Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2018, 10:56 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,628,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Who is not getting what I wonder...

You think as if we're some third world country where greater powers have come in and exploited our resources, altered our politics, manipulated our currency, raped our environment, but the truth is that America has been an economic powerhouse for a long time now, with GDP second to none, doing trade wherever we can find trading partners -- to make money. We're some 6 percent of the world's population drawing over 30 percent of the world's energy resources. Who, exactly, is taking advantage of us? How, exactly?

Any clue about the many other countries that can make the same claim about us? Or why? Of course not...

We are enjoying prosperity today thanks to decades of domestic and foreign policy that has eventually got us here despite all the ups and downs. That people are now going to praise Trump with our economic good fortune today is hard enough to take seriously, but to ignore all that SHOULD be getting done to further America's prosperity, all NOT getting done, you've got to be a little clueless to do that.

Now, again the one thing Trump is doing is embarrassing himself and America in front of the U.N. of all places. No matter what you think of the U.N., you would think any POTUS would take advantage of an opportunity to speak in terms of a better world -- for all. How we can foster better relations, trade, in a mutually agreeable manner. Of course. How do we defeat terrorism? Make the world a safer place where all people can strive toward better prosperity. Israel and the Palestinians too. Syrians and Venezuela. Europe and the Middle East.

This is what we're supposed to be hearing from our leader, world leaders, not this self-absorbed propaganda that actually brings a body like the U.N. to laughter! Talk about missed opportunity. Please don't anyone look at this blundering world stage performance and suggest America isn't better than this. Please!
Huh?

Quote:
Who, exactly, is taking advantage of us?
Umm..China, Mexico, Canada et al

Quote:
but to ignore all that SHOULD be getting done
According to whom? you?

Quote:
How we can foster better relations, trade, in a mutually agreeable manner. Of course.
We asked China nicely to stop charging us $500 billion in tariffs..EVERY YEAR, and they declined. Whats you solution to that?

Quote:
Make the world a safer place
Thats not the job of the POTUS. His job is to make AMERICA safe.

Quote:
America isn't better than this.
Spoken like a true globalist shill. America, despite its flaws is still the greatest nation in the world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 10:57 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 4 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,601,582 times
Trumps speech summed up in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQRiO1ihcQA

Old 09-27-2018, 12:02 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,542,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
No irony.."world leaders" would laugh no matter what Trump said.
How can they not? Everyone does.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:36 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
How can they not? Everyone does.
Yet they want the US to protect them, poor dears. They have plenty of money but expect Americans to pay for their protection.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:37 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Yet they want the US to protect them, poor dears. They have plenty of money but expect Americans to pay for their protection.
Really? How so?

Old 09-27-2018, 12:45 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Really? How so?

You've heard of NATO?

Old 09-27-2018, 12:47 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Huh?

Umm..China, Mexico, Canada et al

According to whom? you?

We asked China nicely to stop charging us $500 billion in tariffs..EVERY YEAR, and they declined. Whats you solution to that?

Thats not the job of the POTUS. His job is to make AMERICA safe.

Spoken like a true globalist shill. America, despite its flaws is still the greatest nation in the world
Looks to me you didn't read my comment...

And I can tell you have not bothered to consider "the other side of story" when it comes to any of these specific cases you sight. I've not got the time to get into it all, and I'm quite sure whatever else I explained would "go in one ear and out the other" just like my prior comment, but believe me when I tell you we Americans have done very well in the world trade game, and we've got the important numbers to prove it, beginning with a GDP order-of-magnitude greater than any.

As they say, "the business of America is business," and we've not been fools about getting ours for a very long time now. Good idea as well to pick on our two closest neighbors who are also significant trading partners, Mexico and Canada, as if they're our big problem and we're the big victim. Funny that sort of thinking...

Maybe that's why so many Mexicans want to become American citizens. They're tired of being taken advantage of in Mexico. Too many large Mexican corporations here in America too, compared to the other way around. Have another Coca Cola and maybe think about how much we struggle in the foreign trade arena. Might also check with American auto manufacturers about how their goal of selling more American cars in China is suddenly going. Just for starters...

Right. How is that going to help you with your belief in all things Trump wants you to believe without question?

PS: The job of POTUS is many things to many people, including the pursuit and protection of American interests, AKA our strategic interests, which brings us back to the business of America. What we do best...

Old 09-27-2018, 12:53 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
You've heard of NATO?
You mean the NATO that the U.S. is also a part of, that NATO? What about it?

Old 09-27-2018, 01:04 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
You've heard of NATO?
You bet.

Guess what happened the only time article 5 of NATO was invoked and immediately responded to by members.

9/11.

Who came to WHOSE aid?

Facts, not fiction.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:31 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
You bet.

Guess what happened the only time article 5 of NATO was invoked and immediately responded to by members.

9/11.

Who came to WHOSE aid
?

Facts, not fiction.
No one that I recall on 9/11 (some one correct me if I'm wrong) when Bush said, we're going after terrorist, a call out to our allies, you could hear a pin drop, as the silence was deafening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies