Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2018, 06:52 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Don't go to night clubs scantily dressed and get stupid drunk would be a good start. That's not to say a woman "deserves" it because she's in these venues, but the risk is always there as men are always looking for sex, and the night clubs and bars are the first place they look.
That isn't a comprehensive list. It's of no use if it's not comprehensive. Especially addressing how the LEAST amount of assaults occur.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The best way to avoid crime is to be in a low crime area. A low crime area is any place with low crime committing people. If not being at risk for sexual assault is end all be all for you, maybe just hang out with females and stay in low crime areas.
That is not a comprehensive list of all the things we should do or avoid. Did you read the title or the OP?

52,218 posts, read 52,642,422 times
I've seen the OP posting all over that other thread and she knows good well what people were saying. Several things were said all over that thread about using the most common sense you can, travel in groups, don't get too drunk, dress modestly, pay attention to your surroundings etc etc.

This thread is silly and the OP knows it. Things happen and even with the best intentions an assault can happen. The only thing people can do is us common sense and do the best they can. Nothing is guaranteed.

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
The title says it all. There are little bursts of things like don't drink too much and don't dress sexy. What else? What is the list of things that will keep us safe?

To be of any use, it must account for ALL the various ways we are sexually assaulted at work, school, by relatives, friends of family, etc. Not just drunken parties and alleys at 2:AM.
And for the next thread topic, let’s list all of the things infants, children, the disabled, and the elderly should be doing to protect themselves from sexual assault. At some point it just has to sink in that the victims are not the problem.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You already have an answer. Nobody needs to do a thing to protect themselves from having something bad happen.
The point is we can't. And the people saying we can do not seem to have their handy-dandy list of how we surely can ready.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
And for the next thread topic, let’s list all of the things infants, children, the disabled, and the elderly should be doing to protect themselves from sexual assault. At some point it just has to sink in that the victims are not the problem.
Well, per my OP the list would need to cover all that. For the people who assert that it's alllllllllllllllllllllll up to us and our behavior, I want to see their list. If they don't have one, maybe they should shut up.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:58 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Don't ride a school bus.
Don't go to school, middle school through grad school.
Don't wait at a bus stop, either for your middle school bus or a public bus.
Don't take public transit.
Never ever make eye contact.
Don't wear sweatpants.
Don't tutor someone of the opposite sex.
Don't walk to work.
Don't work at an internship.
Actually, just don't work at all.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:59 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,893 times
If you are not intending to consent:

Don't go somewhere private with the male.

It's rude to mislead and waste someone's time anyway.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I've seen the OP posting all over that other thread and she knows good well what people were saying. Several things were said all over that thread about using the most common sense you can, travel in groups, don't get too drunk, dress modestly, pay attention to your surroundings etc etc.

This thread is silly and the OP knows it. Things happen and even with the best intentions an assault can happen. The only thing people can do is us common sense and do the best they can. Nothing is guaranteed.
No, that isn't true. That is not all that is being said in there. Burkas have been brought up. Burkas.

Those common sense things you are referring to are great, of course, we should do them, I do them. I was taught early to.

They are not fool proof is what some don't seem to understand and they only account for a fraction of our daily lives.

Old 10-06-2018, 07:01 PM

8,037 posts, read 10,629,469 times
I think men have a responsibility to respect women, and that respect needs to be mutual. For the most part in these times, my experience is that they do. However, I also think women need to be cautious and aware that there are, unfortunately, some ignorant men who never "got the message" that need to be avoided, and sometimes "schooled" in what is proper behavior on their part. If they don't get the message, they need to be reported. Immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies