Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 07:14 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,072 times

Advertisements

Presidential Actions

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 07:31 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I'm not sure anyone has ever seen were a world leader was laughed at so diresvily as Trump was in his self-aggrandising speech at the UN.

Oh, and he showed up 28 minutes late. Does he think he's Putin or something?

What an embarrassment!

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1044597810501505026
Let them laugh. And I will laugh when the money tap gets shut off.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:32 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Let them laugh. And I will laugh when the money tap gets shut off.
Speaking of money ... You know that most every time he shows up with other world leaders at these meetings, he does so with his hand held out, right? What does that look like? ...

Trump keeps criticizing NATO allies over spending. Here's how NATO's budget actually works.

"The president is correct that his predecessors also pressured other NATO member states to increase defense spending, but his claim that member states must pay the US for "protection" misrepresents how NATO works."

He's like that bad penny that just keeps showing up; claiming he's an expert at everything, when it is clear when he opens his mouth, that he knows nothing about nothing, but he will pretend that he does. That is what they think is funny ... I'm sure.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:35 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Yep, it is called relationships and the u.s. today sucks at it. I'd have to go back to ancient foreign policies to see if what I'm about to say is true, but, it seems that the u.s. Presidents from one to the next always passed on the keeping of the word from one to the next. They seem to keep their eye on the ball ... one might get their panties in a wad over something, but when push came to shove and they saw $$$ floating away, they grew a pair --- keep those trade relations going and cheaper goods flowing in the u.s.

I guess the u.s. thinks it is too big to fail, but then again, this is what the people wanted and why Trump is there --- stop the foreign aid, pull the military, charge 'em outrageous tariffs and we have been down this similiar road before, American Isolationism in the 1930s, but one thing we haven't done, no President that I know of anyway, is treat to our allies as if they were gum on the bottom of their shoe. It's like is he so obsessed with Obama, (apology tour) that, he's bending over backwards to be the exact polar opposite? No one likes to be disrespected ... I don't care who you are, you'll find some place else to be and better people to do things with ... that is how a new coalition will be formed as they will move on.

The one the one thing the rich man keeps in the back his mind, is the knowing is all it takes to poor again, is that one mistake he can't take back. The u.s. is not to big to fail.

But the one thing I have to say about Trump, he is unique ... his ego will hit a room, long before he even shows up.
I take it, buying friends is part of the plan? How does that work in real life.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:44 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,422,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Putin leads Trump around by the nose. Never before in American history has a U.S. president been under the control of a Russian leader the way Trump has.

Trump has insulted countless leaders. With all that Russia does to us through various means, He never says a bad word about Putin. Putin has something on Trump, or Trump wont bad mouth Putin, because of future business ventures with Putin and Russia. Trump is all about Trump. Never forget that.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:19 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Yep, it is called relationships and the u.s. today sucks at it. I'd have to go back to ancient foreign policies to see if what I'm about to say is true, but, it seems that the u.s. Presidents from one to the next always passed on the keeping of the word from one to the next. They seem to keep their eye on the ball ... one might get their panties in a wad over something, but when push came to shove and they saw $$$ floating away, they grew a pair --- keep those trade relations going and cheaper goods flowing in the u.s.

I guess the u.s. thinks it is too big to fail, but then again, this is what the people wanted and why Trump is there --- stop the foreign aid, pull the military, charge 'em outrageous tariffs and we have been down this similiar road before, American Isolationism in the 1930s, but one thing we haven't done, no President that I know of anyway, is treat to our allies as if they were gum on the bottom of their shoe. It's like is he so obsessed with Obama, (apology tour) that, he's bending over backwards to be the exact polar opposite? No one likes to be disrespected ... I don't care who you are, you'll find some place else to be and better people to do things with ... that is how a new coalition will be formed as they will move on.

The one the one thing the rich man keeps in the back his mind, is the knowing is all it takes to poor again, is that one mistake he can't take back. The u.s. is not to big to fail.

But the one thing I have to say about Trump, he is unique ... his ego will hit a room, long before he even shows up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I take it, buying friends is part of the plan? How does that work in real life.
Buying friends? Is that what you think that is? Have you seen "The Man in the High Castle"? It's an interesting story of that of two worlds. One, is where the u.s. lost wwII and Nazi Germany, as well as, Japan occupy the u.s.. The other world, is that of, the u.s. prevails in wwII. Of course the later is, where we are today. But the story challenges a person to imagine, what would the u.s. have been like if Japan and Germany had been the ones to prevail? What would the lives of the American people be like, in an alternative history; where Nazi Germany and Japan occupy all of the u.s. and its territories?

However, we have the real history so lets take a look at how it worked out in the real life.

We begin where the u.s. rejects the idea of a coalition of allies:
American Isolationism in the 1930s

"Immediately following the First World War, Congress rejected U.S. membership in the League of Nations. Some members of Congress opposed membership in the League out of concern that it would draw the United States into European conflicts, although ultimately the collective security clause sank the possibility of U.S. participation. During the 1930s, the League proved ineffectual in the face of growing militarism, partly due to the U.S. decision not to participate.
<snip>
Upon taking office, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt tended to see a necessity for the United States to participate more actively in international affairs, but his ability to apply his personal outlook to foreign policy was limited by the strength of isolationist sentiment in the U.S. Congress. In 1933, President Roosevelt proposed a Congressional measure that would have granted him the right to consult with other nations to place pressure on aggressors in international conflicts. The bill ran into strong opposition from the leading isolationists in Congress, including progressive politicians such as Senators Hiram Johnson of California, William Borah of Idaho, and Robert La Follette of Wisconsin. In 1935, controversy over U.S. participation in the World Court elicited similar opposition. As tensions rose in Europe over Nazi Germany’s aggressive maneuvers, Congress pushed through a series of Neutrality Acts, which served to prevent American ships and citizens from becoming entangled in outside conflicts."

The Neutrality Acts, 1930s

"Overall, the Neutrality Acts represented a compromise whereby the United States Government accommodated the isolationist sentiment of the American public, but still retained some ability to interact with the world. In the end, the terms of the Neutrality Acts became irrelevant once the United States joined the Allies in the fight against Nazi Germany and Japan in December 1941."

Is the u.s. buying friends now? What happened? It was no, no, no, the u.s. will not get involved, will not participate, will not, will not ... and in 1941, something happened to change it, and to change the minds of the Republican Congress ... a similar incident happened in the u.s. in 2001.

The League of Nations, 1920

" ... the coming of World War II once again demonstrated the need for an effective international organization to mediate disputes, and the United States public and the Roosevelt administration supported and became founding members of the new United Nations."

Now imagine the u.s. (in 2001) without friends; without other countries military might as a resource for protection ("The Man in the High Castle") and then may be, just may be that alternative history, will become one not left up, to one's imagination, but that of real life, instead. That is the reality Trump is working on to bring to the u.s., as his antics continue to alienate the u.s. from its allies; and to withdraw from the coalition of the u.n., that which the u.s. started to begin with for a reason. Do we remember why (Sunday morning, December 7, 1941) we established allies, or do we believe the u.s. went alone?

Risk vs Cost Analysis --- is the risk greater than the cost:

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.” Ronald Reagan

The u.s. is not to big to fail, as history tells us all it would take, is that one mistake, that can never be taken back and reality will dictate, that which happens next. Take the risk, go alone, as the u.s. rivals are waiting for it. They are not laughing, I'm sure, as the u.s. cuts itself from the herd, they will get their shot at taking down, the great Satan. If we are ones that can't see that, then Trump's ego, isn't the only ego that can hit a room, long before the rest show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies