Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 12:55 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
The right of children to not be forced to recite the pledge has been well-established law since before I was born, and I’m 71. Legally, your opinion is totally wrong. Google West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnett, 1943 and get rid of your ignorance. It’s a burden to you.

It’s wrong morally and ethically, too.
Now a liberal says you have free speech and no consequences even if you're a minor lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 12:57 PM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
252 posts, read 236,382 times
Sometime around second grade, I stopped saying the Pledge of Allegiance. It was right after I said it and meant it. Because that's what a pledge is. Nothing has changed since, and I haven't said the Pledge since.

Ask yourself how hollow and impotent a pledge is that you have to say every day. If you're married, do you recite your wedding vows to your spouse every day?

I don't understand why people get so hung up on this.

Last edited by JayDiFiore; 10-19-2018 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-19-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
No one is saying the teacher forced her to stand. That was some poster here saying she could have at least stood "ut of respect." I don't think her standing would be enough for those calling her unAmerican. It seems like the teacher went above and beyond. Had he opened if up for debate, that would have been one thing. He alleged went overboard on it.

Standing up and reciting words you may or may not have memorized does not make you "more" American and being forced to do so is enither respectful of you not does it show respect to the Pledge, the flag or to the country.
Don't try to sugar coat it. The child is doing this because muh racism. She's giving the biggest finger possible to the whole country.

We should just have separate schools where the unAmerican people can burn the flag or what have you, just don't have my property tax go to them.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:10 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,223,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvitch View Post
Maybe she was a Jehovahs Witness they hate America also.

Did you read the article? Mot about Jehovahs Witnesses at all.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:13 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Don't try to sugar coat it. The child is doing this because muh racism. She's giving the biggest finger possible to the whole country.

We should just have separate schools where the unAmerican people can burn the flag or what have you, just don't have my property tax go to them.
No, we should show more respect to people who have different opinions than we do. Your mileage may vary. Standing up for what you believe in is not unAmerican.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:15 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Exactly. When I was kid everyone stood and recited the pledge. No one even thought not to. If some kid did not, surely the teacher would have something to say and the kid might've been put in detention and I wouldn't have a problem with that as children are not adults.
Some religions don't allow it. So you would force a child to violate their religion?

Old 10-19-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
No, we should show more respect to people who have different opinions than we do. Your mileage may vary. Standing up for what you believe in is not unAmerican.
So show some respect to the teacher's opinion then.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Some religions don't allow it. So you would force a child to violate their religion?
I never used the word force giving the pledge. In this case it's a racial based protest against the entire country that doesn't belong in school. What I think is in general the child should have a parental release to get out of an expected school activity.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:18 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
I respect his opinion. If what is alleged is true, I do not respect how he reacted toward the 14 year old.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:18 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Why? The teacher’s opinion on this subject is plainly ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies