Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 07:02 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times

Advertisements

Are Democrats and the MSM still trying to tell Americans to feel miserable about themselves?

I'd they would learn by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 07:03 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Those who work hard and produce.

Should it be successful for those do nothing?
Soylent Green is people!

Old 09-10-2018, 07:05 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times
Nothing that can't be cured with an 80% estate tax.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:07 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Pretty successful for all these folks ...... (looks like I killed that thread on "success")

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics -- August 2018

For Who??? How about all those Sectors that have increased JOBS in the last 12 months?

This stuff get's OLD - the Data is available, but it appears that DATA doesn't hold up to Leftist Hype.
Oh, the data IS available....

1. No real wage growth when inflation, higher interest rates, health care and gas is figure in (no, 1/10th of 1% up or down doesn't count!)...

2. DOW 1,000 points lower than it was 8 months ago.

3. Whatever wealth there is goes to folks like me - NOT the forgotten man and woman.

4. TRILLIONS more borrowed and given away as "free" money...then GDP resulting is bragged about (even tho it doesn't mean anything to have a higher GDP because that include health care spending, higher interest rates, more expensive energy ad houses etc.).....

5. TRILLIONS more in Deficits projected despite original promises to balance the budget....

#5 is quite simple. Republican (and, or, "conservatives") are always talking as if the government is no different than a household or business budget. Well, if that is the case and I am making the BIG bucks, I'm certainly not having to borrow MORE money against my children and grandchildren (reverse mortgage) in order to live.

In fact, I'd be paying back that money EASILY and also be seeing vast economic increases.

But we are not. It's amazing that Trump did the exact same thing GW did and gave tax cuts out of debt an deficit....at just the time when it would have been possible to pay down the deficit to balanced...or close to it.

Why? Well, he has to buy votes. And since most Americans don't care about their children, grand-children or future generations, they will gladly accept a corporate tax cut and $20 a week more for themselves in exchange for setting future generations up to pay it back.

Sad, really. I have 35 years of investing and 40 years in business to weight things against and we are certainly not in good times. Wages are sinfully low. Debt is unbelievable high. And even with a 9 year "bull" market, the yearly returns have not been what they were in the 90's bull markets (15-20% a year for multiple years).....

Obama handed Trump a good situation...as I like to say, never has so little been done with so much. Instead of balancing the budget...which I feel many of us (even "cons") could have understood and gotten behind, he decided to just buy you...cheaply....with printed money.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Are Democrats and the MSM still trying to tell Americans to feel miserable about themselves?

Well , actually measurements show that to be the case. I don't think the media is talking people into opiates, suicides, depression and general unhappiness and lack of approval of direction of the county.

Yet...that is the story.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:13 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Oh, the data IS available....

2. DOW 1,000 points lower than it was 8 months ago.
Still cherry picking this data point so it fits your narrative I see? Why don't you use a random 8 month long analysis for the rest of your data?

Old 09-10-2018, 07:38 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Same old story, the rich keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer, except that we are
practically back to a Caste system society now.
It is a tale of epic sadness that some people could work full time jobs and still struggle to feed their families and sometimes still end up homeless.
America should be better than this.
You should have coordinated better with Obama.
He's taking credit for a booming economy!

Old 09-10-2018, 07:46 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

Nope -- they never did.

They weren't the ones suggesting America wasn't great.

What Trump critics are saying is that the economy is doing well, as it did for the six years before Trump.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:49 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well , actually measurements show that to be the case. I don't think the media is talking people into opiates, suicides, depression and general unhappiness and lack of approval of direction of the county.

Yet...that is the story.

Obama just said the Economy is doing great. He tried to take claim for it. We all know that part isn't true. If it was, the Democrat party would not have been voted to a state of powerlessness not seen for over 100 years.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:53 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Still cherry picking this data point so it fits your narrative I see? Why don't you use a random 8 month long analysis for the rest of your data?
So we look at current trends.

In the last 8 months the stock market hasn't been soaring.

It did in 2017.

There is not on specific factor that can be attributed to Trump.

Investors only will invest so much based on the hope and the prayers Trump was offering in 2017. Sure there was some hope for tax cuts, etc. but so many other factors influence investing decisions.

Donald Trump Stock Market: What's Really Driving Record Highs | Fortune

Most definitely a consistently growing economy prior to Trump was a big contributing factor to the bump in 2017.

and
“What people forget is that it’s not necessarily about this individual and his actions per se, it’s about the cycle of the elections and the midterms,” said Jeff Hirsch, who edits the Stock Trader’s Almanac. That group has consistently found that a bump to the market in an election year is common.

Since the tax cuts were passed we haven't seen a significant increase. That's because of all the uncertainty with trade, mid-terms, immigration, healthcare.

How those issues are resolved will impact the stock market
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies