous bills, an excuse. The problem is one man's "excuse" is a reality to the next. And what really is sad is many of these people who think people can lift themselves up by their bootstraps don't realize this. The 61% of people that can't afford that $1000 emergency aren't all people who made bad choices and continue to do so, though I'm sure a number of them are. Instead we get people who can't afford another way of life and get the better paying jobs.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

You mean the same BLS data that was "faked" under Obama according to the same conservatives now trumpeting it under Trump?

Old 09-10-2018, 06:39 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
These two charts disprove White House claim Trump improved the economy — he actually slowed it:

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/1039300060398411776

Old 09-10-2018, 06:46 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,581,436 times
When CNN writes an article acknowledging that the economy is booming, it must be!

Old 09-10-2018, 07:00 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Sure, OK, whatever.

PS: if you were truly a conservative, you wouldn't think that the US government should meddle in what private companies pay their employees.
Again with this Nowhere did I state that. Most Americans don't understand that we do not have an actual capitalist, free market system. We have corporatism and crony capitalism as well as many monopolies. That's the real problem, not laziness or lack of education (not that smart, hard work and education aren't great for many reasons). The partisan followers on both sides play a significant role in allowing this to continue unabated by promoting simplistic platitudes or phony social justice as answers to anything. That's why I get so frustrated, most allow themselves to be manipulated and divided by those who greatly benefit from that division. No matter where one is from or party affliation, most of us just want a decent life and family and have more in common than not.

Most Americans are not lazy and simply want work that gives them a small peice of the pie. It's not about waiting for the government to fix everything, it's about making demands on OUR representatives so they are beholden and make policy benefiting more than just those who can make large donations. The average American can't promise a cushy, million/yr job after their "service," but most politicians really want to keep their positions, that gives citizens real power to demand change and we should.

Last edited by detshen; 09-10-2018 at 07:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies