Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 07:56 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So we look at current trends.

In the last 8 months the stock market hasn't been soaring.

It did in 2017.

There is not on specific factor that can be attributed to Trump.

Investors only will invest so much based on the hope and the prayers Trump was offering in 2017. Sure there was some hope for tax cuts, etc. but so many other factors influence investing decisions.

Donald Trump Stock Market: What's Really Driving Record Highs | Fortune

Most definitely a consistently growing economy prior to Trump was a big contributing factor to the bump in 2017.

and
“What people forget is that it’s not necessarily about this individual and his actions per se, it’s about the cycle of the elections and the midterms,” said Jeff Hirsch, who edits the Stock Trader’s Almanac. That group has consistently found that a bump to the market in an election year is common.

Since the tax cuts were passed we haven't seen a significant increase. That's because of all the uncertainty with trade, mid-terms, immigration, healthcare.

How those issues are resolved will impact the stock market
Already replied when you posted the same thing in the other thread. I really don't care about the analysis in this case because I don't buy into the fact that the POTUS has some magic levers to have this much impact on the markets. My only point is that poster cherry picks a date in January and claims its some sort of measure of the DOW being down for the year just because its off the high for the year. Its intentionally misleading and completely wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 07:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Obama just said the Economy is doing great. He tried to take claim for it. We all know that part isn't true. If it was, the Democrat party would not have been voted to a state of powerlessness not seen for over 100 years.
And yet you Republicans and conservatives bashed similar jobs gains under Obama as you are cheerleading under Trump. Pick your story and stick to it, partisanship is disgusting. I didn't always give Obama a pass on jobs, just as I am with Trump.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:00 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Already replied when you posted the same thing in the other thread. I really don't care about the analysis in this case because I don't buy into the fact that the POTUS has some magic levers to have this much impact on the markets. My only point is that poster cherry picks a date in January and claims its some sort of measure of the DOW being down for the year just because its off the high for the year. Its intentionally misleading and completely wrong.
You have a point -- like The White House changing how they see wage increases to make it 'fit' their narrative.

They cherry picked the parameters.

I misunderstood the point you were trying to make.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:03 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And yet you Republicans and conservatives bashed similar jobs gains under Obama as you are cheerleading under Trump. Pick your story and stick to it, partisanship is disgusting. I didn't always give Obama a pass on jobs, just as I am with Trump.

Dear I voted for Obama in '08 and I'm not a republican.

So as usual you are 100% wrong again.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You have a point -- like The White House changing how they see wage increases to make it 'fit' their narrative.

They cherry picked the parameters.

I misunderstood the point you were trying to make.
No worries, at least you get the point, unlike the OP.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Still cherry picking this data point so it fits your narrative I see? Why don't you use a random 8 month long analysis for the rest of your data?
No need to pick.....

How about the same dates from 2012?
How about the same dates from 2013?

Now, if you will promise me you were jumping up and down all over the net about great Obama was....and if you will agree right now that those two years are better than this year.....we can agree on facts....

2012 - approx. 7-8% rise in that time period.
2013 - approx 15% rise in that time period.

2108 - depending on the date you pick - from NEGATIVE to a high of perhaps 6%

There is no measurement you can fudge or pick that says the DOW is forging ahead in 2018 - Trump is shaking up the entire business world with his BS tweets and lies...

Now - it SHOULD be up 12-1% or more so far this year....and I truly believe if Trump just left things alone it would be. But he's the type of guy that can lose money fast. After all, remember...if he invested in Buffet he's be worth 180 Billion. In the S&P, maybe 18 Billion. Instead he was at ZERO relatively recently and with Russian and other funny money may be at 3B....

That takes a lot of talent to lose that much money.......you must admit he is perhaps the worst investor of all time.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
No need to pick.....

How about the same dates from 2012?
How about the same dates from 2013?

Now, if you will promise me you were jumping up and down all over the net about great Obama was....and if you will agree right now that those two years are better than this year.....we can agree on facts....

2012 - approx. 7-8% rise in that time period.
2013 - approx 15% rise in that time period.

2108 - depending on the date you pick - from NEGATIVE to a high of perhaps 6%

There is no measurement you can fudge or pick that says the DOW is forging ahead in 2018 - Trump is shaking up the entire business world with his BS tweets and lies...

Now - it SHOULD be up 12-1% or more so far this year....and I truly believe if Trump just left things alone it would be. But he's the type of guy that can lose money fast. After all, remember...if he invested in Buffet he's be worth 180 Billion. In the S&P, maybe 18 Billion. Instead he was at ZERO relatively recently and with Russian and other funny money may be at 3B....

That takes a lot of talent to lose that much money.......you must admit he is perhaps the worst investor of all time.
Nope, because Obama also didn't control the market, just like Trump doesn't. Its junk analysis to pretend like the POTUS controls the stock market.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:41 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I'm not sure how far back your knowledge of social economic culture goes, but mine goes back 3000 years. The Institution of Slavery was derived from Debtors Prison. Where as a person who was in debt to the government could be purchased for the amount of the person's debt to society. Upon release to their purchaser they would then work for that person until which time their debt was paid rather than go to prison.

And every time I think we may have moved forward, turns out, not so much:
Debtors' Prisons
Debtors' Prison in 21st-Century America

For failing to pay parking tickets, court fees, and other petty municipal citations, black residents of Greater St. Louis are ending up behind bars.
Where as one comes back, the other might soon follow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Fines, tickets and citations are not the same thing as a financial debt. They are a form of punishment short of or in lieu of serving jail time for violating a law or ordinance.
You mean like prison time for not paying one's taxes one is also in violation of breaking a law? Court fines and fees are financial debts. Governments have been getting paid for 3000 + years if you don't pay them you're going to jail, debtors' prison.
Quote:
Historically, the phrase debtors’ prison refers to any detention facility in which people are incarcerated for their failure to pay a debt. Today, the “debts” that lead to incarceration take the form of monetary penalties established and enforced by municipal courts.
<snip>
Despite prior attempts on the federal level and across the country to prevent the profound injustice of locking people in cages because they are too poor to pay a debt, the practice persists every day.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:04 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
You lost me at "right wing group think."

I believe in self-reliance. I'm never going to wait on the government to make things better for me and mine. That is MY responsibility.

You may call it propaganda if you like. However, I call it common sense.
Quote:
I'm never going to wait on the government to make things better for me and mine.
That is where you and I would agree. Though, I've always said, government is the entity one has to learn how to survive. This isn't about you or I or what we may or may not have been able to achieve on a personal basis in our lives. It's about looking at the larger scheme of things:
For most U.S. workers, real wages have barely budged in decades
Quote:
After adjusting for inflation, however, today’s average hourly wage has just about the same purchasing power it did in 1978, following a long slide in the 1980s and early 1990s and bumpy, inconsistent growth since then. In fact, in real terms average hourly earnings peaked more than 45 years ago: The $4.03-an-hour rate recorded in January 1973 had the same purchasing power that $23.68 would today.
... with a knowing ^this^ is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen: Workers deserve a share in the economy for the work that they do and we can fight for better policies.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 09-10-2018 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: last quotation correction made ...

Old 09-10-2018, 09:37 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
That is where you and I would agree. Though, I've always said, government is the entity one has to learn how to survive. This isn't about you or I or what we may or may not have been able to achieve on a personal basis in our lives. It's about looking at the larger scheme of things:
For most U.S. workers, real wages have barely budged in decades
... with a knowing ^this^ is wrong.
You bring up someone interesting points, but in your response above, I don't believe that last quote was written by me .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies