Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 07:32 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
So if a woman is drunk to the point she blacks out and so does the guy and she wakes up to find she's had sex but remembers nothing and reports it as a rape, that's only the mans fault?

What about if she's so drunk that she's sitting on someones lap and grinding and then things are taken to the next step only she was really drunk and regrets it the next day. Is that only the man's fault?

Because you should hear what happens on college campuses all across the country if you think these situations are rare.

So would I, but it appears we're in the minority. Some just want a carte blanche policy that no matter what predicates sex, if the woman decides the next day she didn't consent, or doesn't remember anything, then it's rape.

That is also wrong and I would never support that in a million years. I don't know who these "some" are but they are just as bad as men who assault women.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:35 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
So because the majority of assaults don't happen that way - it's an invalid point about whether women can do something to better protect themselves?
Yeah, it is. You're talking a tiny % of the time.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:35 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Where does this walking in a ghetto street alone at night in skimpy clothing thing even come from? Who does that? How and why?
I was using it as an example to make my point. We all know that some things are safer than others. And it is your responsibility to protect yourself.

So wear your seatbelt and lock your doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No, it won't increase the odds, that's not how individual odds work. A woman could stay in her house 24/7 with her husband and STILL BE RAPED BY HER HUSBAND.
Stop with this all-or-nothing fallacy crap. I never claimed it would stop all rapes.

All I have said is, since a lot of rapes are the result of things like girls getting too drunk to give adequate consent. Then if they had not gotten too drunk, they likely wouldn't have gotten raped.

And the same thing can be applied to men as well. Some men simply should not drink. And many acts of violence, sexual or otherwise, would never have occurred had it not been for alcohol.

What I was trying to do was show that, there isn't a set amount of rape, or a set amount of rapists. It isn't like if a rapist can't find a scantily-dressed girl in a bar, he will start roaming the neighborhoods, breaking into houses looking for women to rape.

Rape is mostly a crime of opportunity and a crime of passion. A crime of passion means an impulsive crime. Usually the result of a strong but temporarily feeling(usually anger, but can be caused by various other sources), which you often feel ashamed of later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_of_passion

If you remove the opportunities, and you remove the passion, you remove most crime.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:37 PM

Why do we have 100 threads on this and not any on how we need to be changing men's behaviors? How to raise sons not to rape instead of women to not life live for fear of being raped?

Old 10-05-2018, 07:37 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,598,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There seems to be a lot of controversy around this issue. Although there is little debate that women are not responsible for sexual assaults, do they have a duty to protect themselves? If so, how? Avoiding being alone? Not drinking to excess, avoiding skimpy clothing, what? Many individuals of both genders have expressed this opinion. And if she doesn't protect herself in whatever way is deemed necessary or fitting, is the perpetrator less at fault if an assault happens?

Personal responsibility sounds great in theory but in practice it is one-sided. This question's framing shifts the burden onto the victim and implicitly away from the perpetrator. How about instead the perpetrators take responsibility for the hurt and harm he or she causes others? Ditto for mainstream cultural attitudes. Disdaining victims (sex crimes or not) more than the perpetrator reduces motivation for others to think twice before initiating hurt, harm, and even degradation against others.

At any rate, it still penalizes those unable to resist the perpetrator. Some people are just better at physical confrontations than others. Under this logic, maybe we should replace school PE in grades 7-12 with hand-to-hand combat training up to military standards. Anybody here think THAT is a good idea?

Old 10-05-2018, 07:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Yeah, it is. You're talking a tiny % of the time.
Stop. Even if taking precautions to not overdrink saves only 10 women from having to be assaulted in some way, that's worth it and makes it a valid point.

In addition, women aren't just assaulted, far worse can happen to them.

The thread title is " Does a Woman Have a Duty to Protect Herself From Sexual Assault?"

It's not "Does a Woman Have a Duty to Protect Herself From Sexual Assault in the Majority of Cases?"

Old 10-05-2018, 07:40 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I was using it as an example to make my point. We all know that some things are safer than others. And it is your responsibility to protect yourself.

So wear your seatbelt and lock your doors.

Stop with this all-or-nothing fallacy crap. I never claimed it would stop all rapes.

All I have said is, since a lot of rapes are the result of things like girls getting too drunk to give adequate consent. Then if they had not gotten too drunk, they likely wouldn't have gotten raped.

And the same thing can be applied to men as well. Some men simply should not drink. And many acts of violence, sexual or otherwise, would never have occurred had it not been for alcohol.

What I was trying to do was show that, there isn't a set amount of rape, or a set amount of rapists. It isn't like if a rapist can't find a scantily-dressed girl in a bar, he will start roaming the neighborhoods, breaking into houses looking for women to rape.

Rape is mostly a crime of opportunity and a crime of passion. A crime of passion means an impulsive crime. Usually the result of a strong but temporarily feeling(usually anger, but can be caused by various other sources), which you often feel ashamed of later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_of_passion

If you remove the opportunities, and you remove the passion, you remove most crime.

So, blame it on the women or blame it on the alcohol, but don't blame it on the men who do it--sexually assault and rape women. Got it.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:42 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Quote:
So the entire world, including school, work, etc. is the same as a forest with Bears? If that is the case, do something about the bears. Because women need access to the world.
That is entitlement mentality and a privileged perspective. Wake up.

My Mother taught me every day you walk out the door there is a possibility you will not come back alive - I don't know what yours taught you but that is the stance I operate on and I don't expect a soft cuddly world where I am protected from lunatics and psychotics. I suppose some of you live in small towns well I live in the city and put my big boy pants on and expect no one to come to my rescue.

But keep thinking society at large and random strangers are obligated to protect anybody. The reality is the only allegiance is with your own tribe (family and friends).

Old 10-05-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Stop. Even if taking precautions to not overdrink saves only 10 women from having to be assaulted in some way, that's worth it and makes it a valid point.

In addition, women aren't just assaulted, far worse can happen to them.

The thread title is " Does a Woman Have a Duty to Protect Herself From Sexual Assault?"

It's not "Does a Woman Have a Duty to Protect Herself From Sexual Assault in the Majority of Cases?"
The title is very broad. It doesn't say do we have a duty not to get blackout drunk at parties, it asks do we in general have the duty to protect ourselves from sexual assault and we are telling you no, we can't. There can be no duty placed on us that we can't achieve.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
That is entitlement mentality and a privileged perspective. Wake up.

My Mother taught me every day you walk out the door there is a possibility you will not come back alive - I don't know what yours taught you but that is the stance I operate on and I don't expect a soft cuddly world where I am protected from lunatics and psychotics. I suppose some of you live in small towns well I live in the city and put my big boy pants on and expect no one to come to my rescue.

But keep thinking society at large and random strangers are obligated to protect anybody. The reality is the only allegiance is with your own tribe (family and friends).
Yes, I am entitled to go out in the world and do normal things, indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies